2022 EAFF E-1 Football Championship

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Lionel Richie, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's a systematical error within our footballing system. I honestly have no clue as to what the folks above are doing at the top, but they clearly haven't been paying attention to any of the events that's been going on regarding football.

How much money is being poured into the system is one thing, how they are utilizing it is another. I remember reading something behind Kim Pan-gon's final words before leaving to Malaysia on how he's had some clashes within the KFA, and how it was difficult for him to even execute his role as the Technical Director. He wanted to focus on pouring everything into the national team as well as the footballing system, but they wanted to shaft him to more of an advisory role.

2. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016

Or we dont have a system.

Our youth system is garbage. They focus on winning shit tournaments for the sake of the managers' careers.

Sure, we do have a good quality pool of players, but not good enough.

Seol Korea repped this.
  3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, it's exactly what I've just mentioned. Their quality of players are just better, or at least I stated that in the previous page.

4. dougdimmadome

dougdimmadome Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Definitely not pinning this eaff loss on Bento. More talking about his long-term preference to pick average K-league players than players performing in foreign leagues. For example Mallorca fans are raving about Kang In at the moment from his preseason performances. It's obvious that he's probably the best player in our national team for key passes and close control. But they pick K-league players over him that will never feature, never do anything of importance. In fact, can we even say Kang In is a defensive liability as if Lee Jae Sung isn't? Or the average K-League players who never faced a good team in their life?

Seol Korea repped this.
  5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think we all share this sentiment/frustration for as long as we can remember. Almost every manager we've had (Bento included), we had to deal with some sort of stubbornness over player selection, and we'd often question why X player isn't selected, and or why a mediocre/fringe player is selected over him knowing the obvious qualities between the two.

I really don't know what to say honestly. No matter who we have as our manager, this very issue we're discussing about will always be present one way or another. It was the same when we had Hong Myung-bo, Stielike, Shin Tae-yong.

seolseol repped this.
  6. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Yea. I think it always has been like that. Korea has one superstar and Japan just has a better pool of quality players..

Seol Korea and seolseol repped this.
  7. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    But... none of these are "great" managers. I even doubt Bento is better than STY. I personally prefer to have STY back if we are gonna keep hiring shitty foreign managers. There's no point of paying wayyyy more money just for being a foreigner. Oh well, we will not be able to hire a good manager anyway. There's 0 reason for them to come to Korea.

At least, I want to have a manager who knows our strength. Speed and stamina. No BS tiki-taka/buildups that none of our players can do.

8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, but it also happens/have happened amongst top managers as well. Managerial stubbornness is something we're going to face no matter who we end up with.

Also, I don't see the KFA appointing a decent foreign manager post WC, neither am I expecting it, at least not with 이용수 in charge. It would be a miracle if we do get a decent foreign name, but if the KFA does go the foreign route, then we'll most likely end up with a mediocre or subpar manager with a bad cv/back track record of failures looking to revitalize their career.

I'm most certain the KFA will go the 국내파 route however, and the return of Hong Myung-bo is the likely scenario. I am neither for it nor against it, but judging from the way things are looking and going with Ulsan, he's the best option we've got. Shin Tae-yong won't be back due to his contract with Indonesia, and Hwang Sun-hong is currently with the u23 team unless they force him (Hwang Sun-hong is an immediate no for me). Albeit, I would like to see Yoon Jung-hwan get a shot, but then again I doubt it would happen.

9. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    #34 LeeSeungWoo, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    I prefer it that way to KFA getting involved in player selection. You know how ppl use personal relationships in Korea if you let them do whatever the fk they want.

One downside to hiring a Korean manager is that he's too vulnerable to criticism and easier to be pressured/controlled by KFA.

10. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Japan is improving, but they still have a lot of work to do. It was as recently as their last game before this one in which they couldn't score against China. Last month, Japan lost to Tunisia at Japan's home ground in a friendly. They also struggled during the World Cup qualification. It even looked as if they'd fail to qualify during the early phase of their Group B qualification round. Japan lost their first matches against Oman and Saudi Arabia. In other words, our team is in serious trouble if they can barely make a shot against Japan. I think Korea made 0 shots against Japan during the first half if I remember correctly. Japan clearly is working to remedy their weaknesses since they have to face the likes of Germany and Spain in their group. Coincidentally, Korea faced the same hurdle when they had to face the two same countries in their group during the 1994 World Cup. Like Japan today, the Korean team did a lot of preparation for 1994. I hope our K-League players will cooperate with our Europe based players, which I've seen them not do before.

