2022 Game Day 22: FCD at Real Salt Lake Sat. July 23, 8:00pm MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I followed the game on the MLS app while at the Sounders-Rapids game. Rapids played a man up for 50 minutes and lost. But I was mostly watching our ticker and the posts here; thanks.

RSLer repped this.
  2. shotblocker29

shotblocker29 Member

N/A
    Apr 28, 2009
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much this. However, Pablo can only get players to play with xDawg as Doyle would call it. His ability to adjust tactics to fit his players/situations has been non-existent since his time managing the C.Rapids. Nothing changes. No adjustments. No tactical shifts. Same players doing the same thing over and over and expecting results from it.

My opinion, but this isn't all on Pablo. With this team, I still say we will barely get into the playoffs. Sava was a great addition, but more is needed. But of course, Fall is expecting the players returning from injury to be the players to push us forward into and through the playoffs. Not likely as Wood wasn't exactly scorching the net and Kreilach probably won't be back and in game shape until playoffs (if even then).

goobx1, Med_Phys, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not just the inability to make crosses count, although that IS a big problem. We had several players taking long shots tonight, in an effort to draw defenders out of the bus and create some space in the box. It’s a sound tactic…unless those shooters can’t hit the broad side of a barn. FCD was sitting back saying, “Ok, Yeah. If you guys can bring forth someone whose foot gives us reason to be concerned, we might then come out to guard him. Until then, fire away.” We have 2 attackers who have the technical abilities to dribble in the box and not lose the ball every single time. Meram and Savarino. But even they can’t do that when there are 9 defenders in the box. So, after the FCD goal, given our roster, long shots had to become a primary tactic. It would have worked if the reasonable chances that resulted had been finished. Instead the shots went a mile over the crossbar, went straight to the GK, or were just outside the goal in Meram’s shot and Savarino’s header. I still say the absence of a truly dangerous finisher is the biggest weakness at this point in time.

Med_Phys and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had 25 shots tonight. 5 were on target. All 5 were straight to the GK.

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Dallas did defensively, besides cynically waste time at every opportunity, and pack in and own their box in the air, was to send defenders from the back side against Ruiz and Lorffsend to disrupt our passing through the middle. It was effective.

Fcd isn’t crap - eyeball wise they have talent and they held up.

Meram had a below average game. The giveaway was awful but we also had three guys that kind of jogged after Ferreria after he started that really deft give and go- Ruiz, Silva and Brody had that “you’ve got him right?” air. Glad closed as he should but was left out to dry.

Offensively - RSL - as two of you observed - kept crossing into Dallas’s aerial bulwark. Later in h2 we started taking longer shots. What i wanted to see was more dribble to the line and pass back to the 18. But the reality is FCD conceded the wings, packed it in and made things tough.

Either way, fireworks jinx was in play. It seemed like every crazy bounce in the box just didn’t go REAL’s way, and to make it worse we had a lot of uncharacteristically poor touches which kept slowing our attack.

We’ll be dangerous in the playoffs. Let’s keep improving.

UofRSL, 15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    “We’ll be dangerous in the playoffs. Let’s keep improving.”

If we make the playoffs

RSL needs to find at least 15 points at a minimum to be in the playoff race.

15 points in 12 games.

at SJ
    LAFC
    at Sea
    Van
    at FCD
    Minn
    at LAFC
    DC Rooney
    at ATC
    Cincinnati
    at LAG
    PTFC

Any predictions where they find those 15 plus points?

7. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back from an p posting isolation I will give my prediction for the final 12 games

at SJ Draw (?) No Ruiz, so we will have an Jasper, Caldwell or Besler D-Mid, I still think a draw is attainable.
    LAFC Loss we will be torched
    at Sea Loss this is the time of the year that the sounder train gets going
    Van Win Xdawg or whatever it is called after an loss.
    at FCD Draw Idk
    Minn Win because I hate wonderwall
    at LAFC Loss see above.
    DC Rooney Win
    at ATX Loss they are so hot right now
    Cincinnati Draw
    at LAG Win
    PTFC Loss because it seems they have the personal in the midfield (if healthy) to easily beat us.
    That gives us 15 points, but I am not confident in a couple of those wins.

goobx1 repped this.
  8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing is, the way we play up to teams I like our chances better against a team like LAFC vs a lower table team.

