News: 2022/2023 Off-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Quinn 33, Oct 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes ran hot and cold for me. I wasn’t overly impressed. With his salary, he would have to impress. I’m not sad to see him leave. Unfortunately, we’re back to square 1 with finding a #9. Ugh. Please don’t let this off-season be shit! Please, I beg!

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Unfortunately, I think Lucas was a talented prospect - but at a $2mil valuation (Palmeiras asking $1mil for 50% of his rights), it's just too high to go. He had shown great flashes here and there, but we need more than great flashes here and there for $2mil.

Especially when you consider the transfer fee for Vines was "Up to $2 million + sell on"

So, for conversations sake, we say $2mil actual dollars for Vines, and then $2mil 'valuation' dollars for Esteves. I don't think any of us could say that Esteves was a like for like with Vines' production.

Sad to say our Young Player of the Year didn't work out as well as we hoped. Best of luck to you Lucas, I'm sure you'll have a great career!

4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is fine. The problem is - who will replace him? Is Markanic ready?

My concern is that Galvan will get stuck in that LB spot, which I don't think is the best use of his skills, nor do I think it'll help us all that much. Would rather see Galvan on the right side where he can cut in and shoot/pass with his left.

JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and m vann repped this.
  6. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case anyone is keeping track, we now need to make three critical first 11 quality signings before the season starts; ST, CB, LB. Never mind depth and other positions that could use more competition.

If you thought we needed to hit home runs in past transfer windows...whoo boy. Right now we may be staring down the barrel at a 2023 that may be one of the biggest disaster seasons in club history.

COMtnGuy, Sal Paradise and m vann repped this.
  7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    And Clint Irwin has now moved on to Minnesota:

1600220461735944192 is not a valid tweet id

The once Rapid turned Former Rapid turned Rapid again - Clint has once again continued his career....as a Former Rapid.

Best of luck Clint (in all games except when we play MNUFC of course!)

8. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of departures but not too many arrivals this off-season. The Rapids must have the lowest salary budget in the league right now.

9. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #109 fischerw, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    According to Tom Bogert, we just sent $1M in GAM to LA Galaxy for Kevin Cabral.

Seems like Galaxy Fans are pretty happy to see him go...

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    That’s probably because he whiffed about as many open goals as humanly possible. Between him and Bassett, our xG per game this season will probably double.

Now…if the two youngsters start scoring…this cold be an insanely good deal.

LA Galaxy paid something like 6mil for him as a young DP - we’re getting him for 1mil. Put together with LA’s sanctions this season it seems like this could potentially be a great deal for both teams. Cabral burned his fan base for sure - but he’s got some insane talent.

Now, I didn’t watch the Galaxy much the last two seasons. However.

From what I’ve seen - Probably one of the fastest guys (if not the most) on their team, he’s also got great ball skills, good vision, and makes perfectly timed late, darting runs across the net. This would allow him to find chance after chance. Unfortunately he also had a penchant for missing the final ball in, or skying the final shot.

This could either be a really, really great deal at the best, or another flashy player who leaves goals on the table at the worst (which, doesn’t that sound like the Rapids??)

Sports Yak and fischerw repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I appreciate @TheWarmBurger's attempt to be positive, but this has disaster and a FO flailing about trying to make any sort of deal written all over it. Taking on a DP contract for a guy who hasn't come close to living up to his expectations in MLS? And trading the equivalent of what we got for Acosta and Kaye to do it? Not to mention making the trade with a team that everyone know is over a barrel this year with the upcoming sanctions?

12. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Hey, it’s the holiday season. Trying to stay joyful and save my negativity for 2023 lol

Plus, if you think about it, we’re getting Cabral for the same price we got Max for.

It’s the most! Wonderful time! To drink beer!

[​IMG]

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $1m for GAM, for what? A striker that has 6G/5A in 61 matches. It seems like a great move! Fast and can’t finish. That’s what I’m talking about! Yay… said no one ever. Ugh!

14. jrowe13

jrowe13 Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Depressed Assets FC. Don't mind this move if it is conjunction with others, but if this is our "big" off-season signing we are in a world of hurt.

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which Wing position does he play? Wondering who he is replacing in XI

17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Thinking more on this, getting Cabral is really just a $1mil bet. I think everyone can see that Cabral has a super high ceiling, but he's never really left the ground. If it pays off it could be a huge future signing.

If it doesn't pay off, all we're out is $1mil GAM ($600k this year, and $400k next). We still have other wingers in Lewis, Barrios, Galvan, et al. Let's not fool ourselves either, we weren't getting a true quality #9 or #10 for that million either.

And I don't think Padraig would want to spend $1mil on a CB either, nor do I think we would be happy if we had a big spend on a CB when there's so many free agent CBs available.

We're also bringing Bassett back. That's essentially a million plus dollar signing as well that we're getting for free. If he wasn't a homegrown loan recall, there would be no way we could afford to buy Cole with the other moves we're needing to make this offseason.

IF. And I realize this is another big if....

If the Rapids go out and sign a lockdown CB - something that you can get for MUCH less dollar cost (transfer + salary) than a Cabral for example - then we would have 2 very big acquisitions in needed parts of the field. Our midfield was absolutely abysmal last season, and I don't think I need to say much about our back line.

That would mean so far the 'upgrades' are:

-An attacking midfielder in Bassett - freeing up Rubio from having to drop down into possession so much.

-A solid every week CB (I'm hearing rumors about guys like Aaron Long or Matt Hedges), makes life so much easier in the back. Not to mention we will have Aboubacar Keita back from injury as well, so who knows what that will look like.

-A low risk / high reward winger in Cabral.

Now granted, we haven't signed the CB yet, but if we get that done I feel like a BIG chunk of our offseason will have had some nice improvements.

I think it's easy to forget how much we are getting back in Galvan and in Bassett. Not to mention how much time Price missed too. They will be marked improvements over last year.

18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think he primarily played left, but I've seen him on both sides so don't quote me on that!

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Again, I'm saving my negativity for 2023. I'm sure I'll be plenty negative then!

Sports Yak repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its also easy to overestimate how much we're getting back. Fully healthy Price, I agree, is huge. But Galvan has 16 total starts in MLS and is coming off a severe knee injury. Are we really sure he's going to be good enough to be a centerpiece for us? Bassett floated in and out of the starting XI his last couple of seasons in Colorado, are we sure he can lock down a position?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they succeeded in distracting us form the whole Center Forward/ goal scorer need. ;)

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  22. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy! An expensive squad rotation player!

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So lets recap: Instead of spending our stockpiled GAM on a position of critical need (Striker, CB, and LB), Padraig instead spends it on yet another winger... A winger that's not even that good but comes with a hefty price tag.

What's Padraig got up his sleeve next? A goalkeeper?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This balances out the trade a bit more

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The guy is only 23. And a change of scenery will help him. I’ll probably regret saying this, but I’m predicting it will be a good trade.

You know the phrase, “Even a blind squirrel…” Merry Christmas everyone.