2022 FIFA World Cup Matchday 3: Germany vs Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by poorvi, Nov 28, 2022.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think this is good analysis from Kroos.

Pundit morality plays about mentality etc are much too generic and entry level for high performance. Guys who have been successful for big clubs clearly don't have basic mentality issues.

As he says, a concept like resilience isn't just something the player 'decides to have' - it comes from the stability of the entire framework.

poorvi, MatthausSammer and hava repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Why does everyone go on about Fullkrug all the time?

He was very successful in his impact role. Was this a mistake from Flick to use him that way? Maybe.

But hardly the reason why Germany is out.

Dage and saj7866 repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reason being the Tons of chances we created and MISSED could be the key. Had a natural goal scorer been on the receiving end who knows we could be preparing for the knockouts.

BVBFNM repped this.
  4. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree. Prime Example Giroud 4 years ago. Didn't score all tournament but definitely played his part.

hava and BorisG repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #680 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022

giroud was a borderline elite striker though

germany does not have a striker at giroud 18 level - Ozil used to tee him up for fun at Arsenal until he got to slow and old for club football

But for internationals - even now he is still decent

saj7866 repped this.
  6. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    No one said not playing Fullkrug is the main reason we're out. Lots of complain with the false 9 itself, not with the Fullkrug not in starting XI per se. Moreover Fullkrug could score twice or a hattrick but it doesn't matter if the opponent could outscore us. I prefer we won every game 1-0 courtesy of penalty to win the whole thing as opposed to leaking goal left and right.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am not that convinced that false 9 vs Fullkrug is the main problem. The way Fullkrug was used worked out OK. We will never know how the Japan game would have gone had he started, but we do know Germany fell apart when Flick took Gundogan off to appease Goretzka (this now appears to be confirmed from reporting).

The failure to close out the game 1-0 is pretty alarming as we know Japan are a very decent side.

Indeed if they'd just held on to draw, everything would have been fine.

hava and saj7866 repped this.
  8. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Then why did Flick disregard the midfield so badly in selection. He talks about lack of balance, but end of the day Flick made some bad mistakes on which hopefully he learns from.

9. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But Fullkrug is a quality 9. We created more chances than any other team in the tournament and yet our out and out goal scorer is sat on the bench for majority of the game.

Alex C repped this.
  10. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I hope the story about pleasing Goretzka isn't true. I have nothing against him, he's a starter for me in most situations and I think he is needed for the future but a coach should base his decisions purely on what's best to get the result when he makes subs.

"The team is the star"
    Maybe back to the roots?
    Klinsmann: "I think the European Championship in 1996 in England was a great experience for us as there was a great camaraderie in the team and we knew that through this team spirit we could compete with the other teams. We fought all through the tournament and played really good football, even if we were not the best team. Italy were a bit better, England had a great team, but we had the best will."

BVBFNM and saj7866 repped this.
  11. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If that's true about Groetzka then im really concerned with Hansis ability to make tough decisions.

hava and BVBFNM repped this.
  12. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do not believe the Goretzka story…in the contrary, Flick should have started with Kimmich-Goretzka combo in all matches and we would have been into knockout rounds…
    Gundogan has done nothing for the NT and I hope he has played his last match

Alex C repped this.
  13. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Füllkrug makes a huge difference, his presence creates space for others. What we need is a focal point to attacks, neither Havertz or Muller provide that.

From now on we should always start with a proper CF, whether that be Füllkrug, Moukoko, Berisha, Nmecha or whoever. Bin false 9 for good. Werner I would quite like to see playing with Füllkrug but not as a lone CF.

poorvi, Ger90, BorisG and 2 others repped this.
  14. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm team Sule for CF!!!
    he's fast, big, physical has technique etc.:p

joking aside it makes a difference make, false 9 doesn't open up anything and they don't know how to move. Huge difference how a CF and false 9 moves around.

entire AM/W functions better playing off a CF then not. There is too much evidence for it.

Havertz goes from being useless at False 9 to him excelling when playing off any CF. Its same for Gnabry, Sane, Musiala too used to playing with CF.

if you want to maximize A than you need a CF.
    More False 9 gonna be neverending loop too easy to handle for most teams. We'll continue creating a million chances just to score once.

Alex C and BVBFNM repped this.
  16. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #691 Alex C, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    I remember when we had a group of CF’s that weren’t elite as such, but knew how to play the position and were always available to the NT as they were regularly involved in the set up. That’s what we need now. Call up the likes of Berisha, Nmecha, Dietz, Tigges etc and then decide which 2 or 3 along with Füllkrug and Moukoko are gonna be our regular group of CF’s. That way we always have options that aren’t false 9 that know the NT set up and can be used if needed. That position can then be totally to shut off to anyone other than natural CF’s. If that means leaving 1 or 2 higher profile AM/W’s out of the squad altogether so be it.

Ger90 and BVBFNM repped this.
  17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Please move this discussion to the respective threads. I will move this post to the EC 24 thread.

Aderthan repped this.