2022 Fifa World Cup Qatar Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Strange. I think Bento could absolutely lead South Korea to their first Asian Cup glory since ages if handed another opportunity. My doubts arise when he faces better teams. But he did pretty well within Asia. Qatar happened to be just the best team at the 2019 Asian Cup. He lost to the deserving champs.

If I were the KFA I would hand Bento an extension until the Asian Cup if he wins at least Ghana, puts up a fight against Uruguay and doesn't get blown out by Portugal.

Bookmakers have South Korea listed as slight favourites for the clash against Ghana which I agree with considering in what a state Ghana are.

2. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    odd indeed

ive read a couple
    publications that have ROK ranked 2nd to last amongst all countries

certainly doesnt feel like he has their hearts and minds

3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I put Korea in 28th being also extra harsh to them. I did put Ghana a tad higher in 24th but that was considering Ghana's squad strenght on paper. In hindsight I would put them lower given most of the squad is pretty inexperienced.

4. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    we also have kim mj and hwang h c all over 10m euros worth.

5. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    KMJ's value will be increased drastically.

6. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    #56 LeeSeungWoo, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    Doesnt matter. Without Son, we are not worth more. Kamada and Tomiyasu are worth more than 20m euros.

7. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Kim MJ is currently worth more than either according to transfermarkt.

Our top 4 guys beat their top 4 by good margins.
    The margin will grow larger when their true values are known.
    Only Lee Kang In, our No4 is worth the same as Kubo, their No 4 but I think Lee's intrinsic true value is much higher than Kubo's and it will eventually show up.

Japanese players have good fundamentals, they know the right thing to do in a given situation but they lack natural talent. They always do better than their natural talents allow but that does not last very long usually.

Players like Nakata and Kubo have natural talents but they don't really measure up to Korea's great players past and present.

Even though Iranians will vehemently disagree, the same applies to Iranians. Compared with Japanese Iranians are endowed with more natural talents but less fundamentals and mental discipline. But in the end even their "great" players don't measure up to Korea's. They never have despite their illusions.

8. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Drink 국뽕 all you want. We are not worth more than JNT without Son.

This is the estimated worth last year with Son included. We still didnt beat them.

[​IMG]

I am probably the last person who wants JNT to do better than KNT. But let's not distort facts here just because of 국뽕.

nmssis repped this.
  9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Playing in Qatar will be somewhat of an advantage for South Korea over the opponents in their group.

South Korea, Japan and Australia played in the Middle East at the 2019 Asian Cup. They played numerous road games there in World Cup qualfying. They are pretty faimilair with the environment and the surroundings in these countries.

We have basically no data available how does it affect Asian teams to play a World Cup on Asian soil.

The closest we can get to get a grasp on this is by exploring the U20 World Cup.

Advancement rate on Asian soil: 53.7%
    Advancement rate outside of Asia: 40.6%

I took all the data from the U20 World Cups from 1995 going forward. We had five editions on Asian soil (I counted also Turkey in 2013) and eight editions outside of Asia.

So, there seems still to be a significant boost for Asian teams when they play a major tournament in Asia regardless of which part in Asia they play in.

10. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    아오~~ 알지도 못하는 게 같잖아.
    You have no source and Korea have been consistently higher since the last Asian Cup or even before that. During the Asian Cup 2019 it was tabulated by a legitimate news agency. I doubt your source but even if it is true it only reflects a brief period when Korea were at the nadir.

You are a variation of Social Justice Warrior. You think you are independently minded, truth seeking, a pure soul but you just look corny and phony. Among your peers are the likes of Lee Young Hoon(이영훈). He too claims that he is against rabid nationalism but in fact he favors another kind of radical nationalism, that of Imperial Japan.

And I did not claim anything about whether Korea are worth more than Japan without Son. All I said was what I said. If you think I was wrong there, point them out instead of sobbing about my nationalism.

As I remember, in the last Asian Cup Korea were worth more than Japan up to the best 11 without Son and Nakajima. But the entire Japanese squad without Nakajima surpassed the Korean squad without Son(I am not sure). Now things have changed as more and more Japanese players gained European experiences through the Belgian outlet but their market values don't reflect their true talents.

Now instead of No 2 + ...+ No 12, it only goes up to No 2 + .. No 6 according to Transfermarkt. Yes the sum of Korea's No 2 to No 6 is higher that that of Japan's No 2 to No 6. What I was trying to illustrate was that it is not just Son as an outlier that "distorts" the picture but there is a general tendency for Koreans to produce outstanding talents. If you look at World Go rating, Koreans are usually at the top. The top 2 out of 3 are Korean and except for the brief period when Ke je ruled it has been that way ever since international Go was practiced. Beyond that China's demographic numerical advantage takes over.

Transfermarkt is German and consequently heavily biased in favor of Japanese and their market values at least partially include off-ground considerations like prospect of monetary gains through sponsorship, uniform selling for which Japan are favored. They try to minimize this aspect but it is there. Also domestic leagues' salary levels also affect the chart. That is why Iranian players are valued very low, especially domestic ones.

So if one wants to measure the level of talents a country produces, the population ratio should be factored in in addition to the above caveats. When that is done ,despite the above advantages Japan enjoys at transfermarkt, Japan never has nor never will surpass Korea in soccer talents(or any other field except for baseball, even there not that convincingly).

11. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    #61 LeeSeungWoo, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    병신인가 왜 갑자기 반말. Writing a long essay doesnt make you smart. The data I posted was tabulated by a "legitimate news agency" as well. And it is from last year. Just stfu if you don't wanna have a discussion without swearing.

Lmao. Someone must have been living in a cave. We haven't beaten them for ages in every single tournament in all age groups. If you cant tell we are far behind them now, you must be brainless. Having one superstar doesn't make us "surpass" them.

Not worth my time to talk with someone with an extreme Japanophobia.

12. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  13. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
  14. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    But not knowing 병신 is a swearing word makes you a good candidate for eugenic sterilization. Your poor writing skills indicate that Korean is your native language.
    No excuse can be made.

Does Dark Knight still own this forum? I thought Tex had taken over. Whatever... both hate Koreans and I have learned not to ask for equitability when the opponent is pro-Japanese or at least anti-Korean.

Once again I was not talking about Korea without Son. It is silly even to talk about it. What purpose does it serve? But I did my best to make some sense out of it.

Is Son just an outlier or is there a more general underlying tendency that is illuminating?
    Not only Son but Kim MJ and Hwang HC are worth more than Japanese players of the same spot(No2 and No3). Lee Kang In and Kubo are both worth 9 million Euro.

I am not sure of Hwang HC but Kim MJ and Lee Kang In's future looks very good , far more than their Japanese counterparts. Almost all European agencies agree with it.

I have grown tired of dealing with 중2병 boys. They burden themselves with enormous tasks of self-important holy mission to "educate" jingoistic Koreans and eradicate their nationalism. It is quite funny. It is like seeing a Chimpanzee try to understand general relativity.

Wow these are very damning words... because your time is worth 0.

15. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    TLDR.

Why the fk wouldn't I swear at someone who swore at me first?

Again, not worth my time to talk to someone like you who ignore facts.

16. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    You pretend you don't know Korean but fool no one.
    같잖아 is an unkind word but it is far from swearing.
    In such an unkind word, in English this time, I tell you to shove all your self-righteous BS far up your ass and when you are hungry, eat it, piece by piece.

Your kind is called 국까 and you have been thoroughly analyzed and debunked countless times by the Korean public. You are no nobler than the crassest Jingoistic racists, actually are far cornier and more annoying. Many often go through that rebellious stage around the 7th or 8th grade, often called 중2병 but some mentally handicapped never get out of it. Your "indignation" is cliché and is a claptrap designed to draw loud applauses and invite deep nods from your pretentious and phony peers.

Among those phony peers is nmssis who is still hurt because I called him out on his behavior at Persianfootball dot com. He acts like a bad ass here but there he is a very docile sheep, agreeing with all the anti-Korean racist tropes Iranians spew out. I was banned a few times there but then again even Tex was banned from that site. nmssis just sucks up to Iranians for the little privilege of being able to post there and making friends with Iranians.

17. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    "같잖아" is a far more reserved expression compared with "국뽕".
    "같잖아" is roughly on par with "You are phony" where as "국뽕".means that one's brain is messed up as if having taken philopon - Methamphetamine commonly known as meth. The drug is associated with Japanese imperialism and is a very harsh word in the Korean language. In the Korean online culture "국뽕" will lead to a full blown flame war.

I was uncharacteristically reserved in my response because I know Bigsoccer staff and how they are unfair to some.

18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Given the WC is next month, AND Qatar is off to a wonderful start by performing forced vaginal inspections on an Aussie tourist SMH. Fucking Fifa and Qatar.

19. CaliforniaSoccerDad

Mar 29, 2022
    California
    3rd place finish for Korea seems like the likely outcome.
    I think there will be some surprises though like there always are.
    I think there's a chance Korea loses all 3 games and finish last in the group.
    And some chance it'll eke by with 1-1-1.
    I'm hoping for the latter but fully expecting them to miss the round of 16.

20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Yeah I could see both. 0-0-3 is a possibilty but so is 1-1-1. Difficult to say which one is more likely. Probably the latter.

4 points are definately Korea's ceiling in this group.

Also historically Korea has never achieved more than 4 points when they weren't hosts.

21. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just watched lki clip and I think kang in would be useful for us in the wc for distributing passes.

22. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    There are a plenty of upsets, of varying degrees, in every World Cup. Look what we did to Germany four years ago. Spain, Italy, England and Portugal all crashed out at the group stage in 2014; and before that France and Italy didn't survive their groups. (Italy has failed to make the last two WCs. North Macedonia!)

In my mind, us losing all three matches is probably the least likely scenario. That has happened only once in our 10 appearances going back to 1954. With little luck, we'll advance.

23. CaliforniaSoccerDad

Mar 29, 2022
    California
    I think Kim Min Jae could turn losses into ties and ties into 1-0 or 2-1 wins, with some luck on offense. He's playing as well as any defender in the world at the moment. In this scenario, I could see 5 points - 1-2-0. Haha I'm hoping anyway.

24. CaliforniaSoccerDad

Mar 29, 2022
    California
    Haha you wouldn't be the only one thinking this. The entire Korean soccer community (commentators, YouTubers, fans) lost their minds at Kang In not playing a minute in the last pair of friendly games with the national team.

Bento Box will not play him in the WC. He's so damn stubborn. I hope I'm wrong and he gets desperate and throws him in there but I doubt it.

25. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    wtf

Seol Korea repped this.