11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I totally agree.
    And I actually believe Korea will surprise at the WC.
    But seriously, they need to change. Japan is spitting out players to Europe. And you can say its no different from K or J league. But it is. Its a fantastic first step.

Korea seem 10 years behind on this level.

12. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    A lot of Japanese players go to Europe not because they are good enough but because they are cheap as fk thru the partnerships. It's hard for Korea to get partnerships with European teams like Japan does because of military service. That still helps them a lot without a doubt.. I think LCS said so during an interview. It makes a lot of sense to me.

I really think Japan just needs a good striker.

13. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, they're still doing that, 이용수 is providing a list of players to Bento to choose from.

And yeah, domestic managers are always and will always be prone to being throne under the bus by the KFA because it's such an easy pick and dump for them. But, if there's no suitable foreign name, then we have no choice but domestic.

In fact, the KFA should be or should've been starting that process by forming a proper criteria for the hiring process right away, knowing most foreign managers are prone to being picked up by clubs ahead of the new season, and considering that Korea isn't really a hot spot/pick for these managers as well.

14. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Aside from Okazaki, I can't remember the last time they had a prominent striker. Maybe Suzuki, Takahara, Yanagisawa? Not trying to say Muto, Osako, Asano or anyone of the new faces like Hosoya, Machino, Iwasaki, Nishimura are bad, it's just that it's been a while since they've had a prominent striker, and they're so stacked in the midfield department. Okubo was good but not prominent, and there's a good reason why he was dubbed "Yakubo" at one point in his career.

15. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    I guess it was the same for Korea until we got Son. But technically Son is not a striker..

Imagine we had Sonny 15-20 years ago.

16. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    That was when Bento started. I think he directly told them to not do that so he does not get any biases.

I still believe Korea will never get decent managers unless they pay much much more. Even then, even with the best result, I think we will only get a manager who used to be decent but is going downhill..

17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No, when Bento started, Kim Pan-gon gave more power to him. I'm sure they've made suggestions, but he left it to Bento to decide. Now that he's gone and 이용수 is back, it's the same thing all over again.

And, like I said above, finding a suitable manager who actually wants to help the team is already a difficult process: 1. Geographically, our team let alone our country isn't an eye opener for a lot of decent foreign names. 2. There needs to be a significant incentive for them to take the job as the WC isn't enough to persuade them. 3. A lot of them prefer club over national team due to league and other club titles like the ucl and Europa League, plus they have more time to spend with the team rather than the less time spent of preparations for friendlies as such. 4. They want more money.

It's either gonna be Hong Myung-bo or bust. But, if the KFA does go foreign again, then we'll end up with a mediocre or subpar one.

18. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Wtf when did we get 이용수 back? What happened to 김판곤? I really liked the guy.

19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #44 Seol Korea, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    I thought you knew? It was all over the news. Anyway, he basically left his post after the WCQs to return to management after he accepted the offer to manage the Malaysian national team while performing a miracle by leading them to qualify for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup.

이용수 was basically at the vp seat during that time, even after causing the mess four years ago as the technical director. You'd think or at least expect he'd actually leave by resigning from his position, but it's only a ruse into making the public believe he'd take full responsibility and leave. Again, the KFA are notorious for playing musical chairs, hence Hwangbo Kwan still being at the KFA even till today.

Bluewings21 repped this.
  20. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Ah right.. now I remember.. after you mentioned Malaysia.

Seol Korea repped this.
  21. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    They tried to shaft him from his role, and he was extremely furious that they were telling him to be more of an advisor rather than a technical director. He really wanted to pour everything into helping our senior team as well, but in the end he seemed fed up and decided that going back to national team management was a perfect way out of the KFA.

Bluewings21 and LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  22. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    F**K Chung Mong-kyu, F**K Lee Yong-soo, F**K Hwangbo Kwan

Tired of seeing these clowns ruining the system KPK implemented.

Now we have to lower our expectation for this World Cup featuring the most talented group we've ever put since 2010.

23. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    this squad is not more talented than 2014
    Then, we had prime KSY and a bunch of guys in Europe. Unfortunately, all the European-based players were in shit form/injured just in time for the world cup