2022-23 MLS NEXT Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, May 5, 2022.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #51 SUDano, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    I would hope it wasn't 100% understanding and more like 57%.
    Do voice coaches want to keep their top students and don't encourage them from going to Broadway. Do Piano virtuosos get hidden in the basement by old ladies making sure they can't go to Julliard? Does it happen in basketball AAU or hockey.
    I'll be honest I'm trying to understand your point in real life and I think I get it intellectually but in all reality I find it quite obviously small and selfish. I really don't get it in everyday life where the role of a coach or rather teacher is to develop a player or human being and helping and violently encouraging that growing spirit to get to that next level in life and sport. That's the true excitement and joy in life for any coach or mentor.
    PS: What's better for an adult coach to say at the pearly gates? I won alot of games as a soccer coach but had to keep players on my team or I helped develop the skill and passion in many children and played a critical role for them to reach their dreams and succeed in life.

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The game is in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. Will they be allowing for replays of the game? The Next Pro games are tough to watch without replays, but they are usually on weekends and/or at night. If they cared about anyone watching this, let's hope there are replays available. I don't think many will be tuning in.

SCSAutism, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Assuming that this is on All-Star weekend and not a MLS Next Pro regular season game with camera on a pole treatment this should have normal basic camera angles and coverage. Thinking more like the online MLS Next Fest Playoffs in Frisco and not like MLS Next Pro Flag Pole from MCC for Rochester.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full game is still on twitter
    https://twitter.com/i/events/1555330204930756608

SUDano and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched the game. I'll try to run down most of what I can, but I might be brief for some players because there's 42 players to mention.

East: I thought both of the East goalies showed well. Stanislav Lapkes ('06) is a player that is starting to emerge onto the radar the last few months IMO. I've liked his game the last few times I've seen. Pretty well-rounded goalie. He's somewhere in the top 10 group of '06 goalies, and I'm leaning towards he's part of the top 5 group. Andrew Rick ('06) also was good. Rick is not the same level of prospect. He lacks the height needed to be a top prospect, but he's pretty reliable and probably had the most to do of the goalies. Israel Boatwright ('05) at RB in the first half didn't have the best game. Diego Rossi ('05) at RB in the second half was better. Pretty good performance from him. He was good in all facets.

Noah Cobb ('05) was pretty good for the East. He was one of their better players. He made a lot of nice defensive plays, and had a few good passes. Daniel Krueger ('06) had a pretty boring game. Not bad, but little to do. David Garcia ('04) played LB. I don't know his game that well. I don't think he's a LB. Wasn't bad, but didn't stand out. Malachi Grant ('06) at LB for the East in the first half was pretty good. He got forward a few times, which I think is his strength, but he was better defensively in this game than I've seen previously. If he can combine his offensive ability with this level of defensive ability, he'll do well. He was also the best of the U-16 or U-19 level players for this all-star game. There were no U-15's. It was almost entirely the U-17's (from last season) that were the main standouts, which shouldn't come as a surprise. If you get to U-19 and are playing, it's probably not a good thing. Few clubs have U-16 teams.

Gio De Libera ('05) had a pretty boring game in the first half as the #6. Alejandro Granados Torres ('06) played the #6 position in the second half. Watch out for this kid. I've been really impressed with him in 2022. What I'm seeing from him reminds me a little of Jack McGlynn, and McGlynn broke out at right around the same age as Granados for what I think are very similar reasons (physical developments). Granados was excellent in building the ball through midfield and contributing to some attacks. He also defended well. I think he's more of a natural #6 than McGlynn. He can win the ball and is more athletic. Brian Romero ('06) had a few nice moments, but not his best performance. Esmir Bajraktarevic ('05) was not always effective, but his quality stood out. He was pretty close to pulling off some great sequences, but a lot barely missed. Maybe the most naturally talented player in this game. Very involved also.

Bento Estrela ('06) had a quietly very effective game. He helped set up the winning goal. He made nice passes and runs with the ball through midfield, and also won the ball. Ben Cremaschi ('05) was the best player on the pitch, and maybe by far. He also played less minutes than almost everyone else. Really dominant display from him. His stock goes up in my estimation each time I see him play. Box to box midfielder that does absolutely everything well. Plays with so much energy. Also very physical. He drew a penalty, and then scored the tying goal. Made a lot of defensive plays, had some nice passes, and showed creativity in progressing the ball through midfield. I think he's getting close to that territory where you can throw him into the mix of the many players who have an argument for being the best '05 in the country.

