2022-23 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Collegewhispers, May 18, 2022.

1. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Shedding light on the conversation above, MVSU, might be the most un-desirable D1 position in the country. Isolated, no club soccer within an hour for a coach to make more money. The position only pays $38,000 a year. Stipend part time assistant is all. And scholarships, only have 4-5 total to offer. Granted the University is affordable, $16,000 a year total, hard to recruit there. HBCU's are generally funded about 1/3rd as much as PWI's, so to recruit on no budget, use gear 4-6 years in a row, have poor facilities usually, its hard to nab 5 star players. If you do land some, most will transfer out after a year or two once they've made all conference to bigger schools. Has its challenges. MVSU tried hunting for applicants, most ran the other way when heard the salary and scholarships. So getting a very young inexperienced coach who will work for next to nothing, probably was one of their only options. I know a JC coach who declined it as he was making double that at his JC.

Question about Craig R. being removed, he says he is good to go and being retained. So if truthful and I haven't heard otherwise, taking his word for it.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is their fourth coach in seven years, over which they have been in a pretty steady decline per the RPI, Massey, and Balanced RPI rankings. They are just next to the very bottom of the barrel in the rankings. Perhaps an AD saying we cannot do worse, why not give her a try.

SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    Alabama A&M (12/2)
    Indiana State (12/2)
    UAB (12/7)
    Davidson (12/15)
    Eastern Illinois (12/16)
    Northwestern State (1/4)
    Alcorn State (1/10)

FILLED:
    Delaware - Kelly Lawrence (Penn State assistant; 10/24-11/14)
    Tulsa - Jim Rhein (Tulsa interim for 2 years!)
    Nevada - Vanessa Valentine (Cal assistant;11/7-11/22)
    South Carolina State - Liz-Amanda Brown (interim; 9/24-12/6)
    Chicago State - Aulani Fernandez (interim; 7/1-12/6)
    Cincinnati - Erica Demers (UAB head; 11/14-12/7)
    Northern Arizona - Alan Berrios (NAU associate head; 10/7 - admin leave; 11/18-12/7)
    UTEP - Gibbs Keeton (Texas Tech associate head; 11/1-12/7)
    Jacksonville State - Sean Fraser (Louisiana Monroe head; 10/24-12/7)
    UMBC - Rick Stainton (Georgetown assistant; 10/17-12/14)
    Richmond - Adam Denton (Davidson head; 10/27-12/15)
    Dartmouth - Taylor Schram (Boston College assistant; 11/6-12/15)
    Toledo - Mark Batman (Ohio Northern head - 10/28-12/19)
    Coastal Carolina - Jo Chubb (Arizona State assistant; 10/28-12/20)
    Incarnate Word - Jake Plant (Eastern Illinois head; 8/1-12/20)
    Abilene Christian - Stephen Salas (Hardin-Simmons associate head; 10/31-12/20)
    Belmont - Kelsey Fenix (Trevecca Nazarene head; 11/11-12/22)
    Troy - Stuart Gore (Northwestern State head; 10/31-1/4)
    St. Bonaventure - Donny George (Niagara assistant; 11/1-1/5)
    Louisiana Monroe - Will Roberts (ULM Assistant, 11/22- 1/12)
    MVSU - Kayleigh Lambrechts (John Melvin head; 12/15-1-13)
    Marist - Nicole Pacapelli (Binghamton assistant; 12/2-1/17)

UAB should be announcing on Wednesday.

Fitballer repped this.
  4. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Lisa Mann named head coach at UAB. I think that's a pretty good hire. Had a lot of success at WV State. Happy for her to get her chance at the next level

SpeakeroftheHouse and Fitballer repped this.
  5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Have always said I like to see good hard working coaches moving up like this. She did a lot at WV St with very little frankly. That school is on some "schools to avoid" kinds of lists out there.
    It is a risk for her to be honest. Doubled her salary easily but its a big jump to a CUSA team that won 9 games and had some good results last year. I hope they gave her a good contract and have some patience.

https://uabsports.com/news/2023/1/18/womens-soccer-lisa-mann-named-uab-womens-soccer-head-coach

6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    Alabama A&M (12/2)
    Indiana State (12/2)
    Davidson (12/15)
    Eastern Illinois (12/16)
    Northwestern State (1/4)
    Alcorn State (1/10)

