2022 Game Day 19: CRapids at RSL Sat. July 9 8:00pm Some cup thingy game?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Jul 6, 2022.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I expect an aggressive response from RSL after two very lackluster performances.

Maybe some changes in the lineup with one thing for sure, Jasper should be starting. Will the 3-5-2 show up for RSL?

I would think something like this

MacMath
    Herrera Glad?(Kapp) Silva Brody
    Sava Ruiz Loffelsend Meram? (but probably Chang as reward for a pass to a defender that deflected to Sava)
    Cordova (I know I said he needs a break but Rubio sucks) Menendez? (Why not?)

Probably off by 5 or 6 players but what the heck.

RSL

15 to 32 repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea what to expect from the starting lineup... and yet I'm just about certain it'll be this:

Rubin Cordova
    Meram Loffelsend Ruiz Sava
    Brody Glad* Silva Herrera
    MacMath

*Holt or Kapplehoff if Glad is still being held out

I wish it was different, but Pablo has stuck to his guns through good and bad times so far this year. I want something different, but I seriously doubt he's willing to make a shift.

I also expect a draw in this game. Mutli goal draw, but draw nonetheless. Nothing about our current form says we should expect more. cRapids form is god awful, but so was Columbus and Minnesota, and yet.

This game is the first in a run of 3 games in 9 days. Head to Atlanta midweek before coming back home to play SKC on 17th.

As for the cup thingy: a win or draw sees it stay with RSL given the first game was a 1-1 draw. Unless the cRapids found another MiB style loophole to try and get it this year... @JasonMa

goobx1 repped this.
  3. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to hear why the ref checked that and decided it wasn't a red. Also, what was Holt doing anyway?

4. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, even Dunny and James were kind of confused as to why it wasn't a straight red.

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm pretty sure Holt was trying to clean his clock, ring his bell, and any other metaphor you can think of to describe Holt lining his elbow up on the back of the other players head.

6. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if you heard what Pablo said on the radio.

I don't think they'll appeal it, but publicly they're saying it was basically coincidental, nothing malicious. That's, um, interesting.

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I haven't but, perhaps?

I'm just going off what I saw and that elbow was cocked with intent. Glad it didn't really connect. For both players.

8. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS refs…

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually one to defend a ref, but I don't know how that wasn't a red either

More alarming to me is that the ref is on another game this weekend as a center. No suspension. Not moved to the 4th or VAR. Back in the center for Chicago v Columbus.

Did PRO put out any kind of statement? I don't see one

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The assignments are given to the refs few weeks in advance. This is to allow for travel arrangements and such. So it takes a pretty significant issue for assignments to change immediately. (Also, remember that VAR is all in ATL now, not in the stadium). Maybe they could have switched the 4th official but looking at the assigned 4th it appears she's never done a MLS center and may not be ready for that yet. Look to see if the ref is still getting center assignments at the end of the month or so to see if there's any change.

And of course, just like any other job, you're not going to be harshly penalized for one mistake. We don't expect out lead striker to be bench for missing an open goal once. If there's a pattern of that behavior then that's different.

rslfanboy, acima, DrownedElf and 2 others repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair
    I just struggle with this not only being missed in the run of lay (all of 10 feet ahead of him, but he does give himself a bad angle) but also on VAR. It appears he signaled to play on, which I can see why, but that certainly had to come back for at minimum a caution.

Remind me - can a ref give a caution in that scenario? VAR pulled them over for VC

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAR can only send something down if they think its a clear and obvious missed red card. But the CR can evaluate it and decide its not a red but a yellow and give a yellow. I haven't seen this incident yet but based on description I don't know how you find that middle ground though. If the CR thinks its a foul there's really no middle ground to say "its yellow, but not red".

15 to 32 repped this.
  14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    My only thought on why he might have not called it a red is that it didn't look like, at least to the ref, that Holt didn't really connect to the head of the player and he then made a meal out of what ever contact there was. My guess is that if the player had stayed down and not jumped right back up to get in the play then maybe it goes a bit different with VAR.

Just a thought.

I thought it was a red from the start, myself.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is zero justifiable action/motion for what Holt did. Further, the lack of making contact doesn't reduce a violent conduct red card.

From IFAB:
    Violent conduct
    Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

I think that Holt's play could be used by IFAB to show violent conduct, especially the second paragraph, to a t. That the ref missed it twice is baffling to me

goobx1 repped this.
  16. ReAL Boy

ReAL Boy New Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I rarely post, but wanted to throw this out in defense of the ref. One justifiable action/motion from Holt (not for the play as it stood, but for why he'd move as he did) was that by moving his very-unnaturally-positioned arm and twisting his body, he barely avoided handling the ball (and yellow). I think the camera angle during the game showed it better, but I think that and the look on Holt's face if you freeze the frame at the 0:13 second mark might be why the ref didn't go to his back pocket.

Would have been fine with a red during the game, but retro is deserved.

rslfanboy, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as potential starting XIs, Aaron Trusty just left Colorado for Arsenal (a couple of weeks early - a bit of a bummer for us as he had been distracted at best in his play the last few weeks), and the Rapids also traded Mark Anthony-Kaye to Toronto today.

18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know they went back and gave him a suspension. I'm also shocked it wasn't a red when VAR had the ref look.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anthony-Kaye always gave rsl fits so that’s huge

No holt means no back 3 for certain…. Not that it was a very likely thing otherwise

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking forward to seeing Diego Luna for RSL at some point tonight.

rslfanboy repped this.
  21. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will he get more than token minutes at the end of the match?
    Does RSL have to change formation/tactics to get him on the field?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark-Anthony, or Kaye. Not Anthony-Kaye. ;)

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is why he kicked the shit out of us so much

JasonMa repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to think he’ll get anything significant given the minutes he put in with the u20s and the limited time with the team

I’m hoping for 15 but expect 5