2022 Dynamo kits

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 20, 2022.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    surely you read the fullness of the post where i hinted at any number of such autopilot or penny pinching decisions? since they got sold i doubt it's a money tree and the field play is obvious. as i said the other day, many of these complaints are indeed minor but it's the accumulation of majors and minors, the autopilot way we get there. fans don't like it and probably costs them money too. you have people saying they would buy something more creative. that's missing merch revenue. we tend to represent some bigger bloc of fans. and surely fubo would like eyes on their logo as opposed to the fans are too bored to notice the top.

2. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Again the team doesn’t need to design creative warmup jerseys because the league/adidas already does that. You can let this be autopilot so you can actually focus on things that matter more.

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m11...VdNH96GFERx2FDQPJNabzZiGKcpXJj7MaAnKJEALw_wcB

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m10...ro3-_Dff4VoiXicT_MXkUGybanIqZWd4aAioWEALw_wcB

https://www.mlsstore.com/houston-dy...+z-8-3136372882?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r2c1:po-7

https://www.mlsstore.com/houston-dy...-9-2858410105?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r10c0:po-30

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #28 juvechelsea, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    never seen them before, most of those are hideous, and probably 10 sold

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I think there are hits and misses, but as someone who’s a loud critic of our current logo do you think our FO can do better?

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    to be fair, one of the first things i notice on the practice kit is that the logo probably looks no better turned into a monochrome notan. lit's like a monogram on a dress shirt, which is an ownership thing and not usually seen as pretty. more i look at it i even see a compositional mismatch between the geometry of the hexagon and the script of the logo. or between the logo and the redundant spelling out of the name, a bad sign for a logo.

vs they had kind of distilled down the old multicolor dynamo logo into something nice and effective to be applied in all black, and the lettering matches the crest shape, etc.

buuuuuuuuuuuuut designer JC thinks you could take a light blue shirt and salvage it by some mix of shrinking the logo and turning it into a white silhouette against blue instead of a radioactive orange or harsh black, which would almost hide it a little.

https://www.mlsstore.com/houston-dy...sey/t-36670214+p-2519598569417+z-9-1770643675

like take that logo and turn the orange white, then the background color is columbia blue instead of turquoise.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 CeltTexan, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Again, our jersey is very recognizable for our orange and as mentioned when turning on a game, our team quickly stands out. So to accent this, the black and sky blue is very solid.
    C'mon Pat, bring the club back to its roots. Our city has always had the nickname of Space City. And when looking to the stars, from anywhere around the globe, people see the sky blue color. It stands to reason that Space City Planet Earth would have a team that plays the most dominant sport on Earth with colors of orange for our terrific construction and traffic, black for the Raven Sam Houston and sky blue for the forward thinking spirit here in town. Specifically NASA and looking to grown mankind towards the stars!

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    the black jerseys have been neat to look at and a rare instance of creativity. but i still wonder if they are unusually hot a color. the idea is to be better adapted to our summer than our opponent. i would wear orange or white at home and the black on the road in cooler locales or night games.

at some point the practical needs to start overriding fashion choices. including system.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Varus repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting tweet from the Dynamo Charities:

But the Dynamo also said:

So we may get to see the new kit next week but the team may be wearing last year's a bit longer. Our new one is the non-orange one so not a big deal, we almost always wear orange, home and away.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks solid!
    I do wish our FO would incorporate our Space City sky blue as an accent on the collar and or sleave.

12. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    First reaction is that it’s sharp. Love the contrasts of the orange and silver. The crest from the pictures I’ve seen looks slightly reflective which is a cool touch. I think it’s 2nd or 3rd best black jersey, which by default puts it at 2nd or 3rd best away jersey. Doesn’t top the tequila sunrise but I think it edges out the orange V jersey. I’ll wait on seeing it in person before final call.

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever been with an aged loved one who forgets that a beloved son has passed? You feel awkward pointing it out to them when they ask for that child. I feel like that. I’m pretty sure that the light blue is gone from the Dynamo color palette. It is a Dash color only now.

14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think it’s awful. Big fan of the last two black jerseys, but this one is yuck. Not my style.

DynamoManiac and *rey* repped this.
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    it's ok. it might appeal a little to the camo crowd. little goofy busy to sell a ton to fans.

i'd say 2 seemingly contradictory things which really aren't, 1, there isn't enough orange to bother with the orange, design wise, it just distracts from the black and grey, but 2, what separates you from the emerging pile of black jersey teams is using more orange. it's kind of like the 433 in the sense it was once creative and is now become de rigeur.

16. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    The tequila sunrise, totally agree.
    The thin asymmetric stripe one I’m surprised to hear that.

17. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I honestly just realized I’ve blacked out the thin asymmetrical one. I liked tequila sunrise and the blatant Germany ripoff.

This is an improvement over the last one.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany ripoff or Velez Sarsfield look o lo que sea, for sure that one of ours was the gold standard for our club when talking alternate jerseys!

When talking NASA and space exploration, i.e. getting off our planet to forward mankind into the stars from home base Houston Texas, the color of the blue sky is the same all around our Earth!

I just want it to remain the accent color OL always intended it to be.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No big shakes either way, but what is the link of this design to the bayous? Maybe if they had some sort of background river or water or something, it looks just like a gray-black camo. Could have taken a bayou map from Harris County Flood Control and used that as a background pattern

20. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I’m 100% with you brother. I wanted it as our alternative jersey color before half the league adopted it. But the marketing consultants don’t like the sky blue.

21. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The silver represents our desire to acquire silverware---

The terrible marketing team has found a new bottom

PS

IMG_1831.JPG

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo Marketing Team Meeting
    Time: Some point in the last 6 months

"Here's the design options for the alternate shirt Adidas has presented us with for next season"

"Wow, I like that camo design. It's got a real hip urban vibe to it. If we did it in black and silver, that would be a great seller."

"Okay, but those are Dynamo colors. How do we market this to Dynamo fans without upsetting them that we are moving further and further away from team traditions"

"Hmm, I know. Let's call it The Bayou Kit and say all the patterns represent the bayous. The morons will eat that shit up."

"Yeah but, that looks nothing like bayous. It's not even a map of where the bayous flow throughout the city. What's the connection"

"I got it! We'll say it represents the moonlight reflecting off the bayous."

"But it doesn't really look like that either"

"Don't you understand, it doesn't matter. We just tell them that is what it is, slap on a badge that says 'Bayou Kit' and they will lap it up. Suckers!"

Or something like that....

7seven7 and CeltTexan repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/charlotte-fc-unveil-2022-newly-minted-kit

i assume this is why we didn't go raiders with a cleaner jersey

if you have to hit the brakes and zig and zag maybe your lane choice is already too crowded

black was cool a bit ago, now blue or back to white would be creative

i still think black in texas is stupid

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/topics/jerseys/?

the cutesy jersey names and "let me explain what that pixel of blue REALLY means" is universal

to me the design should speak for itself, either works or not, if it works i might be curious why the designer made their choices, but you can't fix ugly with a story