2022/2023 Season Prep thread

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by The Zeta Variant, Mar 3, 2022.

1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, for me it’s more about this specific player and his importance to this squad right now. He covers up several holes in the middle. Gotta reinforce well.

2. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    There’s reports
    That Varandas sold nunes without Amorim being aware. there’s your guy. Bring back BdC

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

Officially presented as a Wolves player.

I expect 2 big signings now. Midfielder and attacker.

Seems like Amorim was blindsided, hopefully we go outside Portugal this time, IMO there isn't a player like Matheus in Portugal we should look abroad.

4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Sometimes teams come with offers our teams can not say no to. Decent price but tbo I think you guys could have gotten more if you held on to him longer . Story of Portuguese league I guess

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Jorge Mendes controls everything. The player has been a Gestifute client since 2021 so this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Sporting's official communicado states we get 45M euros, with Mendes getting 10% commission or around 4.5M (his standard fee). The 5M euros bonus is contingent on players performance and Wolves qualifying for UCL... doubt we see all that.

6. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Doubt it, every time a Portuguese club holds out for more they end up forcing their way out for less.

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I dont think we have ever held on to a potential star player. Mid range players maybe but not the top players. This is not just a Sporting thing. Benfica have sold early every time. Heck we sell teenagers.

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Covid and the lost of paying fans also puts alot of financial pressure on our teams.

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    And we also don't generate the revenue to be able to not sell players. Also, all the big 3 have basically spent most if not all of the massive TV rights deal, anticipating years worth of TV revenue, so until at least 2028 we're gonna sell more and more players to generate income.

10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Portugal still have 2 guaranteed CL spots this year?

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Pretty sure we do. But in big risk of losing it after this year.

12. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s not good. Netherlands is next up, aren’t they?

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yup, and tendency is for them to stay ahead of us, the fact is, our teams outside the top 4 are much weaker and can't qualify for the new Conference League, while even outside Ajax/PSV they have Feyenoord, Vitesse, AZ or Groningen who can easily beat any of our teams below Braga and make runs in Europe.

14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sounds like you don't watch Nunes play at all, nor have you seen some of atrocious dealings if our president. Not saying I dislike Varandas but his dealings leave a lot to be desired.

15. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Good luck. It's gonna be Jovane back from the dead.

Welcome to 3rd/4th place again, everybody. Horrendous business by Varanadas and Viana. And to not have a replacement is just laughable.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Jovane reintegrated. Looks like we'll renew his contract.

I never hated Jovane he's been crucial on some occasions but mostly off the bench, if he can play an impact sub role I think he could still be a good player. Maybe he'll come off the bench and score 2 vs. Porto :D

Lets see if we sign anyone. This Jovane news might mean the alternative to Ugarte and Morita might be to drop Pote to midfield.

According to transfermarkt, with this latest sale we've made almost 120M in player sales and 37M expenditure:

Sales:

Matheus Nunes - 45M
    Nuno Mendes - 38M
    Palhinha - 20M
    Tabata - 5M
    Rosier - 4.8M
    Sporar - 3.5M
    Plata - 3M

Signings:

Vinagre - 10M
    St. Juste - 9.5M
    Porro - 8.5M
    Morita - 3.8M
    Trincao - 3M
    Rochinha - 2M

17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Oh Amorim is pissed and he isn't hiding it in today's prematch press conference.

"I'm dissatisfied with losing a player like Matheus"
    "I'm not happy, he's a player that is missed, I didn't expect to lose him"
    "We're not going to spend the Matheus money. Matheus was sold to cover basic things for the club, that's what was conveyed to me"
    "I don't know what changed, I know from the first moment that the management's desire was not to sell him"
    "Tabata was sold to keep Matheus Nunes. I'm not the one that sells players, the incoherence (or contradiction) doesn't come from the coach"
    "Jovane will stay and sign a new contract, but isn't an option for Porto"

More and more I get the feeling this sale was to please Jorge Mendes and not for "financial sustainability"

Likely Matheus Fernandes is probably gonna have one of the spots, he showed some promise in pre-season and has been compared to Matheus

18. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    what? What do either of those random accusations have anything to do with me saying players staying longer usually means they get sold for less? Remember moutinho, veloso, William, Patricio, etc?

19. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    yeah starting to seem unlikely that we sign anyone. Pote back to his original position in midfield with Paulinho, Edwards, Trincao up front. Doesn’t give a ton of confidence, but let’s see what happens..

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I hate that though, Pote so far is scoring a goal a game at least, looks like his form is back, I'd hate to drop him deeper and lose those goals.

We need players. Hopefully its a bluff and we sign a good player. Even if its a loan opportunity.

21. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely need a mid. Leaving the squad short if one isn’t brought in. Don’t blame Amorim for being pissed.

22. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Mateus Fernandes called up for the game tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench. Don't forget our academy boys, who knows if the next Nunes is gonna appear

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This current squad is significantly worse than last years. We are winning nothing with this team. 3rd or 4th place, here we come

24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well the first point I was trying to make is that Nunes isn’t anything like those players we sold for less or that we couldn’t get market value for. He’s a much better player than them and a more valuable player for this team. I also don’t see him as a character who would force his way out.

the second point is how awful of a transfer this is for the club. Don’t know how anybody, even a Varandas guzzler, can support this kind of nonsense at the end of a transfer window and days before a massive game.

25. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    lol whatever floats your boat man. I’m sure you predicted the absolute model professional and captain moutinho forcing his way out. I’d also argue that moutinho is a better player, or at least shown more than Matheus so far in his career.