News: 2022 - DCU Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New year, season, thread.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the general thread for all non-game day specific threads. Player acquisition, FO Moves, etc.

3. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    so, we should not post in "FO or lack thereof?"

of will that one be reserved for calling out a certain type FO quackery?

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can start a new one that is clean if there is a need for it. I'll stick it. That one is very old and could probably just drift away.

5. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    are the clear roof panels installed yet?

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are so amazingly clear you can see right thru them! Weird that they don't seem to stop any of the rain though.

bigredfutbol, sitruc, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really is the one benefit of being on the East side of the stadium - the roof over the non-club areas there more than adequately covers everyone.

8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Goff had some info from training today:
    Kamara is in training after missing the trip to California due to health protocols
    Robertha is out for Saturday
    The Moreno trade to Cincy is all but official
    Djeffal has signed, but is awaiting MLS approval
    The starters from the Galaxy exhibition game should be the starters for Saturday with Perez starting instead of Yow, and
    Losada says their biggest needs are a 3rd DP (which the team is still pursuing), a goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder, and one or two additional offensive weapons.

bigredfutbol, sitruc, garbaggio and 2 others repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additional info - Kimarni Smith and Jacob Greene are headed to Loudoun (that at least opens up an international roster spot), while Jeremy Garay and Ted Ku-DiPietro are staying with DCU for now.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Interesting. Does that mean Birnbaum out left, BHI in the middle and Najar on the right? Maybe Losada views BHI as a better organizer? Seems like based on pace, you would switch BHI and Birnbaum. I really want to see what Perez can bring playing on the right side with a healthy Flores and a real target guy like Estrada. Yow has far more pace, but in his year+, it's clear Losada doesn't rate him that high. Of course none of this matters, because Flores will go down with his annual hamstring injury within the first 20 minutes and blow the whole formation to hell.

PSURoss repped this.
  11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perez really shouldn't be starting if Kamara or Robertha are fit and ready to go.

PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  12. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Are we certain we are going to line up with two wingers and a striker like we did most of last year (but not always)?

Because it could be Flores in the middle with two strikers up top in Estrada and Perez (or whoever).

I don't think Perez is fast enough (either in his physical speed or speed of play) to play in MLS. Happy to be proven wrong, but what I saw last year was a VERY slow player who always held the ball too long and seemed to have a terrible shot for an attacking player...

But if he's going to play I think I'd be more interested in him as part of two striker set-up than as an outside winger.

Winoman repped this.
  13. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has there been a determination if Guest is in the lineup for saturday?

Winoman repped this.
  14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Own Goal is.................:D

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boots polished and ready to go.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do hope he's "fer us" and not "agin' us."

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robertha is out.
    Kamara hasn't played with the team at all at least in preseason games. Maybe he's practiced more than we've heard about. Not sure how much Perez has played with the team this preseason either.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For tomorrow, this is true.

For the season as a whole? Perez shouldn't start over Kamara or Robertha.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for sure. And when the Taxi arrives, one more player will be dropped for him. Not clear who. I don't think I know his position well enough to know how he fits in or what formation we'll play if all top players are ever here and healthy at the same time.

Winoman and pr0ner repped this.
  20. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    that's inspiring - 2 days before the opener and the coach says all he needs is 5 starters.... :)

anotherfan, superdave and Yowza repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in the info from Losada indicates the team needs 5 new starters.

sitruc, Winoman, PSURoss and 1 other person repped this.
  22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone is healthy, I'd imagine it'd be a front 3 of Estrada, Taxi, and Flores in some combination. With Kamara and/or Robertha getting starts as needed.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you read the quotes very carefully or understand what Losada is saying.

24. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't say starters, but I rec'd your post anyway b/c the point is the team is short, and the coach had to call them out again.
    And I can't disagree with him. A goalie (absolutely), a DM (sure seems like it), a 3rd DP (that'd be nice) and two or three more attackers (if Perez is a starter, that's a problem).
    They have until May when the window closes, so not all hope is lost. But I can see a scenario where Losada is frustrated and leaves at the end of the year.
    At least get some of these spots filled from within MLS. Keeper and DM could have been dealt with in free agency, but they dropped the ball. They could've kept Reyna, or Junior, or Felipe.
    I like the signings they did make, but there isn't enough. Again. It's the same old song and dance.

sitruc and JRHokie repped this.
  25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    On the DM front, I think Moreno was probably due a good bit more money. He's performed in MLS, knows the league, been durable which is probably why CLT with the extra expansion GAM signed him. With Moreno being so much like Canouse, letting an out of contract Moreno go, to get more money elsewhere made sense. I'd love to know what Felipe got from Austin, because he wasn't on insane money last year and prolly wasn't asking for a crazy number going into this season, although I'd bet he wanted a 3 yr deal.

You're prolly not finding a keeper who could push Bill on the FA market. Maybe I am wrong there, but I don't think so. Bill is a top 10 keeper in this league who is capable of being the best keeper in the league, a deck chair is not going to push him. The guy who can push Bill is not hanging out right now, he's someone's starter in this league or someone on a free this summer.

The attack remains thin, but that's the standard MO of this ownership group to do the bare minimum. I would be concerned about Losada if we don't have the players he's asking for by the end of the summer window. Then the fuse is really lit.

song219 and Yowza repped this.