2022 FIFA WC Qualifying - Mexico vs United States; March 24, 2022

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Mar 18, 2022.

1. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    As stated before if things go as planned that’s how it should happen, the old guard moves on the new generation takes over, the problem is when your Raul Jimenez, Funes Mori, Henry Martin, etc simply aren’t scoring, we’re stuck in no man’s land with no goals hence why people are calling for the dinosaur who seems to be scoring well.

2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #477 Deadtigers, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    The France team was in trouble years in 2006 back as they qualified but lack spark so the coach threw a hail Mary and brought a young player who had been on the outside named Frank Ribery who was tearing it up with the U-21s. The team had a great world cup finishing runner-up. In 2014, the new coach tried it again with Befami Gomis and the team struggled.

Point is who is the top attacking player on U-23, bring him in. I would also bring in the top domestic scorer for LigaMx.

3. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    Then we should bring Chofis López who has more goals in the last 2 seasons than HH, Lozano and Herrera combined, all of them who play in UEFA comps.

4. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What?

5. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I’m not mistaken the top 10 leading scorers in ligamx are foreigners, that sure doesn’t help.

6. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    #481 LAFEFUT, Mar 27, 2022
    Being devils advocate

The argument is that consideration should be given to Javier cause he has 2 goals this MLS season and I believe 19 last. Chofis López had around the same goals than Lozano, Tecate and HH combined last year in the same league as Hernandez

7. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Idk but I’m not looking at Lozano, Tecatito, HH for their goal scoring abilities, that’s just me though..

SGuerrilla repped this.
  8. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    I am indifferent at this point. However, with the discussion of Hernandez becoming toxic and exhausting, bringing him in at this point of qualifiers would be the breaking point if the current team. Remember, they took him out of the 2014 hex which coincidentally lead to qualifying for the World Cup. Make of it what you will.

9. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Our top U23 forwards are Aguirre, Santi Muñoz, Santi Giménez, Macías and Dupuy. Neither are going to change the dynamic of the NT. There’s Flores but he hasn’t even played a single minute on the main team.

I’d criticize Tata if there was a deserving youngster he was excluding but there really isn’t.

SGuerrilla and erdons repped this.
  10. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    #485 erdons, Mar 27, 2022
    Who says he would be toxic? you have every previous MNT coach praising him, how would online/media arguments about Chicharo even matter to the team itself, how would that be the breaking point? Some of the points you make are awfully lazy takes I read on twitter all the time. Yes Herrera took over and called a primarily domestic lineup without euros to play against New Zealand then ended up calling up the euro based players for the wc anyway.

SGuerrilla and Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  11. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You must have issues understanding sarcasm.... Nice try though, try again. Pinché pendejo

12. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Osorio would’ve done a lot better than Tata, he actually studies the opponents and changes as needed to the opponent, but his issue was he didn’t give continuance when it was needed.

SGuerrilla and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  13. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    por favor, lazy takes? You have the Chicharo fan base echoing the exact same thing when one tries to have an objective discussion but they quickly end up in “Argentina, …”. There are players in Conmebol who score on Argentina, Brasil and Uruguay all the time and no one says that they scored on them.

14. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I don't think you've seen him play for MLS this season if you think Funes Mori or Jimmenez wouldn't do the same. Kinda sad how the benchmark is now how many goals you can score in a league everyone has been shitting on for years and years. At least Vela proved he can do it against non MLS team while he was in LAFC

15. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    And Chicharito was still benched for Peralta. You forget during that time Chicharito was in a goal drought for a year

16. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Are you seriously putting Jimenez and Funes Mori on the same page? One absolutely, the other one not so much. You talk about Vela but it's the same case in that neither is getting call up for MLS, just as Marquez, Blanco, etc. They aren't Chofis who hadn't done jackshit before going to MLS or even Alan Pulido. He's the top scorer in the MNT and he would have been an addition the same way players like Guardado and HH do in a lot lesser role as he would be in a place where we are weak in as are strikers (a la Funes Mori and Henry Martin).

You're being charitable in calling them just "lazy".

17. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Except it's not absurd and I'm not saying he's just based on this but if Martino is getting criticism on his particular spell in the NT with CONCACAF, you have to take into account his tenure in that spell. By your logic we could go on about Chepo because of 2011 Gold Cup or the Tata example. Herrera never stood out on CONCACAF at all and his getting fired for the Martinoli thing might have actually benefited him in that way because unlike your take, I constantly seeing people, especially Americanistas, totally disregard his post 2014 World Cup tenure. Of course now that World Cup qualifiers are done, Mexico won't face them until 2028-2030 except for Gold Cups but then might as well expand the net after Martino is gone.

SGuerrilla repped this.
  18. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    The point is both Funes Mori and Jimenez would do no worse than chicharito in MLS right now this isn't even debatable. Once again, when was scoring MLS goals a benchmark for calling up players? Why make an exception for Chicharito? Yes, he was the top scorer but Guardado was also a good player too, but no one wants him in the starting lineup. Why make an exception for Chicharito if we all want old farts out? This is no different than old Salcido a few years back, who was SOLID in his prime.

Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  19. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Who cares. He's not better than Jimenez in 2022, and if you Bench Jimenez at this time.You might crush his confidence coming off of a horrific injury..I say Let him play and if we go down. We go down knowing our best players played.

El Pipiripau and LGRod repped this.
  20. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    More like no improvement at all.

AMLO2018, LGRod and El Verde repped this.
  21. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’d love to say that with 100% confidence but I have my doubts, but we truly will never know it’s a moot point. I’ll just go “enjoy” another scoreless draw vs powerful Honduras

22. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What are you talking about not being debatable? It sure as hell is debatable. Chicharito and Jimenez are in another tie career wise to Funes Mori. The difference was that Funes Mori was closer to his prime than Chicharito and now his performances so far means that it might not have been even a good enough reason. And I don't know why people are talking about Guardado but him not starting doesn't mean he doesn't play and that he's a good option in the bench. After all these are World Cup qualifiers and the World Cup is right along this season. It's not like we just saw that Jimenez have an awful performance and your option to replace him is Henry Martin, who is at the same level as Jimenez at his worst.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  23. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Funes Mori is no worse than Chicharito at this point. He has been more consistent and scored goal in better leagues than Chicharito currently.

LGRod repped this.
  24. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What are you talking about more consistent? He's been anything but the last two years. And prior to getting to MLS for Chicharito, it's a no question who was the superior player.

NCCFBALL, AMLO2018 and erdons repped this.
  25. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    pretty sure funes mori is up there with jimenez for goals scored for club post 2018 world cup. chicharito hasn't been consistent in europe the last year or so he was there. he was pretty much declining and then joined MLS