2022 Gameday 8: RSL at NYCFC - April 17th; 11:00am MT.

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand why Wood was frustrated there, as he had no defenders in front of him but the ball didn't come.

2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tactical is my guess. Game Wednesday. Get back to a 3-5-2 and hope for improvement.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, is Meram off today or what.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This NYCFC is going to have no problem breaking down the three-man backline. Especially when Schmitt on the left isn't going to track back.

What a nightmare for Schmitt today.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jazzy getting into the terribleness. About to be five.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one is just embarrassing.

We've lost 6-0 in New York before I think, to the Red Bulls once.

7. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC was last in the league before today. Bad timing that RSL has to play them when they decide to look like the reigning champs.
    RSL needs more difference makers, ASAP.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Sounds like getting sand blown into my eyes, ears, nose, and everywhere and everything else was better than watching this game.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Matt Doyle:

"RSL have been getting results, and they have been playing hard but they have not been playing well. Sooner or later you run out of miracles and the breaks you’d been getting start bouncing in the other direction. The underlying numbers have been sounding that alarm about the Claret-and-Cobalt since Matchday 1, and they’re now winless in four.

If you want more than underlying numbers, however, try this: In those four games they’ve only generated 13 shots on goal, and have conceded 25.

That’s not a path to long-term success, and I truly hope that new ownership group is planning to strengthen the squad with a DP No. 10 this summer."

RSLer, georg and Med_Phys repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The spine needs support every which way you look
    And if we sign a DP playmaker, where do you put Kreilach?

I relinquish match day threads starts. This feels a pretty resounding way to end that from me for a bit

goobx1 repped this.
  11. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Start time for me was 1am Monday morning. I happened to wake up around halftime, check the score and was happy to go back to bed. I knew it was done then but woke up wondering if they at least ended at 4-1 or something respectable after the first half. Nope.

I have nothing to add about the game itself but I would echo the sentiment that this is perhaps reality catching up with a team that had some lucky breaks early on in the season that might not last without addressing some bigger issues.

12. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if we're supposed to pay attention to the numbers. What does the eye test tell us from the past month?

What's that, the stuff we have been asking for since the end of last season still hasn't been addressed?

RSLer, evilradar, acima and 2 others repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How far back on the spine do you go? MacMath/Ochoa?
    I think Glad and Silva is fine for this year (if healthy), but does Pablo prefer 3 or 4 in the back?
    CDM has to be priority #1. Everton should not have been brought back, btw.
    Damir can play in the middle, but you have to have creative wing players.
    Hard to evaluate Wood and Rubin if they aren't getting service. Cordova is not the answer up top.

Wish we knew what kind of resources RSL has at their disposal in addition to roster spots. Team needs difference makers, but how many do they have room for?

Also, can this team please get someone closer to Aaron's level at LB if they're going to play 4 in the back? It's been a huge need for years!

14. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the early start, kinda glad. That venue is different - RSL's face-planted there before. No excuses, and it's kind of a reversion to mean on outcomes (we've probably over-produced on points considering the performances). Isn't the end of the world.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas is a shit show and could use some good publicity. Selling Ochoa to them would be a no brainer - though I honestly can’t remember if he was a childhood Chivas or America fan.

Counting on Silva to be healthy at CB is like counting on Meram to be consistent: it’s not who they are

Caldwell coming in and displacing Luiz is all that you need to know for how dumb of a move it was to keep him. I’d rather we have 2 new signings there as I don’t particularly like Ruiz and Caldwell is just a Boston version of Besler

Kreilach is the best player and the most limiting player on this roster. Reminds me of Ronaldo at United. There is no doubting his quality, but the pieces around him have to do a lot of work and be quite specific for the team to succeed.

wood started the year good enough. Great positional sense if lacking on the finishing. He should retain the starting spot. I like a lot of what I’ve seen from Cordova. I also see why he was loaned so quickly. Augsburg want him to come here and find some strength on the ball and get his finishing touch figured out.

I don’t know what to expect of Rubin. The slump he ended the year on last year was extremely concerning.

All in all, this roster is very incomplete and quite raw. In a way I’m happy we’re on a skid as it doesn’t paper over that fact with results that were won by heart and mentality. Talent will show through, both good and bad

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    First things first, this is not a goldfish game that is to be locked away and forgotten. This is a 5 alarm, tornado is on the way, what's that climbing out of the water that looks like Godzilla, oh it's Godzilla, type of game. This is some serious stuff with only a bit of exaggeration.

