2022-23 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 11, 2022.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe the metric is academy players who had the greatest impact on the senior team in 2022? Still seems odd that Dallas is tier 4.
    Also, my modest proposal on how to shore up our pro-player-pathway. It's true, we don't have the number of potential players other areas do, but all that means is that we won't get the number of elite athletes other places might, esp given the tug of war with Am football, basketball, baseball and even track over those elite level people. But our catchment does mean we should expect at least one or two players each year reaching a point of being capable MLS squad players, of sold overseas, if we manage it correctly. We need to focus, entirely, on outside backs and 8s. These are players who need determination as much as elite athletic ability. Determination can be born, but it can be built. These are positions that need heavy work ethics. that's supposed to be the midwest thing, isn't it?
    These are positions that are always in demand.
    Now, obviously, there will be other position players in an academy, but, going by the numbers, none of our 9s will ever be good enough to make an impact on MLS rosters . Same goes for our potential for 10s.
    So, the academy needs to invest in people who really know what they're doing in developing those positions. The talented kids who arrive thinking they're star 9s, 10s, 7s, must quickly be shifted to outside back or 8.
    i suppose a generational talent might come through the system, and we will think, he actually can be a 7 or a 9. Kind of like Alphonso Davies, who is, uhm, an outside back now.
    This, to me, is the disadvantage of our region. We will not have a conveyor belt full of Pepi, the Jesus and, well, short conveyor belt.
    But we really can have a conveyor belt of players at a Seth Sinovic level, which is pretty handy in building a roster.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically it means we're not interested in signing them, so into the draft they go. The requirement that players had to continue to train with the club to keep their HGP eligibility is no longer around so that's not the reason.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, in this draft, given PVs comments, we're probably grabbing a striker, right? We want a CB, but we'd prefer a starting level one. that is not to be found at the 8th pick, unless we're super lucky. however, a young striker to backup Agada and Pulido, so play with SKC2, that would seem quite doable. the MLS site top five up top:
    1. Stephen Afrifa, Florida International
    2. Ilijah Paul, Washington (GA)
    3. Patrick Agyemang, Rhode Island
    4. MD Myers, Rutgers
    5. Duncan McGuire, Creighton
    If we decide to go with a CB, i would think it will because the top prospects fell further than thought, so (keeping in mind they have to be US natural or green card holders) I could see us grab the first or third rated CBs, according to MLS.
    1. Daniel Munie, Indiana or
    2. (overall 3 but 2 for us) Joey Akpunonu, Bowling Green (GA).
    According to Doyle's projection of needs (assume to be wildly off base): five of the clubs ahead of us will grab attackers, though may are looking for wings. still, if these are the top players, the attackers might all be gone. two are looking for outside backs, where we are set, and Atlanta is looking for best available player.
    So, you know, who knows

Inca Roads repped this.
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another rumor.

mschofield and IASocFan repped this.
  5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently this is an SKCII signing.

mschofield repped this.
  6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's makes sense. American, young, pretty untested, cheap.

mschofield repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Transfermarkt notes that in his very limited time this year, he's also been a center mid, so maybe also versatile?

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The MLS mock superdraft prediction has SKC picking Daniel Munie, who Doyle ranked as the top CB. Apparently he grew up in St Louis and he appears to be right footed.
    I know, the actual draft is in a couple hours, and it is highly unlikely a draft pick actually plays for SKC this season. I would think if we do pick him, we're still pursuing a starting caliber CB

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Doyle that ranked him as the top CB, it's Travis Clark who works for Top Drawer Soccer.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/news/2023-mls-superdraft-top-prospects-by-position

mschofield repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mschofield repped this.
  12. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draft isn’t going anywhere, and the MLSPA is definitely not going to give ‘free agency’ to the best college players while some of the players they represent don’t have it.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Also they selected another guy in the second round? CB out of Maryland.

And I know it's hardly what excites the players, but the college to MLS reserves pipeline is actually a solid idea to me. Hoping we can get a win from this draft, mostly because I'm tired of the "Vermes used to be so good at the draft, what happened?" narrative that's cropped up a lot lately.

mschofield repped this.
  15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unless, as the blue testament wondered recently, someone on the SKC roster got a green card that has not yet been announced, Afrifa has no place but SKC2, right?
    Canadiacs count as foreigners on US rosters, though there is leeway for US players on Canadian rosters, IIRCC.
    Also, Doyle's comment, "reminds a bit of Agada" seems to underestimate the fact that, right now, we have an actual Agada, and he's only 23.
    God, I really, really hope this doesn't mean that SKC is soon gonna cash out on Agada. Transfermarkt lists his purchase price as $350,000 and his current value at $2.5m, meaning he might sell this winter for $5m. The better business, IMO, is to resign him to a better deal and sell him at 26 for $10m.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd really love to see the CB make it with SKC2. He probably won't.

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm pretty sure Canadians count as domestic for US-based teams these days. Unless I'm way off my gourd, they found a way to make that work a few years ago.

Not only would Sporting be idiots to sell Agada now, anyone buying him for an exciting price would be idiots as well. He's hardly played any games at all...

Bigger picture, Vermes is not looking to replace his shock star with some random draft kid.

dgb09 and mschofield repped this.
  18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we found a diamond in the later rounds, but I doubt it Rindov is a definitely an SKCII signing.

If you wanna know how much Vermes cared about the draft, look at the SKC tweet of the "war room" for the draft and try to spot Vermes. Or look at who did the post draft media conference (hint it wasn't Vermes).

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Players that play in certain academies in Canada can now count as domestic players in MLS (not all Canadians count as domestic). Team was asked about that and confirmed that Afrifa would count as a domestic player.

mschofield and Inca Roads repped this.
  20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really hope you're right.The other side of this: First, folks who run football clubs are often idiots. Also, Agada's wages are low enough compared to even one season's output that his agent might be shopping him like crazy. There are a lot of agents who turn their players sour in this sort of situaiton. However, what we saw of Agada says not just a great striker, but great guy, great team member, etc, so my worry is, I hope, paranoia

21. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really getting our money's worth from that Pulido deal.....

upload_2022-12-22_10-45-21.png

IASocFan and mschofield repped this.
  22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right, I wouldn't say it's impossible or anything, just that I don't think our draft pick offers us even the slightest hint of a clue. Particularly because, all else aside, Vermes stated he was actively hunting for a third striker on his depth chart already.

I do wonder about his patience and his agent's patience. Though Pulido's deal only runs through this year, so it's entirely possible if he continues to perform like this, he's got some real leverage.

mschofield repped this.
  23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Reddit rumor that we were the closest team to signing Ronaldo this off-season?

Bullet dodged if so, in so many ways.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Reddit, Twellman and Bogart both saying SKC was in the lead and decently close.

25. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PV would have eventually benched him for Shelton. Not enough defensive effort.

xamers, kcfooty and IASocFan repped this.