2022 Gameday 8: RSL at NYCFC - April 17th; 11:00am MT.

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Apr 14, 2022.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 15 to 32, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    RSL heads on their first of two road MLS games this weekend, doing a coast-to-coast trip with a stop at home for USOC in between. This is an interesting matchup for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that NYCFC are the defending MLS Cup champions. The injury bug seems to have waned a bit, hopefully some of the first team guys (Glad/Herrera) are able to be back in the lineup and/or get time. Playing at Yankee stadium (the third home venue for NYCFC this year) poses a really challenging task.

Some tidbits on NYCFC
    • Earlier mentioned: they're the defending MLS Cup Champions. On Wednesday they were eliminated from Champions League play after dropping a 4-2 aggregate score line to Seattle. Their "home" game was played at Red Bull Arena in Jersey since Yankee stadium isn't CONCACAF approved. Which... yeah, that seems strange since it's somehow ok for MLS play
    • As for league play, they've been pretty atrocious. They have just 4 points from 5 games played and have only scored 5 goals in the season.
    • So... that's not to say they don't have talent - they have plenty - but it is to say that they have prioritized CCL play and aren't firing on all cylinders in the league.
    • Troublesome for NYCFC, nobody has scored more than a single goal in league play. Maxi Moralez and Castellanos haven't even registered an assist and they are typically the team leaders. It's hard to really pull anything from their stats with everything else going on.
    • Everything considered this looks a great opportunity for RSL to get at least a point, if not 3, from a top team that is down right now. That said, looks can be deceiving. Having just fallen out of CCL play, and having gone four straight games without a win or even draw, this team should be hungry to prove that they're better.
    • Really strange start time, but that's for reasons.
    For RSL, I expect a 4-2-3-1 again since Kreilach is on the field. It's kind of disappointing that he limits our ability to pull off a 4-3-3 right now. Glad isn't 90 fit yet, I imagine, so I don't see a 3 man backline, either.

Cordova
    Meram Kreilach Chang
    Ruiz Caldwell
    Schmitt Orozco Silva Brody
    MacMath

Note: I could see a 4-3-2-1 Christmas Tree type setup with Luiz stepping in for Chang. This would put us in a bit more of a defensive shape to cut off the playmakers for NYCFC. It doesn't offer a ton going forward, but I don't see how we play this one in any open manner and not lose.

RSLer, rslfanboy and Med_Phys repped this.
  2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injury updates I've heard are kind of odd.
    Glad might be back soon (I thought it would be 6+weeks).
    Herrera should probably start.
    Holt might not be out the 6 months?
    Haven't heard about Kappelhof.
    Jasper might be back this weekend (I think I'd play him over Everton at this point). Besler should be ready for some minutes (not sure if he should be getting minutes though).
    Anyone think Halsey or Farnsworth will be "healthy" this season?
    Wood and Rubin should be pushing for a start (Cordova hasn't impressed with his finishing, love what he creates though; shouldn't be the 1 up top if he can't finish.)
    Apparently Joni is expected to be out quite awhile.
    Anyone hear differently?

They should absolutely be expecting points this weekend. No reason not to try for 3.
    I expect full rotation with lots of Monarchs/Academy kids for the USOC game (they better win though).

rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this portion. I understand that NYCFC is down right now, but that team is absolutely loaded. A point there would be a great result.

RSLer, rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC looked great against Seattle last night in half two. Hit the post twice and Frei played lights out in goal for Seattle. First time this season I've seen them play well, and hopefully there's a lull again this weekend.

rslfanboy repped this.
  5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think the early start for the game on Sunday is because it's a double header day at Yankee Stadium. Buy a ticket for the Yankees get in free to see NYCFCFC and get your picture taken with the Easter Bunny.

Something like that.

I think that a point on the road is a good result but so far this season RSL has proven to be a team that is able to get points anywhere so 3 may be a stretch but definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

This is the game that Cordova breaks out. Calling it now. 9 goals. Ok 3. 2?

9-1 RSL and a great souvenir with the Easter Bunny.
    [​IMG]

6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Also, isn't that game on Sunday the 17th?

7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I double checked and it is on Sunday the 17th

8. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday morning match, How Bazaar, How Bazaar. Would be happy with a point. In this one.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MacMath

Herrera Orozco Silva Schmitt

Pablo Caldwell

Cordova Damir Meram

Wood

Bench: Gomez; Brody; Besler, Everton, Davis; Rubin, Garcia {and one open spot}

Med_Phys repped this.
  10. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what's going on with Chang? Not much offense off the bench.
    Doesn't look like NYCFC is resting/missing many players. It'll be interesting to see what they look like today.

11. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC broadcast is calling it a 4-3-3. What's the local broadcast saying? I missed the first half last week. Did it look different with Kreilach back?

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL nation does have Chang on the bench.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damir probably should have scored there. And by this point in the season, Cordova could have half a dozen assists.

14. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MacMath coming up big early!
    And then Schmitt loses Taty...

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why we assigned Tate Schmitt to defend the Golden Boot winner on the corner - maybe it was a zonal assignment? - but he did poooooorly. 1-0 NYCFC.

16. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they're just toying with RSL

17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are getting spanked.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll have the image of Schmitt getting beaten again on the second goal, but there wasn't a central defender within fifteen yards of the play.

19. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC has so much speed throughout the field. Not exactly something RSL can usually compete with.
    Friendly reminder that NYCFC can't play CONCACAF games on this field. It's tiny and think it plays against RSL's strengths.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked good for the first five minutes of the game, and no more than that. We're fortunate New York doesn't have three or four.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might not be a worse half for an RSL player than what we've seen from Tate Schmitt this half. Now responsible for giving up a penalty.

It was interesting that Schmitt got the start over Brody. I have to think Brody is coming out for half two.

3-0.

22. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pablo is going to play a back 4, RSL needs a high quality LB.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steps away from Easter activities to check score

yeah

Not watching this show

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On paper it says 4231 or maybe a 433

But I have no idea how that isn’t a 424 from rsl and it plays right into nyc strengths

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't listen to the halftime show. Is Cordova hurt or is he the tactical shift (off for Brody)?