2022 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Dec 23, 2021.

1. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I already prefer him to you-know- who. And actually DeLaGarza was solid as well.

2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Revenue, as of writing, isn't on a senior contract so isn't an option.

I'm sad Bruce punted on probably our best chance to win a trophy this year, especially with Buksa set to leave

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This comes up almost every year, but the reality is that almost all MLS coaches are incentivized to prioritize MLS games, so they'll make decisions about USOC with that in mind.

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I really don't care what he's incentivized to do. I think fans prioritize 4 things:
    1) Trophies
    2) Qualification to continental competition
    3) Entertaining on field product
    4) "Winning" Seasons (ie being competitive or making the playoffs)

the USOC is probably the 4th most prestigious trophy an MLS team can win (MLS cup/CCL, supporters shield, USOC) but its still a trophy. And winning it accomplises goal #2 as well. With Buksa's impending sale I dont see how we can honestly win MLS cup and even with Gil and Bou I think the on field entertainment is taking a hit.

Shaping up to be a mediocre season, and that's being optimistic

pwykes repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't expect you - or anyone, really - to agree with ownership/management on this, but their priorities ARE a reality. And so they will never accept what I bolded above.

6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    you and I both know the krafts don't give 2 shots about the team. The only management running this show is Bruce. Bruce doesn't care about the cup, which is his prerogative. He also doesn't care about fans, he showed that well enough as national team manager, so ita par for the course for him to give us the finger here again.

Just like this offseason, even though Bruce is empowered to act the way he is does not mean I have to sit here and like it

pwykes repped this.
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    1) I never suggested you should sit here and like it - I think I made that clear in my last post.

2) I don't think you're in a position to say what I know or don't know

3) I try to look at things as shades of gray, not black/white. It's not a matter of whether Kraft or Arena care or don't care. Of course they care, the question is how much and what are their priorities. I have zero doubt that Kraft wants a team that wins every Cup they can, just like we all do. How much does he want that, or how much does he want another USOC Cup, that's up for debate.

I have no doubt that Bruce wants to win every game and every competition he's in, whether it's ping-pong or MLS Cup or USOC. But, when you have limited resources and have to be best prepared for what you consider your highest priority, decisions have to be made.

And, FWIW, we've had this same complaint about not taking the USOC seriously with every coach that's been here. They all try to get through the early rounds without using too many starters and using the games to get less-used bench players playing time. If they make it through a few rounds, they start committing more. Its been the same for all Revs coaches and pretty much the same around the league. NYC beat us with their mainly 2nd lineup.

NER_MCFC repped this.
  8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Thats not remotely true.

Chanot, Amundson, and Parks are all nailed on starters for the 1st team, Andrade, Thiago, and Gray all have more than 1000 minutes for the senior team this year, and Jasson has over 700 as a rotational bench guy. The only true backups were the gk, striker, and 2/3 of the midfield.

Compared with the revs who only fielded 1 guy who is a starter (Polster), a couple of bench guys (maciel, Boateng, Rennicks, and Tico) and then 7 guys who don't see the field for the senior team.

that's before you compare the benches, the Revs has no Gil and no Buksa whereas the pigeons could bring on taty, santi Rodriguez, and even heber.

you're deluding yourself if you think nyc played their reserves.

pwykes repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three of the four semifinalists for the USOC are now set. On Tuesday night, Sacramento stunned the Galaxy, winning on the road 2-1. Luis Felipe scored from about 30 yards out, and you can see the goal here.

Then last night, NY stayed Red as RBNY easily beat NYCFC 3-0, and SKC demolished Omaha 6-0.

Orlando and Nashville play the last quarterfinal next Wednesday night. The winner of that game will play at RBNY. SKC hosts Sacramento in the other semi.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is a draw tonight to determine the hosts for the semis and the final.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, thanks. The bracket on the MLS site made it seem like that was set.

12. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    One of the commentators in the Red Bulls v NYCFC game made a good point about advancing through the tournament: teams that haven't had a prior run through the MLS cup playoffs can use the Open Cup experience of knock out games to get prepared for the playoffs. I know the team line is that MLS reg season and playoffs are priority but I thought that was a really good point and something our group missed out on this year after putting a 2nd team against NYCFC to prioritize getting the regular season back on track.

edcrocker and Feldspar repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but damn, they should have "fixed" this so SAC could host the Final if they made it there. It would have been really fun to watch that, and great for the lower division teams overall.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    In the big footballing countries, it must be a huge thrill for the players (and fans) to go to the top division club's stadium - here, eh, maybe not as much.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the "big footballing countries" they don't have to potentially take a 6 hour flight just to get to that top division club's stadium.