FILLED:
    Delaware - Kelly Lawrence (Penn State assistant; 10/24-11/14)
    Tulsa - Jim Rhein (Tulsa interim for 2 years!)
    Nevada - Vanessa Valentine (Cal assistant;11/7-11/22)
    South Carolina State - Liz-Amanda Brown (interim; 9/24-12/6)
    Chicago State - Aulani Fernandez (interim; 7/1-12/6)
    Cincinnati - Erica Demers (UAB head; 11/14-12/7)
    Northern Arizona - Alan Berrios (NAU associate head; 10/7 - admin leave; 11/18-12/7)
    UTEP - Gibbs Keeton (Texas Tech associate head; 11/1-12/7)
    Jacksonville State - Sean Fraser (Louisiana Monroe head; 10/24-12/7)
    UMBC - Rick Stainton (Georgetown assistant; 10/17-12/14)
    Richmond - Adam Denton (Davidson head; 10/27-12/15)
    Dartmouth - Taylor Schram (Boston College assistant; 11/6-12/15)
    Toledo - Mark Batman (Ohio Northern head - 10/28-12/19)
    Coastal Carolina - Jo Chubb (Arizona State assistant; 10/28-12/20)
    Incarnate Word - Jake Plant (Eastern Illinois head; 8/1-12/20)
    Abilene Christian - Stephen Salas (Hardin-Simmons associate head; 10/31-12/20)
    Belmont - Kelsey Fenix (Trevecca Nazarene head; 11/11-12/22)
    Troy - Stuart Gore (Northwestern State head; 10/31-1/4)
    St. Bonaventure - Donny George (Niagara assistant; 11/1-1/5)
    Louisiana Monroe - Will Roberts (ULM Assistant, 11/22- 1/12)
    MVSU - Kayleigh Lambrechts (John Melvin head; 12/15-1-13)
    Marist - Nicole Pacapelli (Binghamton assistant; 12/2-1/17)
    UAB - Lisa Mann (West Virginia State head; 12/7-1/18)

Fitballer repped this.
  7. LimestoneKid

LimestoneKid Member

Edmonton Drillers
    Canada
    Dec 22, 2022
  8. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point why wouldn’t you reach out to the either of the McCaslins? They’re (kinda) local now and they built Ferris State to a perennial winner and probably was why Indy righted the ship quickly. With their results at Ferris you know they can do it with very tight budgets. Seems crazy not to reach out IMO

NewbieSoccerMom repped this.
  9. MrIPO

MrIPO Member

Mar 18, 2022
    The Uindy turnaround started 2018-ish (McCaslins started in 2019) with players recruited from the West Coast when they were mostly just IN, IL, OH and suspect internationals before that. Their All-American is a juco transfer from SoCal. Interesting to see such a sharp nosedive in 2022 after most of those players graduated and/or moved on. Has to be asked: how much stock are we putting in good or bad COVID seasons?

Point well taken though. If you hire one, you get both and what they did at Ferris was impressive.

10. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fwiw -
    2018 uindy didn't make the GLVC tournament
    2019, 2021 national tournament berths 2020 no tournament.
    2022 Stacey stepped aside to stay at home with their kids. 7 seed in GLVC tournament.

Secret sauce is Stacey if you ask me...

11. MrIPO

MrIPO Member

Mar 18, 2022
    This seems like a great example of how more than one thing can be true at the same time. Obviously, it helps having West Coast players in the Midwest. Obviously, it helps having a quality assistant coach who can cover for a subpar head coach. Put the two together and you can make magic. All I said was A happened before B, which is a fact. One could subjectively argue B had more impact than A.. but it could also be subjectively argued that this team was built to be great, no matter who was coaching, as we've seen and debated about other teams.

All we know for certain is this: Left to her own devices, Cox wins about 5-6 games per year. Give her decent assistants (2017*-2021) and Uindy shows up on the national stage.

*2017 included for really interesting stats, GLVC tourney, etc. I'm sure it's just coincidence they get an assistant from CA and suddenly a bunch of West Coasters start showing up. Give the McCaslins those players and the results are obvious.

Sledhead and USsoccerguy repped this.
  12. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Any other hot seat surprises this spring? Final spots filled soon. Always fun seeing where people are moving to.

13. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Probably the least exciting off season in years. No major jobs opened. That’s probably a good thing.

14. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    ISU is supposedly starting on campus interviews this week or next after what sounded like a pretty high number of applicants.

15. supercell

supercell New Member

Aug 19, 2021
    If you're an AD, where do you draw the line in terms of minimum years of experience for a head coaching position?

16. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    What experience do you mean? Experience doing what role? Playing, asst, head coach, what levels?

That is actually a good but kindof hilarious question right now since the D1 National Title was just won by a coach with Zero years of college head coaching experience! If anyone wants to argue that first year head coaches winning titles is going to be a trend now, then I have a bridge to sell you!

Like many answers, the reality is - it depends. Mainly on the level of the school, success of the program, attractiveness of the position (salary/budget/quality of life) and how all these affect the applicant pool.

