2022 FIFA World Cup: Friendly matches

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Philip J. Fry, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Iran match against Ecuador has still not been finalized, with the issue of an accessible and acceptable venue for both sides still unresolved. I am not sure if Ecuador is able to get visas for Canada or if they haven't found a stadium willing to host both teams in Toronto? Even if the match does take place, it seems it might not be in Canada. I'm thinking (no such proposals being mentioned) maybe they can play in Venezuela as visas should not be an issue in that venue. Or maybe Cuba?

2. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Or
    Or Ecuador could host Iran in Ecuador as a farewell match. But Iranians require a visa to pretty much all Latin American countries aswell.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Due to altitude, I don't think a match in Ecuador will be useful. Venezuela doesn't require visas from Iranians, which is why I suggested it as a possible venue.

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    It also shows Brazil will play Senegal and Ivory Coast. These are all just rumors that somebody puts on the wiki page before being confirmed.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To cover the chance Ecuador falls through, Iran has started talking to Senegal for a 14 June match in Tehran.

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Surprising the African champs haven't lined any friendlies up at all, there were rumors of Iran and Brazil, even S. Korea, but the Koreans are now apparently playing Egypt June 14.

Kamtedrejt and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Only at Quito (2.78 million inhabitants), which is Ecuador's capital city, you should worry about altitude.

Their second biggest city is Guayaquil (2.72 million inhabitants), which also happens to be home to their biggest stadiums, is almost at sea level.

As Qatar is at sea level, it would hold no purpose to their preparation for the WC to play in Quito.

Besides, it's only against an opponent in a friendly fixture. No need for that "extra plus" that altitude may provide.

Paul Calixte and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I would be very happy if we get to play Senegal in Tehran. But organizing friendlies with Iran involves navigating a minefield filled by numerous legal and political issues and while the venue being in Iran solves some of them, it add to others.. For instance, US laws that preclude visa free travel to the US for anyone traveling to Iran (and create hassles for entry into the US if you are foreign citizen who has traveled to Iran) has deterred most teams from wanting to play in Iran. There are also huge obstacles arising from the fact that major insurance companies wouldn't' cover these matches. Indeed, even European clubs that sign Iranian players often have to agree to exempt their Iranian player from their insurance and negotiate separately with smaller insurance companies with no US connections to cover their Iranian player. And then you have to deal with financial restrictions which preclude banking transactions with Iranian residents and entities. Even mundane money transfers to pay hotel bills and such are a hassle as Iran is cut from SWIFT. For instance, Iran is supposed to get a share of the ticket proceeds from its game against Canada. In reality, the money will be put in a blocked account which Iran's federation won't be able to access.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In that case, I wouldn't mind if the game was played in a low altitude venue in Ecuador.

10. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I doubt Ecuador would accept a friendly played in Venezuela cuz the pitches are trash there at every stadium and there is no money to gain playing there. It's also not like Ecuador is in desperate need of strong opponents for these friendlies either since they already got good ones like Nigeria and Mexico.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    How about Cuba as the venue?
    While Ecuador have good friendlies lined up, I think with Qatar in their group, they like to play a team from the AFC as well. So playing Iran sounds good to them in principle but the hassles might ultimately prove too much.

12. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Cuba even worse... they barely have functional football stadiums.

Ecuador will play Saudi Arabia next window anyway and they are more similar to Qatar as well. But I hope this friendly can be played.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  13. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Ecuador isn't exaclty dying to play Iran. They got already Saudi Arabia and Japan lined up in September.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If Ecuador have these friendlies against AFC teams lined up, then I suppose Iran will be a lot more interested in this match than Ecuador.

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last Concacaf Nations League, Cuba had to play their home games in the Cayman Islands... although they are scheduled to host in the upcoming edition, using a venue outside the capital.

16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    ECU cannot lose this opportunity for good press. It should arrange for all female Iranian fans to enter the stadium free-of-charge. Heavens know how long those women had to endure being unable to attend IRN men's matches.

It would be great karma for ECU before FIFA hands down its ruling on Castillo's state-sponsored fraud case.

17. RonaldoHexa

RonaldoHexa Member

Bahia
    Brazil
    Feb 26, 2018
    There's a lot of nonsensical stuff that pops up on Wikipedia, but according to Brazil's National Team page, they are going to play Qatar sometime in June. The date was not provided. I checked CBF's page and couldn't find any information about this game.

Since the South Korea and Japan games are confirmed and Brazil will not be allowed to play other friendlies outside of Asia in June, this one might actually happen. Does anyone have any info on this?

18. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Well Qatar has no friendlies confirmed either

19. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont understand why Argentina isnt booking friendlies

20. Risto234

Risto234 Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Tallinn
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    You can always play us. In fact i believe ARG vs EST was quite close back in 2014 but then it didnt happen (probably because we had another friendly already secured) ...

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know if Estonia are a good match for Argentina, but I think they would be a good match for Iran to test bench and reserve players to make its roster decisions. Besides, while Argentina won't lack offers and opportunities to play practically anyone they choose, Iran is a bit more desperate and we will have (even under the best of circumstances) quite a few FIFA days without an opponent to play.

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    State-sponsored ?:eek:
    Where you saw that ?:cautious:

If there really is anyone to blame in that case, it's the player together with some particular government officials doing bad their job, and also together with a mix of corrupt people (some of which may be at the FEF), whom together orchestrated the fake documents the player could have had.

As to where I know, and personally believe about the issue, the state of Ecuador has no direct involvement in this case.
    The state of Ecuador would actually be victims as well.

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Reports from Iranian media that Ecuador v Iran likely to be canceled and that Iran will play Senegal in Tehran.

24. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina does not need friendly game against any team except Brazil and top 3-4 European countries IMO. If Argentina plays friendly game against any team beside Brazil and top 3-4 European countries, your opponent benefits more from friendly game than you.

Christina99 repped this.
  25. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #250 AIL1998, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
    IMO you should never bring up any friendly game here until it is confirmed by football federations of both teams in the football federation website of both teams.