Review: 2022-23 Napoli Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Ciro Di Marzio, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The draw for the group stage will be on Thursday, August 25th.

We're in pot 3; We will find out all of our possible opponents on the 24th.

upload_2022-8-21_15-10-57.png

We can't be drawn alongside any other pot 3 or Italian side in the group stage.

In all likelihood, we will be in an extremely challenging group but that's the Champions League.

2. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    upload_2022-8-24_19-20-22.png

We find out who we play tomorrow.

3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ajax, Liverpool, Rangers.

Tricky group.

4. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Good shot at second.

Liverpool will be impossible

5. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it is a very easy group. If Milan, Juve and Napoli cannot qualify comfortably it means the league is really weak.

6. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It isn't easy, but I think we should qualify for the next round. Ajax is never easy and Rangers will be tricky.

7. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Ya, I don't see it that easily for Napoli. Juve and Milan should go through. Inter, well, good luck.

Euphorius Thor repped this.
  8. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Do you honestly believe what you are saying, Careca? Not so long ago, there were discussions about how PL teams had nothing on us, about how we would easily destroy an emaciated Barcelona. Liverpool showed us how these things are done, and I will not even put into words what Barcelona showed us. I can't, for it was too much. Memory, anyone?

Rangers have apparently come back to their former glory, and they will not just hand it over to anyone. We should be able to win this one, but we all know how we do, so still worried.

Lastly, Ajax, just not to follow common order. 2018/2019, I think, they almost advanced to the finals. Last year or the one before, they got out of the group stage. Now compare that with our accomplishments. Ajax has an academy not to be trifled with. They produce hungry, talented, and daring young players.

This is a tough group, I do not expect it to be easy for us, especially knowing all the weaknesses that we have been the victims of.

9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Could be anyone's group if Liverpool can't shake off their hangover.

10. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Napoli have played Liverpool 4 times in the last few years. 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss.

That said with all the money in PL and proper coaches, I think in the last couple of years the picture has changed. PL is now much stronger than anyone else.

But Ajax and Rangers are a joke. No excuses to not win all 4 games against them. Ajax have lost all their key players and their coach. All they have is a good system that players play from the youth. I won’t even discuss Rangers. Yes they will fight but the quality is lacking.

If Napoli, Milan or Juve struggle it means Serie A has become the weakest among top 5 leagues. It does not mean Ajax or Rangers are strong.

11plavih repped this.
  11. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We play with guts, we will top the group. Against Liverpool, let's go swinging.

12. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Careful...they could score 7 or 8

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Spalletti needs to look at what ten Hag did. Key is being very physical/aggressive without the ball and to play without fear, getting men forward to exploit their high line. We just can't do what Rangnick did with a suicidal high line.

If we play too conservative, we are setting up shop to lose 1-0 or 2-0 because we don't believe we can win, only to mitigate the damage. It's not like what Mourinho did to Juve. Klopp is too smart. He's not Allegri who is happy to eat the draw. Klopp will want a win and will take risks, leaving Liverpool more open at the back all game.

We have to take risks. Only way to beat them.

PS, how smart does Maldini and Boban look for standing theirground on Pioli? Rangnick would have taken Milan backwards.

tripwire repped this.
  14. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Roughly a week away from Liverpool. The Stadio Maradona will be rocking. I believe we can get all 3 points if we approach the game properly but at the same time Liverpool went to Milan twice last year (Inter + Milan) and they dominated.

I'm pretty sure they ran through Milan with a largely rotated squad.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  15. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They did. We couldn't cope with their quality and style.
    Nobody in Italy plays like that. Lol

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  16. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hate them. They represent everything I hate about the modern game. Pace and physical. They play chaos football. I hope we beat them.

17. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kopp is a great coach but I dislike his holier than thou smug attitude.

18. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    I agree with everything you have written, and I do not think it contradicts me. Maybe I went a bit over the line with Rangers, but I maintain that Ajax is a dangerous opponent; however, in very specific circumstances. One is that they will once again surprise everybody with unknown talent out of nowhere, or we will show our mentality and lose a game we should have won.

I am a bit pessimistic as I still remember only too well what Barcelona did to us, it was humiliating. They were simply a thousand billion times better at everything. And they were in trouble back then.

CarecaNapoli repped this.
  19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We made Barca look good. We played like pussies and got f*cked for it.

20. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    If we beat Liverpool, we get to call ourselves champions of Europe and England.

21. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Liverpool make me nervous

22. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I have seen a lot of Liverpool. They can't be underestimated, but RN they are struggling to hit form. Mane is a big loss and the midfield is worn down from the demands of their style and from age. Van Dijk could be saving himself for the World Cup.

We will beat them if we keep up our approach and raise our game a little more.

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Liverpool have always been this way. Klopp himself was heavily influenced and inspired by Liverpool.

The modern game has become more about athleticism. There is more emphasis to press high and capitalize on mistakes rather than to build and create chances.

But the way some of the Italian managers are playing, like Italiano, Inzaghi, and Gasperini, it's changing that. I'm a big fan of their approach.

tripwire repped this.
  24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is the style that works in European Cup competitions. For too long, Italian clubs have not gotten the memo. Scoring goals > trying not to lose. This is why despite Italian clubs still having good international talents always struggle. It doesn’t matter if you try to “manage the game tactically” if the opposing team is better physically and more courageous, they will win.

tripwire repped this.
  25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy