2022 Game Day 23: Real Salt Lake @ San Jose Sat. July 30, 8:00pm MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Jul 26, 2022.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Well, well, well, things are starting to tighten up around the old MLS Western Conference Table.

1-LAFC 45
    2-ATX 41
    3-Minn 34
    4-RSL 33
    5-DAL 32
    6-NSH 31
    7-LAG 30

8-PTFC 30
    9-SEA 29

10-VAN 26
    11-HOU 25
    12-COL 24

13-SJ 22
    14-SKC 20

7 teams for 5 playoff spots with 3 teams with an outside chance of getting into playoff contention with a possible late season run with a 9th playing RSL this weekend.

RSL really screwed the pooch with their late run of form.

3 points against San Jose seems like an absolute must with the schedule as it plays out through the end of the season.

3-1 RSL what the heck.

rslfanboy repped this.
  2. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    SJE with no Wando?! Hell yeah we win.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No idea who that is, but Wondo will be there, just not playing.

Beerking, 15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  4. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL's 4th out of 14, San Jose is 13th out of 14, they're a mess, we beat them 2-0 last month when they came to town. We should run over them like tiny ants. Crush their souls like so many cardboard coffee cups.

SJE 2 - 1 RSL. Because we're RSL.

Okay, so metaphors aren't my strong suit.

Allez RSL, Beerking, 15 to 32 and 2 others repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christian Espinoza

If RSL shuts him down, they stand a chance. If he's allowed to have a game, RSL loses.

It's Minnesota and Reynoso all over again

6. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    That’s for the spelling lesson. And since Wando can’t score a goal on us (or three) then I don’t give a ********.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Rough day? It's all good, friend. :thumbsup:

evilradar and 15 to 32 repped this.
  8. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Ah man! Another typo?! I guess that's what you get for trying to type out a quick response on the toilet at work :oops:

rslfanboy and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we won't have Ruiz, which means either Caldwell or Besler will start next to Loffelsend.

I am curious if Julio is fit enough to be considered a starter again or if Pablo isn't going to tempt fate on that again.

XI expected:

Cordova
    Savarino
    Meram Loffelsend Caldwell Chang
    Brody Silva Glad Herrera
    MacMath

10. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Ok, I don't do this much because I'm still admittedly a noob but here's a lineup option for SJ.

3-5-2
    Savarino Cordova
    Brody Luna Loffelsend Caldwell Herrera
    Silva Holt Glad
    MacMath

4-3-3
    Meram Cordova Savarino
    Luna Loffelsend Caldwell
    Brody Silva Glad Herrera
    MacMath

I think that Luna needs an opportunity to eclipse expectations. Amirite?

Probably not a game you mess with the formation but I do like the idea of the 3-5-2.

Not enough defense?

Thoughts?

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The passing diagram in the FCD game was about as much of a 2-4-4 as you can get. The 3-5-2 pivots to a 5-3-2 very easily and actually offers more defensive cover than the 2-4-4 that Pablo has had the team play. So, saying it offers not enough defense, to me, seems completely backwards.

I'm a very strong proponent of the 3-5-2 - especially for this roster. The talent is mostly wide players. We don't have a midfield that would be considered dominant in any fashion or overly talented. They get the job done, mostly, but it's not where Pablo should funnel possession or his system.

The 3-5-2 listed above is exactly how I'd go about this game. On paper you could call it a 3-4-2-1 with Luna and Savarino sitting underneath Cordova and allowed to roam.

That said, I don't see Pablo dropping Meram or Chang, let alone both. The aforementioned style of pinging the ball wide rides heavily on those two being the width in front of Brody and Herrera. Pablo rides those two players HEAVILY to get things accomplished.

I fully expect the same 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 setup on Saturday. I fully expect a loss, too.

Med_Phys and goobx1 repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I went back and forth on Chang and Meram in place of Brody. Can you put either of them in instead of Brody and expect to have any type of defensive help down that side? The only reason I kept Brody in was for defensive cover. I would let Herrera bomb forward with Caldwell and Brody helping underneath in front of the back three.

I want to see Luna get some minutes. He looked like a different player in the very few minutes that he had in the last game than his time in the last two appearances. You could put Meram in for Luna which may be a "stronger" starting 11 and then bring Luna in early and Chang for Brody if you're behind and/or are looking for a goal late.

You could also bring on Julio for Cordova for a spark or for a pesky defender late or Julio for Caldwell if you are trying to add scoring opportunities.

But as you know, I'm the last guy to ask about tactics.

3-5-2
    Savarino Cordova
    Brody Luna Loffelsend Caldwell Herrera
    Silva Holt Glad
    MacMath

Med_Phys repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a fan of the 3-5-2 and was hoping to see it again by now. The problem seems to be that the tactics aren't really changing even if the formation changes. I don't know why the only offensive strategy seems to be cross in the ball when we don't have a player that can do anything with it. Cordova might be the best option for that strategy, but why is that the strategy being used? Surely there's another option?

I like the 3 man backline because then there's actual subs off the bench that can impact the game. Rubio, Sava, Julio or Cordova can play up top. Meram, Sava and Luna can play underneath the forward(s). Schmitt, Brody, Herrera, Chang and Meram can provide the width. Ruiz, Jasper and Caldwell are well suited to a 2 man d-mid setup. All 4CB's work with 3 in the back and Holt looks best in that formation, somehow.

RSL basically hasn't looked very good for the last 8 games. They beat some teams at the bottom of the West and that's about it other than lots of disappointment. Hoping to see Pablo adjust something, because whatever it is he's wanting the team to do isn't working.

goobx1 and rslfanboy repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    You use work toilets!!?? :eek:

15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Meram can benefit from a game’s rest. This one is a good time to do it. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Julio get the start. SJE, at home, isn’t going to park the bus. Julio’s speed can be more successfully used than we see against teams at the RioT.

goobx1 repped this.
  16. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    The boss makes a dollar and I make a dime...

15 to 32 and Beerking repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some damn fine players - and good strikers - coming into the league here in this window. Austin is about to have the best strike duo in the league, having acquired Sebastian Driussi's old strike partner from Zenit to play alongside him.

RSLer repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Well ******** me!

The rich get richer. This is the kind of talent that is really hard to come by in January. Also, to lure to SLC. Damn.

Med_Phys and 15 to 32 repped this.
  19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm out of town/country for this game... anyone have a free stream link they will use for this game?

20. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally I go into a match like this with some hope and confidence we can come up with a result but not this time. I see us going down by 2 or more goals.

Allez RSL repped this.
  21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I hear the “not so great” KSL.com livestream works abroad. @boris9678 would know best. Maybe @Ismitje too?

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  22. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    With a VPN set to the region I almost always use RSL on KSL with good success. No annoying ad blocking necessary or extra subscription signing in or around. If I’m desperate for a free stream I can’t access the firstrowsports is sometimes a good back up if you can deal with annoying ad pop up’s.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://video.ksltv.com/rslonksl

@SoccerMan94043
    That's the direct link. You can always check it now to see if it works, it'll just play last weeks game. 30 minutes before kickoff is when pregame starts. If for some reason you have the feed playing before then, you have to refresh it or it'll keep playing the old game

Allez RSL and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  24. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you!

25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! When I was routinely traveling for work, I had a VPN for this purpose... but covid and no travel that is gone and this is a one time vacation so not going that route now.