2022/23 Laws of the Game

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Feb 4, 2022.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Does anybody else (i.e. their States) implement new Laws at the next calendar year, after the recert season has concluded?

upload_2022-2-4_11-45-26.png

Here in PA West our seasons comprise a fall session (Sep-Nov) and a spring session (Apr-Jun). So in effect our seasons straddle the date we roll out the Laws.

3. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    When I was an active ref, Michigan always implemented Law changes for the spring season, effectively at least 6 months late. Our recert clinics were held over the winter, so the changes could be explained in a clinic before they were applied on the field. That may still be the case, but I retired 7 years ago so I'm not certain.

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know in previous seasons MLS has instituted the law changes, but I think with them starting in February this season due to the WC it won't be an option. But I think the changes are going to be pretty small outside of some of the semi-automated VAR stuff which MLS won't use.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Indeed.

7. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Gotta make sure the referee performs the coin toss.

8. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Because you wouldn't want it to look like American football where some person being honored gets to toss the coin.

9. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Some refs let the visiting captain toss it. IFAB wants that shitake to stop!

10. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring
    opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence
    occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area).

Italics added to "clarify" that the keeper can't be sent off in this instance.

Since the offense is handball, and the keeper in the PA by definition can't commit a handball offense, then clarifying that the player sent off for handball can't be the keeper in his PA seems...like IFAB is getting paid by the word...

11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it have to do with the second touch provision on a free kick or goal kick?

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is still in there.

If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

fairplayforlife repped this.
  13. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    #13 Pittsburgh Ref, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Since this "clarification" in Law 12 specifies the GK can't be penalized for [stuff] in their penalty area, I take it to refer only putting hand to ball in a manner not subject to sanction: to wit, neither a restart infraction nor an unallowable instance of grabbing the ball (throw-in, pass-back).

Since that ball-grabbing action is not sanctionable (but is sanctioned, LOL), I'm still stuck with---it can't be handling. Or handball. Also, even a restart infraction by hand, or an unallowable grab, would still be a non-handling infraction...right? Keeper can only handle outside the PA.

14. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    I've tried to remember it like this during the heat of a game:

- if the GK commits an offense in the PA by touching with hands/arms that would not be an infraction had (s)he touched it with another body part (foot, head) then no misconduct for the GK handling offense in the PA. ie. pick up teammate's TI, pass-back, handling ball after a save & release into play in the PA.
    - if the GK commits an infraction in the PA that would also be an offense had (s)he touched it with another body part (foot, head) then potential misconduct does apply because the infraction is for touching the ball regardless of body part used (not a specific handling offense). ie. second touch after a squibbed goal kick that is also DOGSO.

Does that sound correct?

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yes. Essentially they made that clarification a year or two ago, so I have no idea why they thought it was necessary to add this, too. The change overturned prior (conceptually absurdly) guidance that even a second touch offense by the GK with the hand could not be a caution or send off because it was done with the hand.

MJ91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Clarification: The goalkeeper LITERALLY DOING HIS JOB by handling a ball in the PA to stop a goal scoring opportunity is not an offense.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your annual reminder to change the settings in your IFAB LOTG app to 22/23.

frankieboylampard and AlextheRef repped this.
  19. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a necessary clarification. We all knew a second touch by itself could be perceivable to happen with a SPA or Dogso situation.

But allowing a loophole that the keeper gets a free pass if they use their hands seems to be something plenty of player and referees would try to shoe horn into reality.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    You missed my point (from months ago!) entirely—this had already been clarified and that loophole removed.

21. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I did. I didn’t remember there ever having been a clarification that closed the loophole until the section under handling is was put in writing.

22. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    The ball is out of play when:
    • it touches a match official, remains on the field of play and:
      • a team starts a promising attack or

• the ball goes directly into the goal or

• the team in possession of the ball changes
    In all these cases, play is restarted with a dropped ball.

I would add "the referee becomes incapacitated." :D

U12B Saturday. The keeper is about to clear the ball, pointing to a teammate he was kicking the ball to. I glanced at that player who was near the parents' touchline, and when I looked back toward the keeper, the ball was already headed my way. I was just past the penalty arc. Before I could move, it hit me square in the nose and mouth. I briefly saw stars. I just quickly blew the whistle, stopped one of my watches, and gathered myself. The keeper apologized, an opponent asked, jokingly, if that was an automatic card, and the spectators heckled me. A referee friend said I have to buy the round of beer, and he wasn't even working the game!

Yep, I am not as nimble as I used to be.

IASocFan repped this.
  23. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Typical Spectators.

Your ref buddy only gets paid out with beer if s/he was on the crew. I don't make the rules.

IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m guessing the referee in question was only looking for a way to get free beer. Which I believe is always one of the common goals in life. :D

roby, IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.
  25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 code1390, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    IFAB released an article/clarification on deliberate vs deflection with offside.

https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified/

They also link to a bunch of video clips on the FIFA site. Example 4 from the Euros was pretty surprising to me. Also #7 from the 2018 World Cup which I know caused quite a debate. Looking through these it feels like FIFA is going much more towards giving the defender the benefit of the doubt vs what we've seen in the last decade, especially from UEFA videos.

https://red.fifa.com/play/collectio...liberateplayanddeflection?cId=16&itemId=12995