I just keep thinking about that seminal quote from Dennis Green. "Real Salt Lake are exactly who we thought they were." Exclamation point for emphasis.

For me the game yesterday is closer to who this team actually is than any of the other games so far this season. Harsh, but true. Still, this is a decent team or at least could be a decent team this year. But to think that this roster can hang with the more talented teams in this league is crazy. Anyone that watched this game with a critical eye should have been disabused of that silly little notion.

All the heart in the world isn't going to carry you through a season if you don't actually have the talent to play in this league.

There were some contributing factors to this game, the field being one of them I would argue. It reminded me of a quote from The Holy Grail about Camelot, "Well, on second thought, let's not go to NYCFC. It is a silly place." That has to be one heck of a home field advantage, at least when they get to play there. The size of the pitch, which they claim is regulation, the different kind of grass and length, and knowing how to play in such tight quarters really can be advantageous. But what an utter embarrassment for the league to still be playing in that Mickey Mouse set up. Unbelievable. Get a stadium.

Also, having better players. A lot better players. That helped out NYCFC quite a bit.

I watched every minute of that game. EVERY. LAST. MINUTE.

If not for some mercy from Elfath this game rightfully should have ended 7-0. Thank you, I guess?

This team got taken apart like RSL should dismantle the Hailstorm on Wednesday. And that is being kind.

Going down the starting list of players for RSL how did they do? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being scoring at least 4 goals I would rate them as follows:

Ruiz-5-basically was just regular Pablo but just not that bad but definitely not great either.
    Wood-5-no speed and no help makes Bobby look not so good. Also, don't kick the ball at the keeper every time but props for keeping it on frame.
    Krielach-4-I gave him a point for every touch he had on the ball, pretty much
    Meram-4-should not be a starter on a decent team but that's not anywhere close to who RSL is at the moment but bless his heart, he tries.
    Cordova-5.5-this guy will get better when he isn't playing DOWN to the level of his team mates.
    Caldwell-4.5-would make a good back up player in the midfield on a decent team. This is not a decent team at the moment so he plays.
    MacMath-3.5-oh Zach. Not your fault only because RSL didn't make this game close but why make it so easy for Ochoa to get the starting job back? If it wasn't for your 2 brain farts or if you hadn't "MacMathed" it a couple times RSL loses by a respectable 4-6 goals.
    Schmitt-1.5-And a special welcome to RSL's new team manager! Bag the balls Tate. All of them. I don't care if they got wet. Put them in the bag. If you're just going to watch the game it's better if you do it on the sideline. Damn. Why did you kick me in the face?
    Herrerra-5-for not getting re-injured after playing the entire game. I know, why?
    Silva-6-Wtihout a doubt Marcelo has been the most improved and possibly the most important player on this roster. The guy has suddenly become solid. Knock on wood, but damn, what a surprise.
    Orozco-4-yup, he's 17. A for effort though.

Subs

Besler-Why?
    Luiz-Why is he on this team? Why?
    Rubin-Never going to be the answer, ever. Never, ever, ever.
    Chang-zero vision and is the best he is ever going to be and that is just not good enough. At least on a decent team.
    Brody-He played in the game. I think.

Is it time to be concerned? HELL YEA. Time to panic. Ahhhhh mabye.

The first 4 games 10 points. The next 4 games 2 points. That is a tad concerning. Someone set off the air raid warning because RSL is plummeting back to earth rather quickly.

The next game will be telling. Away to PTFC who seems to have our number so lets see what happens and see if a decent result or hard fought loss puts everyone back on the "this is the most talented team RSL has ever had" type bandwagon.

Without any signings or upgrades in this quickly closing window this should be one hell of a long summer. But then again just barely making the playoffs is the goal, right?

RSLer, 15 to 32 and Med_Phys repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot and slept through this game. Seems like RSL did as well.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC is absolutely plowing through Toronto today in what I think our game could easily have been. TFC had two chances in half one and scored each - even led 2-0 - but NYCFC had chance after chance and was just irresistible. They're really fun to watch when your team isn't on the receiving end of it.