News: 2022 - DCU Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Considering how many goals he has in recent seasons, are those waffles indicative of the number of goals we expect from him in a season?

JayRockers!, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  2. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Looking forward to losing to Philly 7-5 now.

Yowza repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Ashton still participates in practices, but I don't think he, or the players, would agree that Rooney is only a figurehead.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am willing to give them TV time..............................

Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a risky move by DC United. 2.5 year deal. Multi-million dollar transfer fee. I imagine his salary is ~ $3M. They bet the house on him. And DC with the worst defense in MLS.

There are 12 games left in the season and Benteke has to get a work visa, so 8/20 will be his first. How many of those 10 remaining games can DCU realistically win? 4?

Winoman and shammypants repped this.
  6. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t matter for this season, only getting him integrated and comfortable for next season matters now.

Atouk repped this.
  7. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy to see Kasper be gone (and Levien to sell the team), and we obviously have no idea how all these moves will work out, or where Rushton fits in to all of this. But, we if want to say, with cautious optimism, that these are generally positive moves then I don't know that it's fair to withhold the compliment because these guys would not "be here if not for Rooney." I would think that is part of the reason they brought Rooney in, so here's some conditional* credit where it's due.

(*Let's see how it pans out. What a strange feeling – posting somewhat positive words about this FO. o_O)

8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The weird thing about getting Benteke is how Ola Kamara came over for basically free all things considered and dropped 19 goals in 2021 and already 7 this year. What constitutes a successful 3+ million a year deal in this context?

9. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Rushton….what does she do exactly?

Yowza repped this.
  10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    she runs the computers

griffin1108 and Yowza repped this.
  11. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cool. I just don't want to hear it from him, like he was integral. Sure, he had to get the Benteke thing over the line in time, but otherwise total non-factor in the Morrison, Palsson and Benteke signings.

shawn12011 and ImNumberTen repped this.
  12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think fans will want to see DCU move off the bottom of the table and get to mid-table. Playoffs are probably out of reach at this point, but who knows? If all goes well, Benteke bangs in 1 or 2 per game and we rise up the table. If all goes well .....

Yowza repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    One or two per game would make him an MLS legend and he’d probably carry that form over to the World Cup, earning a transfer back to Europe in January.

Thx,

Jay?

14. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    and the defense will have to figure out how to stop the other team too

John L and Winoman repped this.
  15. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. We're gonna streak up the table with a series of 6-5 and 5-4 victories. Mark my words. ;)

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. No, I do NOT expect that to happen.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually laughed when I read this. 1 or 2 a game? Mario, Mario, Mario ... come on, my brother. Putting aside how fanciful that desire is, who is going to prevent us from conceding goals? We will need a goal a game from him just to be average over the last 12 games, based on our defense. Average does not get us anywhere near the playoff line. Think about this for a moment -- in 22 games, DCU has conceded exactly 2 goals on 9 occasions, and 3+ goals on 7 occasions. That's 16 out of 22 games conceding multiple goals. Last I checked, we support the worst defensive team in the entire league. And we just watched one of our half-decent defenders go down with an injury. Forget about considering the playoffs. You will be much happier when you do.

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    #1293 JayRockers!, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    “If all goes well, Benteke bangs in 1 or 2 per game and we rise up the table. If all goes well .....”

If all goes well you think his FLOOR is Zlatan, MLS all-time GPM leader at 1/91. Stern John next at 101 and Josef Martinez at 103. Taty was 1/155. Let me know when I name someone that you think “if all goes well” Benteke will come close to emulating.

Conor Casey? He’s a goal every other two games.

I’d be happy if he play ten games and gets 4 non penalty goals.

Thx,

Jay!

John L repped this.
  19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should laugh. That was a tongue-in-cheek comment. "If all goes well ..." was indicating that it was a fantasy. Nothing ever goes perfectly well. Not going to happen. DC won't make the playoffs. However, if they can move as high as the 10th position in the table, I'll be pleased.

I don't honestly know what to expect from Mr. Benteke. He was a top-class striker 6 years ago, but he's been fading ever since. He should be above MLS level, and for those wages, he better be!

majspike, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  20. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    John Brooks is still out of contract. *Ducks*

majspike, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    adding a Forward who can score a non-PK goal every two games will take a lot of defensive pressure off Taxi

Its Berry I'm not too sure about unless he can get a lot of assists

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    adding a Forward who can score a non-PK goal every two games will take a lot of defensive pressure off Taxi

Its Berry I'm not too sure about unless he can get a lot of assists 0

23. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean at this point how does Berry even see the field other than bullshit time if we’re ahead or in case of an injury? Once everyone is onboarded and has paperwork done. That’s as it should be though

Alejandro 10 and Yowza repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Brooks would be an upgrade here. But likely not worth the cost in moving up the allocation order plus his likely wage demands.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Thus the reference to ducking. It would be a controversial move, even if we could pull it off and talk him into leaving Germany.