Favian Loyola ('05) was average in the first half (not bad), but was better in the second half. There was a 10-15 minute stretch where he took over. I think he played longer than anyone else and in an all-star game that helps get yourself noticed, but he was pretty good. Jack Panayotou ('04) had a few nice moments, more towards the latter part of the second half, including an assist on the winning goal. He struggled early in the first half playing LW. He's not a LW. Needs to play as a #10 or on the right side. He switched over there at the end of the game, and had more success. He was probably the best of the U-19 players in this game. Collin Griffith ('04) struggled, as did Nacho Alem ('06). Kobi Thomas ('05) played the least of any player on the field. Only a few touches. Marcos Zambrano ('05) showed quality when he did get involved and scored a nice goal off a Panayotou. Not too many touches though.

West: Emmanuel Ochoa ('05) was pretty good. Had one nice saves. Aside from that, did his job and looked the part. Adam Beaudry ('06) didn't play poorly, but I don't think he stood out as the goalie in the second half for this team. Carlos Leatherman ('04) wasn't bad at RB. Had a few nice moments, and a few uneven ones. Malachi Molina ('05) struggled. Fell asleep with his positioning on the PK that Cremaschi drew, and didn't add much of note. Drew Murray ('05) had some nice moments, but also some uneven ones. Probably more good than bad, but closer to an average performance than anything. Stuart Hawkins ('06) was good. I struggle assessing him. He's very consistent and I find him solid, but the tools almost all look very average (not bad). Does he have high upside? I'm not sure either way, but his performance level for his age is pretty good.

Gershon Henry ('06) was pretty good. His usual type of performance. Defended well with his mobility and reading of the game. Lacks a little in size and only an average passer. Fritz Volmar ('05) also played well at CB. He has better tools than Henry, had a few extra errors, but plays a little more exciting of a game. Alejandro Carrillo ('05) was subbed on in the second half to play in a back 3. He had a few nice moments. I'm glad he's getting recognition as the only Nashville player called into this team. He had a pretty good season IMO. He did get beat on the first goal, but I wouldn't say he was mostly to blame for it either. Anthony Gonzalez ('05) at LB had a pretty good game. Thought he defended well and got forward with some effectiveness also. He's an underrated player in that really talented Austin U-17 group from this season.

Edgar Bazan ('06) had a good performance. He was able to win some tackles as a #6 and was good in the build up also. I've been very unsure about his game in the past because he's a small #6 and I think he's not the quickest. This was probably the best I've seen him play. Keith Chavarria ('05) had some nice plays, but was average. He was subbed in as a RW and he's a CM, so thats not completely fair to him, but he's a tough player and was able to improvise. He moved later on to a more natural position. Bryan Moyado ('05) was very good as a #6. One of the better performers in this game. Won the ball back extremely well. Looks to have gotten notably stronger. Playing more forward. I'm a fan of his game, and he's looked better in this game than the last time I saw him play last season. Ian Shaul ('06) had a few nice moments, but also some uneven moments. Cruz Medina ('06) scored a goal (heavily deflected shot), but was very quiet otherwise.

I didn't think Marcus Lee ('06), Roka Tsunehara ('06), Bryce Jamison ('06), Chris Aquino ('06), or Kevin Rodriguez ('04) had good performances. Andre Gitau ('06) was active for a stretch of 10-15 minutes. He was a little better than some of the other West attackers that struggled due to being more active and trying to get involved in the game, but it wasn't his most effective performance. Alex Alcala ('05) had some nice moments, but I would've liked to see more involvement.

7. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
  8. Usa soccer11

Usa soccer11 Member

Man city
    Brazil
    Dec 29, 2020
    Anyone hearing any rumors about mls showcases I've heard a rumor about Florida in December???

9. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    I asked Silverlakes and they have nothing scheduled for November. I’ve also heard Coachella (where they hosted MLS preseason games).

