News: 2022 Chicago Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Whenever anyone asks this question, I just point to this.
    upload_2022-5-14_13-7-19.png

This team has a whole lot of other issues with it that would absolutely stand in the way of a signing like this, but a lack of funds is not one of those, imo.

goldclover repped this.
  2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Homie could buy twitter and STILL have enough left to sign him. LFG!
    (EDIT: before some dipshit fixes their taped up glasses to tell me that net worth isn’t cash on hand- I know, who cares, it’s okay).

Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  3. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK MLS secondary transfer window (the rest of the world calls it the summer transfer window) runs July 7 - August 4 (I believe). It seems like all the CF97 DP slots are full and the Fire could REALLY use a goal scorer. Lots of guys are out of contract and a few guys might be looking for a "retirement" MLS transfer as well as some young guys maybe looking to make a move. Does anyone think the Fire will make any moves or are they going to stand pat?

Zlatan out of contract. Most names on this list are staying in Europe but you never know? Man Utd has a new manager and will likely clear out some dead wood which might look nice in Fire Red...I mean ahem...Blue. Anyone hear any rumors? Ronaldo has probably one more year at Man U before looking to bring his "brand" to MLS. https://www.footballtransfers.com/e...n-2022-best-free-agents-available-on-a-bosman

10 potential MLS transfers this summer: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ten-potential-european-free-transfers-mls-clubs-summer-greg-selzter

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  4. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there some mechanism for a team to buy a 4th DP from another team? I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of MLS roster machinations though, so I might be wrong.

goldclover repped this.
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Phew!!! We are glad that you are NOT Nelson Rodriguez!! :thumbsup:

Old Man! and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  6. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    pretty sure you can trade for a DP slot like you can trade for international slots

goldclover repped this.
  7. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No.
    I did research on MLS roster mechanisms a while back and while much of it is shrouded in mystery and I had to rely on an old CBA given to me by a former player, that is one thing that seems clear.
    Each team gets 2 DP slots and an option for a third. That third slot is either purchased for some amount of money or is used on a Young Designated Player (U-22). No trading of slots, these are the only ones you've got. So the Fire have two normal DPs and one YDP (Torres), meaning they didn't have to pay for that slot.
    Allegedly, Gaston's new contract was supposed to make him easier to buy down? But judging by what we're seeing, I don't think they'll do it.
    The wiggle room they do have is an extra U20 Initiative slot (how they got Fede) and they probably have some DTAM for a DP-level player who could be bought down (like what Czichos is).
    The U20 Initiative was introduced after I did my research, but from what I understand it's basically taking all those random trash DPs we had in the early 2010s like Puppo and Anangono and making it so you don't have to use a DP slot to get them.
    And, judging by the contract spend, I don't think the Fire are using that much allocation money. They have to have plenty left. Although, buying down Czichos and Kacper, as well as trading for Kacper and Mueller, probably took a lot out of it.

In short: The Fire cannot get another DP because of Gaston. Literally just Gaston. Torres fills an important role in MLS Roster makeup and Shaqiri is the big ticket guy. Gaston is the definition of dead cap space.

bunge and Old Man! repped this.
  8. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like Lugano could use a new CM...

bunge, Jiggly_333, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  9. As a matter of fact, . . . Lugano's top 3 center mids are out of contract and a fourth has already signed with Udinese. AND they are plaiyng in Europa League qualifiers.

GHjelm repped this.
  10. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wasn't part of reupping Gaston's contract so there'd be some leverage, with contract then not ending this season, if he played like he's supposed to and the Fire would get more in a trade/sell off?

How's that working?

11. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contract aside, the thought of this club without Gaston this season is not a good one. His defensive presence seems to be more missed than Czichos from what I’ve seen so far. Doesn’t mean he’s worth a DP tag or anything, but he’s definitely been a presence in the midfield for us this season.

overlap_old_coach repped this.
  12. I give you the fact that Gaston has played closer to his 2020 form than his 2021 form. As opposed to last season he's been better than Fede Navarro. Still, he has far too many brain farts tracking marks that too often end up in goals against. At least Pineda doesn't have brain farts in his own half. Gaston's level of play is easily replaceable at less than DP level and that DP slot is gold right now.

Pennsylvania Dave, xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  13. The way this has blown up on the tweeters I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here. Interest confirmed in Madrid press. Marty says offer is for Real Madrid Castilla (reserve team 3rd division). McRaney reports no offers received from anyone yet.

Attached Files:

14. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely there will be a better offer than the Spanish 3rd division.

[​IMG]

GHjelm, goldclover, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  15. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But but but but but but but it's Real Madrid.

Fuegofan repped this.
  16. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Champions League winners.

Fuegofan repped this.
  17. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! Don’t get fooled by the glitz! This is their reserve team and I’d also point out that, with rare exception, Madrid is not particularly well known for developing their own stars, but rather buying them.

Glad they beat Liverpool, but hard to have a rooting interest in a game between two Super League members who wanted to destroy the club game for their selfish benefit.

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  18. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Bayern isn't offering first team minutes either.
    Apparently Wolves has the possibility to challenge for the top spot on the first team.

Old Man! repped this.
  19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Let him go if we can make millions. Has he gotten us three points yet this season? I’m no hater but the hype isn’t worth the headache and if he’s half as good as the hype says he’s gone anyway. Sell him with a sell on clause and be done with it.

HerthaBerwyn, xtomx and Old Man! repped this.
  20. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If we make millions yes.

21. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    I want him to succeed

which clubs are good for GK development?

22. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Once upon a time, I heard the plan was:

1. Move to NSF,
    2. ???
    3. Profit!!!

Has this org made it to step 3 yet?

Asking for a friend.

xtomx, bunge and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  23. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's kind of a crap shoot. If you look at some of the better keepers right now(Donnarumma, Ederson, Neuer, Courtois, Oblak, Handanovic), they all came from different clubs and were developed by different clubs before establishing themselves. I think it has more to do with the talent that the keeper has rather than a club for development.

bunge repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @Khan, great to have you post here.
    Hope you are feeling better with the whole COVID thing over the last week or so.

We are still in "Underpants Gnomes" Stage Two.

Khan repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Chicago Fire. We have developed two very good goalkeepers from the beginning (Johnson and SLONINA), developed one from a 24 year old part timer (6 games in 2 seasons) to a star (Zach Thornton)
    ...and we have signed a bunch of high priced crap ones.