News: 2022/2023 Off-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Quinn 33, Oct 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Isn't that a sad state of affairs....

2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him, but I'll be astonished if he actually sees the pitch for more than token minutes. A guy that wasn't good enough to break into the Rapids midfield when we were starting Acosta, Warner and Max, and suddenly he's a World Cup player? Seems unlikely.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's never been to Colorado. He signed with Rapids 2 in the summer but was immediately loaned back to his Costa Rican team to keep continuing to play at a high level (relatively speaking) to increase his chances of making the WC roster.

I don't think he's expected to be a starter, but he's quite likely to come off the bench as a sub.

SccrDon repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yes, it seems as if signing Zardes might be worth signing for a season with an option for another if the Rapids don't have to ship GAM/TAM to Columbus. The caveat of course is the Rapids can transfer in someone else that is likely score more consistently.

Sports Yak repped this.
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey this is great and not trying to take away from this...

Are we sure this isn't the "Provisional" roster? I don't think any team has named their final WC roster yet. I believe FIFA increase WC roster size from 23 to 26 for this WC.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica released their official 26-man roster today and Chacon was included. I've heard that Chacon is expected to be part of the rotation. I've also heard really good things about him. There seems to be a pretty good buzz about him from the Coata Rican press. He's listed as a defender for CR but he's played mostly as a #6 in his club career.

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  7. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well today was the two-day trade deadline, and it doesn't seem as if the Rapids made any moves. And we still haven't heard about year-end roster decisions, which I thought the deadline was Monday, but on Reddit or somewhere somebody said it was the 17th.

You'd have thought that would be decided prior to the expansion draft, which is on Friday.

m vann, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Full protected list just dropped:

https://www.coloradorapids.com/news...-12-players-ahead-of-2022-mls-expansion-draft

And the unprotected if you don't want to go to the site:

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Prediction on how Smith with try acquire our #9, he will try to trade up and get the top college striker. I think that's what he was trying to do when we neded up with Makaya because they were gone when pick 3 rolled around

11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same with the year end contract decisions:
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/news/colorado-rapids-announce-year-end-roster-updates-x9512

Option exercised: Barrios, Keita, Larraz, Markanich, Rodriguez, Rubio

Option declined: Beitashour, Edwards, Mayaka

Out of Contract: Iriwn, Zardes

Loan Expired: Esteves, Gutiérrez

"Colorado remains in discussions with Zardes, Gutiérrez, Beitashour, and Edwards over a potential return"

It also says that "The league has until December 1 to exercise the buy option on Esteves' loan" which is somewhat vague as to what the Rapids want to do.

The only people who are clearly not in the Rapids' plans moving forward are Irwin and Mayaka.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the Mayaka news somewhat shocking. The league usually wraps up those GA players for 4 years so the fact that we're declining his option and thus his GA status as a protected player after two really tells me he's shown nothing as a pro. As the so-called "most MLS ready player" in his draft that was a big miss by the scouts, though I know the Rapids did not believe he was MLS ready and he was not their intended target when they moved up in that draft. They expected him to go 1 or 2 and they had him ranked 3 of the top 3 players in that draft.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that said, I was under the impression that he showed well this season Rapids 2 and I witnessed Mayaka played numerous good matches with the Switchbacks in 2021. Of course, performing well at those levels doesn’t necessarily equate to NLs readiness or success. I’m wondering… do you think his international status plays into this decision?

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly doesn't help him, but he's been in the States long enough now that if they were really interested in him long-term they could get him through the green card process fairly easily. Which tells me they don't care enough about him to do that, or he's resisting it for some reason.

15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayaka being dropped is something of a surprise. I'm actually surprised by Beitashour being dropped as well since I think he did a pretty a good job at filling holes. Getting rid of him doesn't make a lot of sense especially if it looks like Esteves is leaving. Maybe Beitashour is retiring?

No real surprises other than that.

I do, however, want to reemphasize that Vallecilla is garbage and not worth protecting, and I'm completely mystified how anybody actually thinks he's valuable.

Sports Yak repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says they're negotiating with Beitashour, so what this means is that they didn't want to bring him back at the option number for 2023 in his contract. Maybe it had an escalation clause in it if they picked it up.

17. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This got floated out in the Twitterverse today. While we do need a starting caliber CB really badly, I doubt the Rapids would go after anybody if there was a bidding war.

Also I really doubt any EPL team has given him a serious look, which may mean this is just another agent trying to drum up interest.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard some talk that we almost landed Long in a deal at the trade deadline, so I'm sure they'll be interested. If a deal gets done though...

19. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, you could have a friggin' All-Star team with players that the Rapids almost landed.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheWarmBurger and unkiemark repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It makes no sense for Bassett to stay in a situation where he isn't going to play. Especially when he has the opportunity to return to the Rapids where he could be a key player.

My next question is what role with the Rapids is he best suited for should be return to CC this winter?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, no Rapids were taken in the expansion draft

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have zero idea if this info is even remotely credible but I was told he doesn’t plan or want to return to the Rapids. In January, he wants to be loaned out / sold elsewhere in Europe. A Belgian side and 2nd Bundesliga side have shown interest.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It fits what I heard before his loan to Feyenoord, that he didn't want to re-sign with the Rapids when his contract was set to end after this past season and he was going to go to Europe. He, obviously, resigned when it included an immediate loan instead of playing out the 2022 season in MLS before he could move.

I just wonder how realistic getting another loan after not playing significantly for a year is, At some point the smart thing is to be wherever you can be playing regularly, even if it is MLS. I'm not sure (depending on the team) playing for a Belgian of 2nd division side in Germany is an improvement over that, other than you're in Europe.

COMtnGuy and unkiemark repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a jersey sponsor!