2022-23 MLS NEXT Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, May 5, 2022.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanted to get the ball rolling on the new season. MLS announced a couple of days ago that 8 new clubs were joining the new premier youth league for next season. The full list of the eight newly-added clubs includes:

Until the season kicks off we can use this thread to talk about players and coaches changing clubs, news and notes, etc.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-next-adds-8-new-clubs-for-2022-23-season

gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    No, this thread is for young academy kids and that thread is for the 3rd division professional league. The names are confusing but Next/Pro = MLS reserve teams and MLS Next = Developmental Academies

ussoccer97531, TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  4. zimler

zimler New Member

Jul 26, 2005

What I find most interesting with the additions are the ages. It will be interesting to see if these clubs or other clubs start getting more U15 and U17 ages, which my understanding is that they didn't expand any teams into these age groups that didn't have them before. This looks like in California in particular they are looking to identify more younger players that they feel they may be missing on the academy teams and working to get them into the system. This makes me think about how many kids are in CA compared to the Northeast.

In the announcement, they mentioned underserved markets, which I can agree with AZ and NC but California has more than double the next state FL with number of club teams. It makes sense as California is a large state with large metropolitan areas, like FL and TX, but looking at the map and seeing the Northeast is an underserved area as well. across all is less than CA and on par with FL.

kennytt and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hearing chatter of several MLS clubs running u16s teams rather than combo'ing the 06/07 classes. Anyone else hearing that? Just in regular non-MLS league?

6. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    What would be the benefit? Wouldn't it cost them since these teams are funded by the club?

7. SacFCDallas

SacFCDallas New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2022
    I know FC Dallas is creating a u16 team, as Buzz mentioned it a while back, but I haven't heard about any other MLS teams doing it.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we'll be getting "select" MLS NEXT matches starting in the 2022-23 season. Wish it were closer to "all" matches, but I realize that's probably a bridge too far. Still good stuff.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/apple/

zimler, gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Since MLS NEXT is on a different calendar than NEXT/PRO and MLS, hopefully they will be able to broadcast a decent amount of content from NEXT. GA Cup qualifying games and Winter Showcase would be an excellent place to start.

zimler, ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. zimler

zimler New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    My initial thought is that it would be the MLS Next Pro league for the U17 group and/or the U19 group. Though the U19 group doesn't have as many MLS academy teams as the U17 ages.

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I bet they focus a lot on U17s and some on U15s. With a bunch of franchises joining Next/Pro next year I suspect many MLS teams will shut down U19 programs.

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Munson leaving Solar and going to FC Dallas for next season:

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mataeo Bunbury is looking for a new club.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There is a lot of that type of thing happening. The landscape is changing a lot.

I think teams were more willing to give out contracts with the USL option. Now, they are going to give out less speculative ones. It's only going to go to the players they rate at the absolute top level IMO.

I don't know that it's a good thing. As much as you can't fault USL for kicking MLS reserve teams out of their league, I think it's going to hurt development in this country in the short-term.

Brotheryoungbuck and Usa soccer11 repped this.
  15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another pick-up for FC Dallas:

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The third is happening. I’ve mentioned him before months back.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Buzz tweeted about the third, so I’ll mention it now. Chris Salazar. I like Salazar more than Swann, although I could see how it’s close. I think Salazar has a better projection to the pro game in his skillset. Munson is the best of the three. He’s the one I think could end up FC Dallas first team quality.

There are a bunch of other moves I’ve heard around the country that are worth mentioning, but I would like to give these kids the chance to announce it themselves. Still trying to figure out how soon is too soon. May have reached the point though where the ones that wanted to announce it have already done so.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    From the US WOMEN'S U20 World Cup Roster:

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...mes-roster-for-2022-fifa-u20-womens-world-cup

That's pretty impressive. Total Futbol finished sixth in the SW division -- which is basically all non-MLS clubs.

But still. Their U20 squad is also bringing 5! players eligible for the next U20 World Cup in 2024.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched her play a game during the 2020-21 season for that team. I had no clue beforehand that she was a girl. I thought she looked like one, but didn't know she played for them. I noted that the player with her jersey number was a fringe level prospect. When I then saw after the fact that she was a girl, I was incredibly impressed. Being able to play with the boys at that high of a level and stand out is hard to believe. FC Dallas U-15's beat the US Women's National Team a number of years back easily, which shows the physiological advantage that exists for males over females in contact sports. I know very little about the best women's soccer prospects in the world (or this country), but I suspect she's probably a world prodigy.

21. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    She's got a sister too that's in and around the USWNT program... Alyssa and Giselle. They train in SoCal with Michael Holzer. He'll post a lot about them.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cfw9uIiAPpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

gogorath, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Gisele was on the U17 USYNT this year and played with TFA's U17 team in MLS Next this year (I think Alyssa may have played with the U-19 team this year). Gisele and Alyssa have both been playing with the boys on TFA's teams for the past five years I believe.

Alyssa is also one of the top sprinters in California, recording the 2d fastest 100m time in California (or at least her HS' division) this past spring while only attending occasional track practices because of soccer conflicts.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/high...-runs-second-fastest-100-meters-in-california

There's a younger sister Zoe who is up-and-coming in soccer too.

derek750, Boysinblue, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had the pleasure of watching her twice in person. Once against Philly u17’s, once against another u17 team in December. She’s a fantastic player; has pace, skill, deception, passing/crossing, and can finish. She’s most importantly a warrior, she was winning duals and battling seriously athletic players off the ball, including Nelson Pierre who she sat on his ass

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    More importantly where are they going. Seemed Chicago was doing a good job developing based on the few times watching their youth teams. Don't some level of territory rules still apply which would make MLS teams out of the question.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true, Juan Villa who played up as an 08 full time with the 07’s and occasionally the 06’s has moved to RSL