2022 FIFA World Cup: Friendly matches

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Philip J. Fry, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Skippy 69

Skippy 69 Member

Apr 5, 2022
    Mate i agree with you. I believe they can progress from the group.

Qatar's biggest problem is not playing competitive internationals for the past few years. At the Asian Cup in 2019 (their last real matches) they played 4 of the 5 other Asian representatives at this World Cup..... and beat all four of them. They also beat the host(UAE) and ended up winning the trophy. At the Asian Cup Qatar were not favorites or even in the mix of contenders. Pre tournament they were probably 7th favourite to win the Cup.

Contrary to some teams who are having bad preperations ie Canada and Iran, I think Qatar will have an excellent preperation and will give a very good account of themselves when it matters later this year. Think back to the last World Cup when nobody gave Russia a chance to win a match let alone make it to the knock out phase.

Good luck to them i hope they do their country proud. The biggest danger Ecuador and Senegal have is taking Qatar for granted.

2. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Strange thing with Qatar. They won the AFC Asian cup, they played pretty well at the last Gold cup, and they played friendlies in the Portugal/Serbia WC qualifying group, and played decent the first round against each team showing some decent play. Then out of seemingly nowhere, when the second round started against the UEFA teams, they completely fell apart and have looked like minnows ever since. Maybe someone may know what happened?

Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First sentence could happen... second is impossible. Do you know Brazil and Argentina? You could have their u-10s play each other and there'd still be an even bet on the game ending in a scuffle :D

Same question as @Nani_17 : did Qatar really peak 3 years ago? :ROFLMAO:

4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Probably.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Probably is a good answer. We can't be sure, but the tea-leaves suggest Qatar peaked in 2019-20 period and then began to noticeably decline in 2021-22. Still, I expect them to put a credible showing as hosts, even if I don't expect them to advance from their group.

6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    At this point, I kinda doubt they'll be able to win a game without some Byron Moreno-type shenanigans.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    That is a good point. I was thinking they could bury the hatch for day to give the middle finger to FIFA. But that would also screw over the fans who pay to attend the game. Would a red card, or culmative yellows in qualify rule out a player for the first WC game? If so, I doubt we see any starters play.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say that a straight red would (see: Chilavert in 2002). Don't know about the other cases...

9. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Qatar seems to have been using the same 14, 15 players since the 2019 Asian Cup. Winning the tournament seems to have given them the justification for using the same team and squeeze out every bit of usefulness out of that small group of players in the tournaments going forward.

It has also turned their national team into something of a closed shop. They seem to be throwing everything they have at the national team to the detriment of their youth national teams and clubs. You may notice a marked decline of these teams in other competitions during the post-2019 period.

Players like Almoez Ali who impressed in 2019 look wasteful and one dimensional, yet they know that barring injuries, they are virtually guaranteed a place in the starting XI for the World Cup.

Kamtedrejt, Cosmin10, Hayaka and 2 others repped this.
  10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran's defensive midfielder Saeed Ezatollahi, at the time a key player for Iran, received a red card early in the 2nd half of our away match against S.Korea in the 2018 WCQ (in a meaningless game for Iran since we had already clinched first place in our group). He received a 2 game suspension. He served the first missing our last WCQ against Syria but the 2nd left him suspended for our opening game against Morocco in WC-18. So, yes, red cards in any WCQ between Brazil-Argentina would certainly carry into the World Cup, at a minimum suspending the player for the first 2 games.

Hayaka repped this.
  11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Now that we have qualified for the World Cup it seems we will still waste the September window playing a centenary game against New Zealand.

12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #987 Kamtedrejt, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    That is absolutely correct. Their squad saw very very few new additions since ever they won the Asian Cup. Hence one could conclude that they haven't been motivated to give it their all and play at their best level in friendlies because of the lack of competitiveness inside the squad.
    That's why I believe we should judge Qatar exclusively by their results in the Asian Cup, Copa America, Gold Cup and to a lesser extent Arab Cup.

I don't think they'll get outclassed and humilated on home soil. If they play to the level we saw in all these tournaments they will have a decent campaign. Maybe not enough to make the knockouts but why not beat Ecuador?
    Without any disrespect to Ecuador I believe Qatar really couldn't have asked for a better opponent to get things rolling.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar beat Ecuador 4-2 in a friendly match a couple of years ago btw. I think they could win that. Lose that one however, and they're in real trouble...

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    At least at the Gold Cup what people saw was a reasonably decent attack, but a weak defense and a real huge problem with lack of depth (they tended to run out of gas repeatedly late in games and gave up most of their goals in that Gold Cup in 2nd halves). Just checked, yep, they gave up all 6 of their goals in the 2nd halves of Gold Cup games, they did score 12 in the tournament (3 vs Panama, 4 vs Grenada, 2 vs Honduras, 3 vs El Salvador, 0 vs USA) overall and evenly split them in each half (although all save one were 62nd minute or earlier).

They might surprise but it really depends on whether they can rediscover their Asian Cup form, and whether they've addressed the depth issues that made them look prone to late game collapses during the Gold Cup. I'm betting on "nope", Netherlands are Netherlands, and Senegal have looked defensively stout, and just barely good enough in the attack for the past five years or so, Ecuador is real hit and miss but they are athletic and fast and physical....I have a hard time seeing it, it helps that they get Ecuador first, maybe they can use that home crowd opener momentum to steal points.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have to assume, given the stakes and resources ($) available to them, by the time of the World Cup, Qatar will have addressed those issues that can be addressed with proper analysis, training and preparation. Otherwise, I agree that there are clear indications of a precipitous drop in form by Qatar. The fact that their clubs in the AFC CL have also not appeared as well in the past couple of AFC CL editions adds to that perception.

16. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #991 almango, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Actually two games. We play New Zealand in Brisbane on Sept 22 with a return fixture in Auckland on Sept 25. I'm not sure how this prepares us for France, Denmark and Tunisia. I suspect our federation didn't think we would qualify when they signed the contracts. With a player release for the world cup only 7 days before the tournament starts (8 days before we play France) there may be time for one training friendly against another qualified team in Qatar.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    CAF has supposedly postponed Septembers AFCON qualifying matches, to me moved to a later date in an effort to help the 5 WC qualified teams to prepare for the world cup in Qatar.

The African teams will now all be available for friendly matches, although they are pretty slim pickings.

Seems both Brazil and Argentina are free though, as well as South Korea, Chile, Canada.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you're willing to travel to South America: Brazil and Argentina have to play their postponed WCQ in São Paulo, so the friendly they schedule in the same September window will have to be over there.

19. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Take Canada off the list. Playing Uruguay on September 27 in Austria. It was confirmed today.

Paul Calixte and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  20. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #995 vancity eagle, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    They can play 2 matches.

Oh I see Canada is also playing Qatar.

21. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Chile will play Morocco and Qatar in September.

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Somebody could go down and play both Argentina AND Brazil.

That would be worth the flight.

23. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Argentina has nothing scheduled but IMO, knowing how the coach sees this preparation and if he's indeed forced to play Brazil, he will schedule some trash friendly at home against Bolivia or some weak Concacaf team to have a glorified training session. No facks given, he just wants to fast forward to November.

Christina99 and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC that would be the first African MNT to play in South America since Nigeria visited Peru for a friendly a few years back.

25. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Looks like that game was played all the way back in 2012: https://www.11v11.com/matches/peru-v-nigeria-23-may-2012-303079/

If there haven't been other friendlies since, then the last time an African MNT played in South America was at WC 2014 (Algeria-Germany?).