2022 Game Day 25: Real Salt Lake @ SEA Sunday August 14, 8:00pm MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Aug 8, 2022.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Big, Big, Big, game on Sunday in the Emerald City for RSL. Seattle has a much easier closing final 10 games than RSL so 3 points is a must if you want to make their ability to catch RSL as difficult as possible.

RSL with one (1) win in June and one (1) win in July and 3 draws and 5 loses in that time over 10 games. That's 9 points since the end of May. That's a cement shoes over board while "fishing" type fall down the table.

10 games left with 5 away and 5 at home alternating starting Sunday away to the not as good as expected Sounders.

And the schedule only gets tougher.

VAN Home
    FCD Away
    MINN Home
    LAFC Away
    DC Rooney's Home
    ATX Away
    CINCY Home
    LAG Away
    PTFC Home

RSL is only 4 points out of 11th place, 3 points out of 3rd and 17 out of 1st.

4-2 RSL as they bring the LAFC effort to Seattle and magic restored to the season.

RSLer repped this.
  2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could be this optimistic. I'm hoping RSL scores and doesn't give up more than 2 goals.

Sunday
    Road match
    Turf
    Opponent is good

This isn't lining up well for RSL.

RSLer, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I predict RSL to win every week at 3-1 so I thought I would change it up for fun.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a bad feeling that Rusnak is going to have himself a game in this one. Seattle will be pissed after their loss to Atlanta. A win here vaults them ahead of RSL. I see this going poorly.

Who knows, though, RSL has shown a history of doing ok in Seattle in the past.

2-1 Seattle with a late winner from Rusnak on a pen

Med_Phys repped this.
  5. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    RSL will win without a single shot on goal.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller gonna come down from the commentary booth and throw a shot in the goal for us again?

rslfanboy, Ismitje and goobx1 repped this.
  7. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle's good, but they're not LAFC. Maybe playing that side last week, will help us improve this week.

Perhaps we squeak out a draw...but IMO we will continue to see more of what FCD did to us (extra pressure on our central midfielders, and packing the box to defeat the aerial game).

8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly crossing the ball into the 6 without Wood and Kreilach isn't working well. Honest tactics question. What is the counter strategy when the other team is packing it in? Is it just shoot from further out? Speed on the counter? What should we be seeing if teams continue those strategies against us.

goobx1 and rslfanboy repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone has the answer to this then they'd solve the problem of Man City never winning the Champions League... But really, there are a couple methods that teams try to break a low block. Most notably is having creative players through the middle that can pull out defenders, create gaps, and then slice through. Man City vs West Ham type stuff.

Good write up here on methods to break a low block

For RSL, the approach from Pablo has been to use width to stretch the defending team out and then try to pass/cross into the gaps created.

Med_Phys and rslfanboy repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle hasn't been hitting their potential all year. After CCL they have been in a funk of focus, I'd say. This is the time of year, though, where they either decide to break that funk or be a playoff borderline team. I look at that roster and think it's the former.

Which scares me because this game gives them a very easy path to being back in the playoff grouping. The bulletin board for this game should just say "6-pointer for playoffs". For both teams. This is the type of game where we see just how good of a coach Pablo is. A draw really does nothing for Seattle, so they'll be aggressive.

I think Pablo sticks to his guns on lineup, but if I was picking I'd go with this:

Julio
    Luna Savarino
    Meram Ruiz Chang
    Brody Silva Glad Herrera
    MacMath

Loffelsend is the unfortunate victim here - but it's not like he's coming off a great performance against LAFC.
    Julio / Cordova up top is a tossup to me, honestly.
    I want Luna on the field for creativity

11. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the formation idea, might be time to try something different. Cordova is clearly not a single forward, but I'm not sure Julio is either. I don't know about the defensive capability of the midfield, but it's not like they've been shutting down teams lately.
    I honestly think they played pretty well on Saturday, so we shouldn't expect Pablo to change things based on the unflattering scoreline. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Pablo throws a curve due to the number of minutes on some of the vets' legs (plus the turf) and we see a lineup nobody predicted.

It's about 2 weeks out, but RSL does have 6 games from 8/27-9/17.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Seattle will be aggressive so Julio is my pick to hit them on counters

it’ll be the same 4231 we’ve seen for the last little bit though. Chang replacing one of the forwards in the lafc game

goobx1 repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Meram in the middle of the field with 2 of Chang, Savarino and Cordova on the wings? Kind of surprised we haven't seen that. Meram and Luna each play a half. Seems like the way to go until Wood or Musovski are back.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This is a really big game for RSL.

By the end of the evening on Sunday they could be either close to or in 3rd place with victory over Seattle OR in 7th just one point over the line with teams like LA, Vancouver, and Colorado breathing down their neck.

If results on Saturday don't go their way the pressure could be rather immense for RSL to get a result.

Should be fun!

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm typically the guy that doesn't like saying that a player has to play a specific spot. I think the whole "natural [insert spot]" is moronic... so naturally I'm gonna say that I don't know where else Meram plays other than left mid / left wing.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a fan of playing in the last game of the weekend. Gives me no chance to work the yucks out if we lay an egg in the game. Ah, well.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MacMath

Herrera Glad Silva Brody

Chang Ruiz Loeffelsend Meram

Savarino Cordova

Bench: Gomez; Kappelhoff, Holt; Caldwell, Besler, Luna, Hidalgo; Julio, Rubin

A full bench!

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a joke. Silva's early season form is long gone.

Off the crossbar and then off MacMath's head, and we're down early again.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were quite lucky that Ruidiaz was barely offside on that one.

Med_Phys repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're bailed out by VAR. Still a ridiculous play to give up such a good chance on/from.

goobx1 repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meram with all the time in the world doesn’t even look up as he clears it directly to a Sounders player.

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Silva did badly.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bizarre sequence. Garbage free kick from Seattle, equally bad ball right back to them, they dribble it out of bounds.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We took a shot!

RSLer repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunny with some fairly pointed commentary about the transfer window.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.