Rumor: 2022-23 Offseason MLS Season Transfer News and Rumours

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Oct 23, 2022.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official now:

2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Or they just make the assumption that since he is coming from a league they've heard of that he must be better than anyone else. I mean, I'm watching the exact opposite happen online with Gideon Zelalem possibly joining Boavista and Benji Michel joining Arouca. The assumption is that they will never play or be bad because it is the Portuguese league. Of course, the only thing any of them know about that league are the top 3 or 4 teams (since it is debatable that some of them know who Braga is, it may just be 3).

Boavista's starting central midfielders are a 29 year old Colombian that saw the field once for Pachuca when he was on loan there and whose only success outside Boavista in the last 5 years was in the Ecuadorian league and a guy from Braga's B team that only saw some success in the Bulgarian top flight. The rest are players that I don't think have done anything of note in their career. Of course, none of them realize that Boavista's record sale happened this offseason when they sold Alberth Elis for 6 million. Their record departure is a former MLS player. So, yeah, I think Zelalem can actually get playing time there and not look that out of place on that team.

Michel is going to a team whose wingers are a Brazilian from a regional division team that never played in Serie A or B, a 33 year old Portuguese player who was playing in Saudi Arabia (and had a couple years in Portugal before that after being in Bulgaria for several years), and a 27 year old Congolese player that has basically been there his whole career with an unsuccessful loan in Kazakhstan. He was competing for time last year with a Dutch player that came from starting in the Eredivisie (and got sold back and is basically starting there), a Colombian on loan from Palmerias (who I'm not sure will even stick around this year), and a 22 year old Uruguayan that was at the World Cup. Which team would be harder to break into?

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids being linked with Stade de Reims and Austrian international goalkeeper Patrick Pentz. This would, presumably, be a move for the future as current Starter William Yarbrough is under contract with a team option for next season, though he will turn 34 early in this season.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yarbrough underperformed xG by almost 10 last season. This feels like a challenger rather than a succession plan.

Chesco United repped this.
  5. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Rapids sign him that means they'll trade him to Minnesota in 2025... :)

JasonMa repped this.
  6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rumor of the day is Jhon Duran moving from Chicago to Aston Villa for something in the neighborhood of $20 million.

7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Villa have announced they've reached an agreement pending a medical (normal) and personal terms. Usually you wait until you've actually got a signed contract before making the announcement. Bogert is saying he is hearing 18 million guaranteed with 4 million in add-ons plus a sell-on fee.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Crew are rumored to be acquiring former MLS striker Christian Ramirez from Aberdeen.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the trade history between Colorado and Minnesota, I had to look twice to make sure "Wolves" was referencing Wolverhampton Wanderers and not the Timberwolves... ;):D

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    So.... LAG fired the guy that courted these players and signed all these contracts, right?

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More on the Connor Ronan deal:
    1617577834779938818 is not a valid tweet id

18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you have guys like Danny Wilson and Gustavo Vallecilla in front of you, you're going to get hung out to dry a lot.

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I'm enjoying the Messi saga right now. Last month a Miami based reporter said that Messi hadn't signed anything with PSG and that Miami was confident they were presenting a solid deal. He was, of course, told he was full of sh!t or being lied to because Fabrizio Romano said it was a done deal. Well, today a Spanish-based (I believe) reporter that is fairly well known broke that Messi is closer to leaving PSG than staying, though I think with the assumption that he is going to back to Barca. This led Fabrizio to just retweet what he said last month, that Messi was staying in Paris. Meanwhile, the US based reporter just said that he has been told reliably for the past few weeks that Miami and Messi's camp have been in contact multiple times over the past month and that there are more talks scheduled for this week. He, at least, is much morew measured in his responses right now and not making declarative statements about where he is signing.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what he'll be getting paid if he's coming over as a DP.

23. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Freese and other keepers coming through the Union pipeline have sort of been screwed by Andre Blake never getting a move abroad. He is usually among the best 3 keepers in the league and he just turned 32. So that means he may have 5 or more years still being way too good for a kid in their early 20's to beat out. Freese, Romero, and Martino have all had to find another MLS team to move to in hope of minutes in the last few years.

Not sure he is your answer to replace Sean John though. Really not sure any of the keepers you have on the roster are for another few years. Best hope, I guess, is that one of them do a Brad Guzan at Chivas USA or Brad Stuver at Austin and suddenly just become a starting level keeper.

25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    We had the same "problem" with Rimando. Quite a few starting keepers sat on the bench behind him for a decade.