Also another Sabo quality we desperately need - someone that can hold up the ball. I think just about all of our forwards would look better if there was someone that could win crosses, and hold up the ball to lay off to the other forward.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the NYRB-Austin game today - 4-3 result for New York - and wow is Sebastian Driussi fun. And effective.

We're at a point where we desperately need a goal and still leave Rubio Rubin on the bench, while the guy with the worst G/xG ratio in the league stays out there for the full 90. We really do need help, even if it is Chris Garcia to get some real minutes.

rslfanboy repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you sub on a guy who can’t show up in the chart because he hasn’t scored…

evilradar and goobx1 repped this.
  11. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Lol I was just going to say you want to sub in Rubio?!?!! but you beat me to it.

12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I didn’t read it that way. I read it as evidence that Pablo subs in everyone else instead of Rubin when we need a goal, reiterating that he isn’t rated well by the staff.

Hence the comment that Garcia should get minutes if we’ve already given up on Rubin.

goobx1 repped this.
  13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    For me the game is just another reminder that this is not an MLS Cup winning side. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying a season that has been more exciting and fun than I was expecting. It's always more fun to watch a team work their way up the table rather than try and hold on as they work their way down and probably out of the the playoffs.

The big concern we had after watching SKC stink up the joint and let Sava and the midfield run all over and through them would be the next team watching some film and clogging up the midfield. Which is exactly what FCD did, especially after the goal. They put tons of pressure and double and triple teamed Ruiz, Sava, Jasper and anyone else that tried to create through the middle.

One thing that I could wrap my head around was spending, literally, 30+ minutes of the 2nd half trying to run the offense through Brody down the our left side. WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. F%$K?

I mean seriously!? WTF.

I guess they were trying to get the ball to Meram but why? Flip Meram and Chang and work down Herrera's side and maybe you have a chance with Aaron, Meram, and Sava to put actual pressure on FCD. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Perhaps giving Luna more than 5 minutes also might have helped in hindsight. He looked better in the time he had than in previous games.

I guess they could have gone 3 in the back but they basically only had 2 in the back for most/all of the second half anyway with the backs pressing forward.

Also, screw FCD for being a bunch of little bitches. The crap they pulled is the kind of stuff that makes people write crap about soccer. But when you haven't won a game in 7 games you do what ever it takes to get 3 points. Shame on RSL for playing into their antics. Punch them in the mouth and make them pay for being bitches instead of whining to the Ref. Maybe a bone crushing DMid ala Kyle Beckerman would have had an impact on keeping the midfield open and countering the crap they were pulling.

Also, a striker that can finish would be helpful as well. Rubio sure as hell ain't the answer there. He can stay on the bench for all I care. If he can't do it in practice then Pablo sure as heck ain't going to sub him in during the game.

RSL needs at least 15 points in 12 games to be in the playoff hunt this season. And that is for the last playoff spot.

2021 7th 48pts and RSL got in on goal differential
    2020 Covid
    2019 7th 48pts
    2018 6th 49pts 7th 48pts
    2017 6th 46pts 7th 46pts
    2016 6th 46pts 7th 44pts
    2015 6th 51pts 7th 47pts

As you can see 48 points is cutting it pretty close.

The last 4 playoff spots will be filled by 4 of at least 6 teams. RSL, FCD, NASH, LAG, PTFC, or SEA. Vancouver, Houston, and Colorado could make runs but they better start now and SJ and SKC are just SOL unless they have RSL on the schedule, amirite?

This last stretch of games could have solidified RSL's playoff status but they chose to make things difficult to the end.

Med_Phys repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Matt Doyle says:
    I'm not that surprised. But I am concerned. I still think DM is where we need it most, but a DP forward would be great too.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for translating. :)

goobx1 repped this.
  16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Hey! I guess, as we are talking Rubin in here, I don't think anyone posted this soapbox article which talked about Pablo being questioned why he wasn't getting time.
    In the comments,
    I think this guy is off on using this to say we should play Rubio more. But he did finish with:
    The obvious takeaway, is that our current forward corps just aren't getting it done.