What I have seen over the years (at least in D1) is a bias toward a kind of pedigree, or experience at a specific level, vs actual head coach experience. That is, an assistant coach in the same conference, or in the same region, getting a HC job over a successful head coach from a lower level. I think AD's tend to value experience with what they perceive as 'our level' athlete, vs actual head coach experience. Been discussed here over the years.

Sometimes the bias is perceptions of academic quality as well as athletic. An Ivy AD is not usually hiring a HC from a regional state school over an Ivy assistant coach that has been recruiting Ivy kids for a few years (that may have an Ivy degree). This happens with AD's and admins as well. Experience has more value with "our kind" of student and athlete (and family and donor). That makes some sense but has it's risks as well.

Good head coaches had to start somewhere and someone along the line gave that coach their first chance at being a head coach! Some ADs are more courageous than others for sure and unfortunately, that is hard to predict. Looking at their past or recent hires is the only way to tell really.

Fitballer, First Time Finish and MrIPO repped this.
  17. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Does anyone know what happened at Alcorn State? Had their best season in many years, with almost zero resources, and fired the head coach.

18. supercell

supercell New Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Thanks for the insight. I was mostly referring to experience as a college assistant, or as perhaps a head coach at a lower level applying for a D1 head coaching job. I am assuming that youth coaching experience is helpful but most AD's don't value that nearly as much as college experience. And college playing time, while generally required, counts less.

UCLA was one of the anecdotes that led to this question. When she was hired as head coach, she had only 6 seasons as an assistant with some other experience as an ECNL coach. I would have thought those to be pretty light qualifications normally. But as you note, perhaps the AD weighted her experience at the same level that was more important. There is obviously more at play in the hiring process than just experience though.

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Six seasons is a lot of experience. What would you expect her to see or learn in year seven or eight that she did not already experience in her first six years?

20. Nacho Cheese

Nacho Cheese New Member

Mar 22, 2022
    Also not just six seasons at a rinky dink program. Literally won a natty as an assistant in the same league.

ytrs repped this.
  21. SmallSchoolGaffer

May 24, 2021
    Expecting EIU to follow WIU last offseason and promote their assistant.

ISU, as another poster said is in the process—pretty good candidates, IMO. I know there was a lot of chatter that they had been interviewing before the new year—if so, it was only cold calling. The notion that “no one wanted the job” is sort of a false narrative, at least based on some decent people I have heard applied. Not the greatest job in the world, but far from the worst, too.

Sledhead repped this.
  22. MrIPO

MrIPO Member

Mar 18, 2022
    Crazy how boring this "hiring season" is, for us to be talking this much about Indiana State.. ranked 338/348.. 3rd worst PWI in the country.. 2nd worst civilian PWI..

Great question. If you ask 100 ADs, you may get 100 different answers. As we've seen recently, some don't even need to have coached college for 2 years total, let alone been a head coach. Most look at playing background, regional connections, temperament, coaching licenses, etc. However, from a purely objective point of view, all the stats over the past 50+ years tell us that, while all of those things are important, the one factor that consistently overshadows all of the experiences a coach can possess is easily broken down into the following chart...

[​IMG]

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would appreciate it if you would direct me to the stats, for Division I women’s soccer, that support what you are saying. My sense of things is that they would not apply here, but the stats certainly could prove me wrong.

24. SmallSchoolGaffer

May 24, 2021
    338/348 this year. That’s not normal. They were 221 last year. It’s far from one of the worst jobs in the country. Maybe bottom 100, but not bottom 2 as you surmise. The fact they underperformed but have potential should be attractive for someone who wants to work.

25. MrIPO

MrIPO Member

Mar 18, 2022
    People want me doing math?! for obvious things that can be googled? yikes. :eek:
    As asked earlier: anyone with news on Alcorn State? or Eastern Illinois? Or any rumors about teams that have been pretty bad for years, but keep renewing their HC's contract? Surely, it'll be more interesting than what I'm about to post...

Respectfully, you're the resident stats guy. If you find it interesting and/or important enough, I'm sure everyone will appreciate you doing this rather than some new guy. Me, they'll either ignore or just move the goalposts. You, they'll take seriously when you come to the same conclusion. When you do, no apology necessary for not believing me. I'm kidding, of course, but, I mean, if we can't trust what our eyes see every year.. and we can't believe the small sample size we debate about every year in the Hot Seat threads.. and we haven't had to encounter this so many times in our lives that we randomly pick a conference and go through the coaching staffs.. we could always branch out to what's been presented by SCORE and others to save some time.

Only referred to last year. How far back do we all need to go when discussing these teams though? 3 years? 5? 10? They may have been 222 the year before last, but that was the closest they came to breaking 200 since 2013. Their average appears to be about 271 since then.