2022 Game Day 19: CRapids at RSL Sat. July 9 8:00pm Some cup thingy game?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Jul 6, 2022.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a couple things in response:
    • Highlighting singular instances to make a general statement isn't fair. I think the ref in Minnesota got that Holt call very wrong. Twice, in fact. I don't think the game itself was one that lacked a level of player's safety.
    • When I brought this up in the ref forum I was informed of the assignment process and scoring for each MLS game for PRO referees. That ref was on a game this last weekend, largely due to scheduling of assignments being done weeks in advance (you can thank the size of this country/league for that). However, there is certainly a repercussion coming given how refs are scored by assessors and that dictates further scheduling/assignments.
    • Similar for the cRapids game. The tackle on Loeffelsend (which I still can't find to have an opinion on) was a singular moment. The frustration I saw from fans was more on the foul selection - not on the environment being unsafe. Folks complained that "we would get bumped and nothing called" isn't an argument for an unsafe environment. It's a consistency thing.
    • The shout of "someone is going to get hurt" towards a referee is a nails on chalkboard type saying to me. Referees are certainly responsible to set parameters of the game, but they are not the players themselves or the coaching staff directing the players. Player safety is not just the responsibility of the officials.
    • It's also worth pointing out that the referee crew got multiple calls right in that cRapids game that were very tight. Meram was very nearly off on the second RSL goal. The AR got it right to call him on. The first cRapids goal was a penalty foul. The ref got it right. The equalizer was onside. The AR got it right. That's 3 goals with tight moments and the referee crew got all 3 right.

UofRSL, rslfanboy, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I haven't caught up on all of the "controversy" from the weekend but it looks like PRO maybe didn't have that great of a weekend.

I for one, have grown weary of the abuse that Refs take at the game and anywhere else.

I agree with 15 that on 3 of the goals they got them right. Also, 99 times out of 100 they get calls right. I am amazed at how well and how often the AR's get the offside calls correct.

On the replay at the game, need to watch again before making a final uncalled for opinion, I thought the Loffelsend tackle could be a red. Especially if it's on a player that isn't a rookie. Also, if that is even close to a red then it's the VAR that we should be critical of and not the CR.

Everyone, and I mean everyone myself included, remembers the "missed" calls but no one can seem to recall the correct calls. For example, in the middle to late of the first half when Colorado had a slew of corners, the last one went off a Colorado players head, obviously, but the CR missed the call and called for the corner which would have been right in front of us. Immediately the astute and well trained fans in the stand started the always effective Ref You Suck chant which hilariously ended because the AR on the east side immediately got in the CR's ear and he changed his call to the correct call. I could tell because while the RSL fans and players were politely sharing their amazement at the his call he had his hand to his ear to hear the AR help him get it right. The chant fizzled when Zach started the put the ball in play and the fans figured out, all on their own mind you, that the call had been corrected.

They immediately broke into the "Ref we were wrong" chant which for some reason is rarely used. And by rarely I mean never.

I will grant that the CR did not have a stellar night but I am more pissed that RSL brought a knife to a gun fight. This game is on RSL.

What was with some of the subs? How small was Pablo trying to make the team? And if you want to talk about a player that is less valuable than Ochoa lets talk about Rubio Rubin. The guy is so bad he is probably single handedly keeping Cordova off the bench and in the starting lineup.

RSL gave away 2 points.

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we stop giving up points due to stupid penalties? We went from finally having more solid defending, to going back to making stupid decisions and costing us points.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the penalties took us from a win and three ties to no wins and two ties.

SpiffCoug repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the other side of the “mentality” coin that Pablo pushes. He can get the guys hyped up and wanting to play, but that comes with the risk of careless tackles in bad areas

in all 3 of the recent penalties the attacker has been wide of the goal. That’s what’s really upsetting. Just defend.

goobx1 repped this.
  6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'd contend that this has been happening since before Pablo (Herrara, Silva), and is a troublesome regression.

goobx1 repped this.
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I have been wondering if this is a reflection on the fact that RSL is now the hunted and not the hunter. Early in the season they could play with a positive forward pressing style of play with really no pressure on them as a team. As the season has moved on they find themselves at or near the top of the table in the west and the tables have turned. They are now the team with an x on their back as teams down the table take aim at them instead of the other way round.

It definitely IS a mentality thing and RSL has not adapted well to the pressure, real or perceived, to being so high in the table and in everyone else sights.

With the pressure from other teams we are starting to see players make some not so smart plays that earlier in the season they didn't feel pressured to make. Two weeks in a row Herrera and Silva both make the similar mistake of trying to do too much when they should have been smart and not gone in for a questionable tackle IN THE BOX. Both ended up being game changing plays that really cost RSL 4 points. Or more.

The other thing to remember is that this is not an MLS Cup winning roster. As much as they are relatively good players there is room for improvement nearly across the board.

RSL could find better, non DP type, players for Chang, Brody, Rubin, Besler, Kappelhoff, Holt, Caldwell, Schmitt, Loffelsend, Meram, and others that have played valuable minutes this season. Meram being the biggest surprise but he is getting a bit long in the tooth and I guarantee he wasn't pegged as a starter this season.

Not saying that they are not good or could become better players but there are a lot of holes in this roster.

It's still a long season but I really expect RSL to struggle for awhile longer before they pull it together. Hopefully.

Let's keep some perspective.

I mean it's all the Refs fault?

Med_Phys repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Matt Doyle repeatedly says, this team is really hard to comprehend. To be 20 games into the season and not really understand the team/identity is weird. Sitting at 3rd in the West certainly isn't a bad thing, but the recent run of form - coupled with the before mentioned lack of identity - makes it feel like this team is on a knifes edge of spiraling down the table.

In fact, the recent run of form has eliminated all of the wiggle room RSL had. Instead of sitting 5+ points up from the next team in the table, RSL are just 4 points from 8th place and out of the playoffs. The West is insanely tight from spots 3-10. Houston, with newcomer Herrera, is in 11th. They'll make a run.

3 of the next 4 games are against non-playoff (currently) position teams. RSL has to figure their shit out if they want to stay in a playoff spot by month's end. Especially because August features LAFC (home), Seattle (away), and Dallas (away). Three very hard games. Mixed into that are two home games with Vancouver and Minnesota (both teams we've lost to in recent weeks).

goobx1 repped this.