RSLer repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple days removed but some thoughts:
    • Pablo rolled out the same setup as SKC. Like everything about it. Formation and tactics. The problem is that FCD, despite not winning a game for so long, is much better than SKC. That was obvious just seconds into the game. The same approach, then, didn't exactly make sense
    • It was bloody hot at this game. Especially in the first half. it looked like the players were feeling it, too. I mean, FCD finished warmups a lot earlier than RSL. I thought that was a smart move with how they wanted to start and play overall.
    • Ferreria showed a lot of reasons why he is on the national team in this game. His goal was the top of those highlights. The ability to get in behind off a press / turnover was impressive. A very cool, calm, and collected finish.
    • Getting scored on off your own throw-in, though, is some really sloppy stuff. Meram was loose all night on his touches - this was the one that got him burned the most. I would have expected a veteran move to commit a foul when he lost the ball given where he was on the field. Instead, we saw rather keystone cop level chasing/defending as dallas strung together a few passes and finished off a chance in a spot RSL never seemed to be able to get the ball to on the other end of the field.
    • RSL, to their credit, really took it to FCD for the next 15-20 mins. There were some really great passages of play in there. My personal favorite of the first half was the chance that ultimately ended with Savarino heading the ball into the ground and then over the bar. The ref gave a corner. I'm still not sure (from watching highlights) how that ball didn't go in and how it was decided to be a corner.
    • After that chance, the game kind of slid back a bit, and FCD re-found their footing. The booking to Ruiz was a long time coming with how poor possession was. That foul by Ruiz was what I expected from Meram earlier.
    • The header from Brody off the Herrera cross right before half was an omen of what the night was going to be. That passage of play was great. it got the ball where RSL wanted it. Brody did everything right. It was also a hell of a save from the keeper. he did his job.
    • I'm fairly certain the halftime speech for FCD was to pack the box whenever RSL got the ball to the middle/final third and should Savarino get the ball, double team him. They also were very aware that they just had 2 sub moments left (injury in first half) so the conversation was be hurt but not too hurt in time wasting. It worked
    • I will say, I don't think it was a Pablo flaw, perse. The chance creation suggests it wasn't, certainly. The accuracy and ultimately conversion rate was awful. That rides on the players.
    • That said, I think Pablo was far too slow to make adjustments. Julio should have been on around 60, at the latest. I don't know what the purpose of keeping the back 4 in tack was. Yanking Brody for an attacking player would have made more sense to me. I also thought we would have seen Silva become a pseudo forward in the last 10 mins. It was strange to see so little change in shape with how the game was progressing.
    • Still, the game ended with Cordova hitting a shot over the bar. Savarino shanking shots. Ruiz hitting his right at the keeper. etc. The team just wasn't on.
    • I don't have faith in the team finding a win in SJ. I think a draw is doable, but who knows. SJ isn't on fire in form, neither is RSL. A draw does neither team a lot of good so that's probably what'll happen

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  18. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they *did*. If you re-watch the last 20 minutes or so you'll see what looks very much like a 3 man Herrera - Glad - Silva backline. Maybe you sub Brody there.

Herrera stands out to me for just crushing service. He had 3 or more A crosses and rockets into the box. Damn shame result.

goobx1 repped this.
  19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I agree. What was the point of 3 in the back when really you only had Glad and Silva back there because FCD was parking the bus and Herrera and Brody were both up in the attack.

I do agree that subbing Brody might have been a good choice. Bring on Luna for Brody and you have an actual attacking option with Meram and Herrera, Glad, and Silva, are more than capable of keeping things together in the back.

What's done is done. Let's see how they adjust for SJ.

15 to 32 repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think the question to ask here is why Brody was picked from the back 4 to be pushed forward. Why wasn't it one of the two CB's that have shown an ability to win balls in the air given how much service RSL was getting?

As goob said, it's something to see going forward.

rslfanboy and Ismitje repped this.
  21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Agreed. Silva should have been up there.