2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers - AFC

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Mar 10, 2019.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In addition our borders are still closed. Recent major sports events like cricket tours and Tennis tournaments were only completed because international competitors completed two weeks in quarantine. In the case of the Indian Cricketers who toured they also had to undergo some further restrictions at times because of outbreaks in NSW and Queensland. The tennis players underwent a 5 day lockdown in Melbourne mid tournament where they were still allowed to train and play but couldn't do anything on the social side outside of that.

Australian based players who travel to Nepal will likely have to quarantine on return.

With 3 home games left in June if restrictions ease a bit we may be able to host some matches but it would probably only be if the players were placed in a bubble with no contact with the general public. More likely the last games in our group will be played in another location.

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    AFC have already (I haven't searched the link for you) made clear that if Qatar win the group the second placed team will be considered a second place team and the best 5 will qualify for the next round. If Qatar come second then the best 4 of the other second placed teams go through. Qatar need to complete all their matches as these games also qualify as Asian Cup qualifiers and if Qatar make the top 12 (even though they wont go to next round WCQ) they will qualify for the Asian Cup 2023.

4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I can understand Australia pulling out of the copa america since they haven't qualified for the next round yet. But why is Qatar pulling out as well? Their only interest in these qualifiers is the Asia cup and they have already qualified...

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Possibly AFC would like Qatar to prioritise their own confederation's Championship ahead of another one and may have told them a withdrawal from the final matches of their group was a withdrawal from the Asian Cup as a whole. I'm only speculating here. I have no inside source of knowledge.

6. pipinogol

pipinogol Member

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Just play B team?...

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My own view is that you shouldn't be sending B teams to either World Cup Qualifiers or a Continental Championship, particularly one with the history of the Copa America.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia's game with Nepal has been postponed meaning all remaining group B games will be played in the June FIFA window at a central venue to be determined.