2022 Game Day 18: RSL at Minnesota Sun. July 3 6:00pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Jun 28, 2022.

1. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Also how often are 10s given out on WhoScored? Reynoso received a 9.9!

rslfanboy repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think it’s a stone cold pk and Herrera clipped him on the foot. The real weak sauce was Aaron’s decision to go to ground and put the team in the position of going down another goal just before half.

Situational awareness at its worst, again for Aaron.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple thoughts on this:
    • Reynoso does take a heavy touch - but the foul from Herrera happens right as the touch is taken.
    • Herrera goes through with both of his feet into Reynoso's right foot. Reynoso has no reason to try and fight through this tackle - it's late and it's heavy.
    • All penalties are reviewed by VAR. There is nothing here to bring the center over for review.

RSLer, rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.
  4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Probably everything that needs to be said about this game has been said but that has never stopped me before from making comments.

One thing about this team that is different than some previous season teams is they have some grit and fight most of the time. I'm sure that comes from Pablo and the way he is able to connect with the players and get their buy in for his style of play, etc.

I did have the fleeting thought that if this was last season and RSL was down 3-0 with 30 minutes to go I would have been checking out to go and do something else rather than watch them close up shop and mail in the rest of the game. I was only a thought though. This team doesn't quit so I stuck it out. I also had the thought that if I did turn it off down 3-0 and I found out they had come back to tie or something I would have been rather disappointed with myself for bailing on the boys.

Last week really felt like the tie was more on the coach rather than the players while this week is SQUARELY

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Sorry about the double post. I took to long in the edit. my bad

Probably everything that needs to be said about this game has been said but that has never stopped me before from making comments.

One thing about this team that is different than some previous season teams is they have some grit and fight most of the time. I'm sure that comes from Pablo and the way he is able to connect with the players and get their buy in for his style of play, etc.

I did have the fleeting thought that if this was last season and RSL was down 3-0 with 30 minutes to go I would have been checking out to go and do something else rather than watch them close up shop and mail in the rest of the game. I was only a thought though. This team doesn't quit so I stuck it out. I also had the thought that if I did turn it off down 3-0 and I found out they had come back to tie or something I would have been rather disappointed with myself for bailing on the boys.

Last week really felt like the tie was more on the coach rather than the players while this week is SQUARELY on the players. They didn't bother to really show up until the second half. I found that disconcerting to say the least.

Dunny expressed his thoughts about the same time I was asking my wire why are all of the RSL players just standing around? They were so static in the first half. No runs at all. How many times did you see Sava or really anyone with the ball surrounded by 2 or 3 Loons and the nearest RSL teammate was somewhere buying popcorn in the stands? Not good.

The second half was better but not enough better to fill the void from the first.

Jasper looks to be for real. He almost singlehandedly changed the game for RSL in the second half with his, what's the word, oh yea, HUSTLE. Something that was sorely lacking for most, not all mind you, of the RSL players in the game.

I like Cordova. I like him a lot. I have no problem giving the guy ALL season to figure stuff out but I think he needs to sit a game. I wouldn't start him against the CRapids. I would give him a bit of a break, let him relax, get a feel, rejuvenate a bit, and then sub him in around the 60th minute and tell him to go get a goal. Take some pressure off him for a minute.

Glad was sorely missed even though Kappelhoff is not that bad it's just tough when players haven't played much together to match the quality of a tandem like Glad and Silva. Kappelhoff has some great vision and some decent long passes out of the back that RSL is sorely lacking. Well, most MLS teams are sorely lacking in that area but still.

Kudos to Pablo for making early subs even though he didn't have much to lose by the 66' when he went to 3 in the back. Julio just has an eye for finishing. Even with no space in the box on a corner he gets the glancing header off the post for a lovely and needed goal. Same for Sava. Get him some decent service or LUCKY service and more often then not it's a shot on frame or a goal.

I get some of the Chang love but he's not a starter. That cross he sent in for the Sava goal only made it Sava on accident. He hit it right at the defender. The pass from Cordova on the other hand was simply divine. It was a highlight no matter how the play ended.

Holt was dropping some dimes. I mean damn. He is the best passer back there but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't available Saturday. That elbow was a red. The Ref was terrible and I think he tries to be "fair" so to speak. Like the first yellow Herrera. Soft and maybe even not even a foul if you watch the replay. I think he realized that and when Aaron made the horrible decision to slid in the box in stoppage time he didn't get what should have been his second yellow. If he doesn't have that soft yellow already I bet he definitely would have been given a yellow on the pk.

For the most part, minus the obvious yellow that was missed on Lod wiping out Cordova, the Ref didn't really have an impact, positive or negative, on the game.

That first goal for Minnesota was some horrible and lazy defending. Comical defending for sure. 2nd goal frustrating. 3rd goal unacceptable. Kapplehoff got spun around like a girl at Jr. Prom and didn't do enough to make the goal challenging.

MacMath guessed early on the 3rd goal, which was probably the ONLY complaint I would have for him. That's a tough spot for any keeper but one where you have to stay big for as long as possible and make the player think to much about their shot. Rimando was amazing at that if memory serves.

So as I said I think that this game was ALL on the players. They had no excuse for losing to this team. A team that had 1 win in 6 and 3 losses in a row with two players in the midfield that had never played together and one that had never played the position. Not good. 2 of the 3 goals for Minnesota were all on horrible defending which is unusual for RSL this season for sure.

But I liked the fight.