2022-23 CONCACAF Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jun 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A thread for the 2022-23 CONCACAF season including Champions League, Nations League, and other competitions that don't have their own thread/forum.

IASocFan repped this.
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2022-23 Nations League is underway with it being used for 2023 Gold Cup qualification.

League A
    Suriname : Jamaica - Brown (HON)
    Jamaica : Suriname - Elfath (USA)
    Panama : Costa Rica - Hernandez (MEX)
    Costa Rica : Martinique - Lopez (GUA)
    Curacao : Honduras - Parchment (JAM)
    Honduras : Curacao - Calderon (CRC)
    El Salvador : Grenada - Santander (MEX)
    Grenada : El Salvador - Gonzalez (MEX)

Other PRO crews

League C
    US Virgin Islands : Turks and Caicos Islands - Simon (USA)
    British Virgin Islands : Cayman Islands - Saghafi (USA)
    Cayman Islands : British Virgin Islands - Vazquez (USA)

IASocFan repped this.
  3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Female referee centering mens full international. Not often seen!

PH

4. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Maybe in about 10 years this will be commonplace

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    It's a first in CONCACAF, right? Of course, in UEFA, Frappart, Monzul, and Martincic have refereed men's WC qualifiers.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Well, this was in the CONCACAF thread. :)
    I am not certain if it is the the first or not. But I am certain someone will know!

PH

7. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Are men in turn actively reffing womens CONCACAF matches?

GoDawgsGo and incognitoind repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this isn’t technically a CONCACAF match, but those new Adidas kits being worn in the USMNT match are not good. Those back straps look like something you’d use to drag someone away.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    So apparently the referee team from Mexico let Uruguay make an improper 7th sub in today’s friendly.

IASocFan and JasonMa repped this.
  10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously the proper outcome is to award the US an additional 3-0 win in the World Cup.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Wouldn’t that be nice! But there is apparently precedent for voiding the game, so it would not benefit FIFA rankings. I don’t recall the formula, but I doubt there are that many points from a tie in a home friendly.

But it sure seems to make the ref team look bad—it just seems a really hard mistake to make with a 4O. (In a “real” game I would expect the US to be aware and object, but I wouldn’t imagine they really cared today as it was just a friendly.)

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the sides being basically even in the FIFA rankings, the US gained 0.03 pts for this draw.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two more peculiar qualities to this appointment. The first is that it's an American officiating... Americans. That's not often seen either (though CONCACAF has done this several times before).

The other is that it's a referee who has not refereed in her nation's professional men's first division officiating a men's international. It actually just dawned on me that the "gender-neutral" aspect of the FIFA list has opened up a backdoor to the requirement that an official must have officiated in their domestic top division for two years before getting their badge. Simon fulfils that requirement via her officiating work in NWSL, not MLS. It actually was already surprising to me that Simon would get this honor ahead of Penso, but the technical loophole is not something I had even considered until now.

dadman repped this.
  14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Yamashita has refereed a men's AFC Champions League group stage match (and is, as we all know, a men's WC referee) even though domestically she is only refereeing men's third division matches. I believe she hasn't done a men's first-team international (though did an AFC U23 qualifying match last year).

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a huge loophole, isn't it? I can't believe I hadn't considered it before. All the focus has been on the idea that women need to pass the men's fitness test to do men's game, which makes sense. But the big "quality-control" threshold to the list has been--for 30 years, at this point--the requirement that you have two years in your top division. But that requirement isn't being enforced for women.

I'm sorry, but the idea someone who is only doing third-division Japanese league matches might referee a World Cup game should be insulting to almost anyone involved in elite refereeing. But here we are...

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    That was what I was initially curious about.
    What men's internationals have been refereed by females in CONCACAF previously?

PH

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I looked last night because I had sworn Penso had done a Nations League match before, but couldn't find it. Which is why I made the comment I did about Simon getting "the honor." But I dug further this morning and realize now it was a WCQ. Tori Penso did Puerto Rico-Bahamas (Americans, again!) in June of 2021. I think that's the only other instance of a full international in CONCACAF and the rest would be youth and possibly club matches.

dadman, balu and Pierre Head repped this.
  18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    So there is the answer! Thanks MR.

PH

dadman, balu and frankieboylampard repped this.
  19. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SFP but not DOGSO?

21. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Agree. The delay on Montero's foul call was long enough to stand out to me, too.

I understand that anything below League A in CONCACAF, unlike UEFA, is pretty 'exotic', but given I expected Montero to attend WC 2022 early in the cycle, what a fall for him to now fulfill such matches while Calderón / K. Herrera get their chances...

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Certainly CONCACAF will be able to manage such a program in a thoughtful way immune from political considerations. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the announcement makes no indication at all about where "Independent Panel" members are coming from. Referees? Retired coaches? CONCACAF administrators?

I also hate the language used, which is specific about rescinding the red card rather than about removing the suspension. I guess we've abandoned that concept, which I thought was the original linchpin on why these post-game reviews of red cards could be made.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not a big deal. You don’t need to rescind red cards when your referees just don’t give them, anyway.

Dayton Ref, dadman, SccrDon and 6 others repped this.
  24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: