2022 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez? Really? Not Bell?

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    In the middle of a busy week for both teams, I expect they'll both be sprinkling in roster players - so we won't know till lineups are announced who looks stronger. I do think it's not going to be a typical home game for NYC - due to different surface and field dimensions. Given that the Revs are more experienced with field turf, it's a fairly neutral-ish site.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saving Bell for Saturday, assuming Kessler won't be back.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is a phone-it-in lineup.

firstshirt repped this.
  7. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Well, that was absolutely pathetic. The Revs were horrible and gave the ball away constantly and were no threat at all on offense. Really disappointed that Arena didn't treat this game seriously and field a team that could compete. Worst Revs game I've watched in years.

8. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get why they took the second team approach, even if as a fan I wish they'd taken more of a "play your best lineup" approach. Another trophy opportunity lost.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar G and Traustason didn't even make the trip.

Meanwhile, former Revs Academy player Joe Brito scored the game-winner in Omaha's cupset at Minnesota. Omaha (USL-L1) and Sacramento (USL-C) only non-MLS teams in the final 8. Orlando the only team in the final 8 to also reach the final 4 in the previous edition (2019).

Quarterfinals (June 21-22):
    Nashville @ Orlando
    NYC @ NYRB
    Union Omaha @ SKC
    Sacramento @ LAG

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

edcrocker repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real thing I took out of last night was that we should be in good hands with Petrovic going forward. The rest of the game was utter garbage. And yet, they had a chance to steal it.

And then Farrell pulled off his 2/3 times a year move....

BERich, rkupp and Feldspar repped this.
  12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really was pleased with what I saw from Petrovic but I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking when he saw the $hit show in front of him... Was he thinking, "What have I gotten into by signing here?"?

BERich repped this.
  13. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, he's played with Revs 2 already, so he's seen most of those guys before. If he was wondering anything, I bet it was whether anyone in the US cares about the Open Cup (given the lineup and the field they were playing on).

Minutemanii repped this.
  14. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I didn't see the final number but at half it was something like 72% possession for NYCFC. Our 2nd team just couldn't hang with theirs. I expected more with Polster and Maciel in midfield.

Rennicks put in a good effort despite the lack of build up play to him. In the 1st or 2nd stoppage time he had a gut busting run with I think Gray from NYCFC and beat him to a through ball that I thought he had no business getting to. Good sign for his stamina.

Esmir looked pretty raw but I can see the talent there. Hopefully he gets up to speed with the decision making as he integrates in more with the 1st team.

15. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that bothers me is that Bruce went for it against Cincinnati with a pretty strong lineup and then put that lot out there last night. If he had done the reverse I would have understood. It makes sense using a stronger lineup as you progress in the tournament. This brought back memories of the Nichol days when he wanted nothing to do with the non-league matches. I kept thinking "Why am I watching this when the Celtics are on". I did record the Celtics and watched it afterwards.

Long clear
    Take a quick breath
    Scramble defending
    Repeat...

Rennicks worked is butt off and so did Polster but between them I was surprised they finished with 11 on the field.
    Maciel was invisible
    Esmir shows promise. I wish he had taken that ball down instead of trying to head it in.

Feldspar and pwykes repped this.
  16. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was thinking much the same last night too. Why not run out the second stringers last weekend or this weekend, and bring out Gil, Buksa, and the heavy hitters against NYC? We are able to overcome missing three points in the standings. We cannot overcome getting knocked out of a knockout competition.

pwykes repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Looked to me like both coaches colluded to use the same plan: use mainly backups to shorten the game to 25-30 minutes, then bring on a bunch of the main guys.

Clearly their backups were a lot better than ours - at least in critical areas regarding having some midfield control and minimal possession. But, I think Arena's gamble paid off in that it was still a scoreless game at the point when it was time to bring in some 1st teamers. And the, particularly when Bou came in, we started to get some reasonable chances.

But, we had 2 or 3 real chances to score and didn't finish them. Farrell turned it over in the extra time and we were playing from behind.

In the end, Arena used just about everyone except Turner (but Petrovic filled in just fine), Buksa and Gil, but Gil is the critical piece that we were missing all game.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll also add that, as usual, NYC relied on fouling to disrupt our attack any time we managed to go forward.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 Minutemanii, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Normally I'd agree with this but since we got off to such a bad league start, we are still in the zone of us not being able to afford to go any games without points; at least until we steer the boat into safer waters.

NER_MCFC and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I think the bad league start played into the decision to go with almost a full set of starters against CIN. My guess is Arena wanted to build some momentum coming off the 2-2 home tie with CLB.

21. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind having the kids play last night. I did mind how poorly they played. That wasn't an encouraging sight. The bright spot was the goalie, Petrovic played well.

I'm going to repeat myself, the Rev's shape is not good. They are easily pulled out of shape, then they aren't in a position to support their teammates. I think NYCFC does a very good job maintaining their shape. I believe that is one of the reasons that they were always intercepting the Revs passes. That and the fact that some of the Revs passes were to no one in particular.

22. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I don't feel as negatively as everyone else about how the Revs played. Given that they threw out a scratch lineup, including a guy who I had literally never heard of (Reveno), it counts as a success for that approach that they were able to keep the game scoreless into extra time.

And NYCFC fielded a much stronger lineup, one with four or five starters, not just one.

So in the end, a reasonably close game, away, to maybe the best team in the league? It was a loss, sure, but hardly a humiliation.

edcrocker repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Reveno was a Revs 2nd round SuperDraft pick in January of this year out of UCLA. He signed with R2 in February, and leads them in minutes played this season.

edcrocker repped this.
  24. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did a decent job in the back.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of bad giveaways, but completely agree. He looked solid for most of the game.