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This guy is really good. Was with Austin FC last season and is moving to San Antonio FC this season. I think that’s a big loss for Austin FC.

butters59 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As I do at the start of every season, I am asking for suggestions of players to watch for at U-15, U-16, or U-17 level that might not be well known yet. Can be players not at MLS academies or could be unheralded players at MLS academies.

Please only serious suggestions of players with pro potential. I take any responses I get seriously, and it’s time consuming to have to sit through attempting to assess an unserious suggestion.

Almost all the suggestions I’ve gotten over the years have been helpful and some have turned into prominent players in their age group, so I ask again this year. You can respond here or suggest via a PM. I don’t know all the good players out there, so I appreciate any help those that might know some teams or regions better than me can provide.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he has pro potential—and he plays for a USLC academy—but it looks like he just got a U-15 YNT call-up: Rogelio Esparza Garcia. Could be worth tracking.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. This may be the other shoe dropping on the Chicago Fire academy setup.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they've had more quality players leave than any other big academy this offseason. I don't think it's all a coincidence.

There's another academy player I think is leaving and trialing with a UCL team, but we'll have to see what happens there. I'm not yet sure, but this is about 6 quality prospects that have left the academy during the offseason.

RBNY is the other club that has also seen a bunch leave this offseason, but I think those are all very explainable situations, and more individual in nature. I think the Chicago Fire come more from the same nexus. If you look at the clubs a lot of them are going, it's clubs that tend to poach a lot of players that are looking to leave their current environment.

At the same time, they still have a lot of good players in that academy. It's probably the best academy in the Midwest, and I don't think any of the others are too close to competing with them yet. How could they? It's a huge obstacle for these other clubs to overcome the club in the biggest metro area in the Midwest, with a large Mexican immigrant population, a large Polish immigrant population, and generally a very large immigrant population.

If you look at the US U-15 call ups, I think there were 5 players called in who were at Chicago Fire last season or will be this season, including 3 at the club this season, so it's still a club that has talent in the academy. They just have to figure out how to manage things better.

TheFalseNine and willydonc repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Peretz48 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #70 ussoccer97531, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    I was watching one of RSL U-15's games from their preseason tour in Germany.

If Luca Moisa isn't the best '08, this is going to be an incredible top end of the '08 age group. I think he's not. I still think Carrizo and Guerra are better prospects than him for now, but this kid would be the best prospect in almost any other age group IMO.

He's just that good. It's as if there were two of him in this game they played against Augsburg, and you could see he was that much more talented than every player on the field. This'll be one of the best individual performances I'll see all season at the academy level, and this is only the very beginning of the season.

I don't even know who to compare him to. I think I said 10 months ago that he's like a younger Jude Wellings. At the time Moisa was not playing at anywhere near this level and I thought that becoming Wellings was an absolute best case scenario a year or two from then. He's pretty quickly replicated Wellings caliber of a prospect (or very close to it) in not even a year. The leap he made in the Spring was excellent. It's very easy to try to make that comparison because of their positions, club, and that they physically look similar, what they provide to a team, but the details in their games are different. He's more of an Alejandro Alvarado/Nelson Hernandez than Wellings, yet probably better than both Alvarado/Hernandez. I'm not sure either that those are exact comparisons.

Really exciting player. He still makes some mistakes, but he can dominate games like few high-end prospects do. He was probably the best player for RSL's U-15's towards the last few months of last season playing up an age group, so the fact that they've started him in his own age group is going to end up being a nightmare for these kids that have to go against him. It's not fair to them.

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game on their YouTube channel or anything?

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 David Kerr, Aug 27, 2022
    I really like Jude Wellings and think he’s one of our better 2006 midfielders, but I think Luca Moisa is a new and improved version of Jude. Luca’s probably the best 8 in the 2008 pool. Linkon Ream is a surprising conversion to left back after being a winger all last year, he’s a definite YNT level 2009

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #74 ussoccer97531, Aug 27, 2022
    I think I agree, but I believe it's close. Moisa is flashy, while Wellings ability is more subtle.

Moisa is the more talented of the two technically, he's more creative, plays riskier, he's quicker, but Wellings is taller, more powerful, has better fundamentals, and makes less mistakes.

In a perfect world, Moisa ends up better because there's more natural talent, but on the other hand Wellings is one of those players that I think projects really well to higher levels.

SoCalRedDevil, Peretz48 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

gogorath repped this.