2022 FIFA WC Qualifying - Mexico vs United States; March 24, 2022

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Mar 18, 2022.

1. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    #501 erdons, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    So if a player is inconsistent in Europe in his final year is he by default finished? Most of our lineup in the MNT wouldn’t be able to hang in Europe, but cheech because of some weird reason is considered worthless at this point by some of y’all, I’d be willing to bet he would be one of the scoring leaders in ligamx right now. Ch14 is not our saviour, but let’s not act like a 31 year old Raul Jimenez with a cracked skull is really going to fare any better, as bad as the MLS is they are starting to win a lot of games against ligamx teams so not sure why his goals are downplayed so much. Saying “no” to our leading scorer because of club hate is moronic. Take away 2020 and cheech never stopped scoring.

2. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I said he was declining, not finished. Chicharito has not looked good recently. Also, Chicharito when he last played with Chivas> Chicharito now and Funes Mori has scored around the same amount of goals as Chicharito in his best year for chivas in recent times. The point is Chicharito is scoring in a subpar league and both Jimenez and Funes Mori have done better recently.

3. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So you're comparing a 31 year old scoring record vs a 21 year old scoring record. And that said 21 year old played when LigaMx was arguably better than its current state.

Your argument is not making sense.

SGuerrilla, Hecho en Chivas and AMLO2018 repped this.
  4. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The premise of your argument is that ligamx is by far better than MLS, I personally think it’s an absolute sh*t league, but truthfully ligamx isn’t that far ahead of mls at this point. 10 years ago by far, today not much, so discounting a player only became he’s scoring in MLS is kinda dumb especially when we don’t have the depth or talent pool to score goals very easily. I seem to remember one of our best players of all time have a pretty nice resurgence in the MLS and even got himself into the 2010 WC roster when foolishly left off in 2006, imagine Aguirre would’ve said “oh but he’s playing in mls, that doesn’t count because it’s such a bad league”

5. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    He wasn't "consistent" in West Ham and Sevilla, teams and leagues overly superior to Monterrey and everywhere Funes Mori has played. Now both are inconsistent but one was the better overall player and has lot more experience that Funes Mori will never have. Like I said stop grouping Jimenez with Funes Mori.

6. revilla18

revilla18 Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ya I’ll never understand the hate on Chicharito.

Chicharito never got the playing time he deserved with ANY of his clubs.

Did y’all forget that already ?

And when he did get playing time, he showed up.

The only club he got decent playing time with was Bayern and he scored 20+ Goals with them.

He only got playing time with his other clubs as a sub. He was overlooked, like most Mexicans in Europe.

You can’t be scoring 20+ Goals a season coming in as a sub every game.

Happened with Vela & Gio too (Although Gio did have other issues too)

He never got the time he deserved, and most of the time they threw him in he made an instant impact.

7. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I'm saying Funes mori, in recent years scored around the same amount of goals as chicharito's best season with chivas. Chicharito is past his prime now so it would be kinda illogical to say he'd do better than funes mori now, let alone be a top goal scorer in liga mx.

8. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    That's not really correct. He was a complete starter for West ham in his first season but he wasn't putting in the numbers. Chicharito also tends to become a bit inconsistent near the end of every season.

9. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    "was" that is the keyword. Chicharito was a better player he isn't the same player anymore . I don't know why you keep bringing that up. What makes you think Funes Mori won't be able to score 2 goals in mls this season?

10. El Verde

El Verde Member+

Oct 15, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
  11. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    No mames!

Even at his current level you can't compare Chicha to Funes Mori.

With the selecion, Funes has been given every chance to play and score against much lesser oponents and kept missing and missing.

Chicha is a killer when he's on, no matter where he plays. Funes Mori has not shown that, he's a pecho frio.

erdons repped this.
  12. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What makes you think he would? He's been bad in Monterrey this and last year and with the National team he was woeful to the point that even Martin was an upgrade.And it's him being closer to his prime than Hernandez.

SGuerrilla and erdons repped this.
  13. revilla18

revilla18 Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That’s not really correct either.

He wasn’t a complete starter with West Ham.

He was a starter under Slaven Billic though; and then a couple months later in his (Chicharitos) first year at West Ham, the manager got sacked and David Moyes came in.

We all know what happened there (If you actually followed)

David Moyes pushed him to the side and gave Arnautovic, Antonio and Mr. Andy Carroll the nod instead. Another case of Mexicans overlooked.

I remember being so pissed because it kept happening to all our guys.

Alopez, beat junky, erdons and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    That's exactly what I'm saying. He started in his first season and didn't bring in the goals before he was benched. It's funny you say that though because David Moyes LOVED Carlos Vela, to the point where he said Vela was a top player in europe.

15. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    How was Martin an upgrade? He scored 10 goals last season which isn't bad for the amount of games he played. Even Chofis Lopez is a goal scorer there

16. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    He was an upgrade in that he played better than Funes Mori this 2022 and he's been terrible with the NT but Mori right now is playing even worse.

revilla18 repped this.