News: 2022/2023 Off-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Quinn 33, Oct 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Imagine if we had the front office capable of going after guys like this:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Josef is gonna tear it up for whatever team signs him - especially after how Heinze treated him last year, and how the team moved on this year.

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

4. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 37 year old veteran. Had 22 appearances for the club in 2022, 4g 4a.

COMtnGuy, SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Oof. A 37 year old striker is just what the rapids need right now…that’ll really engender some faith in the organization!

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I doubt any MLS side is seriously looking at Fuenzalida given his age and lack of goal production in recent seasons. His English Wikipedia page as him with 0 goal is 20 appearances for Universidad Católica in 2022. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Pedro_Fuenzalida

There is the Rapids' Chilean connection though . . . but I just can't believe Pádraig would be considering him.

TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably just some agent trying to pump up a fee for his client. Lets be real though, when has lack of production ever stopped Padraig from signing a guy? He may not be considering him, but I doubt its for a reason as obvious or logical as what you pointed out.

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Imagine if our FO could get a guy like Mukhtar - who just won the MVP for this year (and has been tearing it up for Nashville since joining them in 2020):

Well....if you didn't know already, his purchase price was well within what we could hope for in a big splash player....

$3mil. That's it. $3mil. That's all it cost to get a league superstar and a face for the franchise.

In the same offseason that the Rapids FO signed Namli and Benezet for $2mil, Nashville went out there got Mukhtar (ok technically, they signed him in August, but he couldn't join the team until 2020 for their inaugural year).

Wonder who we're signing this offseason. Don't really have high expectations right now, but until the Winter window is closed before the start of next season, I guess I can still hope for something!

And yes, I realize that ironically makes me a hopeless optimist ;):thumbsup:

Quinn 33 repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $3M would be a team record fee for a player. Not that we couldn't or shouldn't pay that much, but we never have up to this point.

Quinn 33, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well, with guys like Messi going to Miami (while by no means confirmed, it’s still possible), Almada to Atlanta for $16m, Insigne signing on to play for Toronto for 4 years for $44m, and rumors of Josef Martinez to Barcelona - $3mil is gonna seem like small potatoes in this league pretty soon. MLS is exploding on the international stage right now as it’s definitely shifting to a direct pipeline both to and from the ‘Big Five’

Unfortunately Million Dollar Max deals don’t really seem to be able to cut it - and I’m probably higher on Max than most of the Rapids fandom here and elsewhere on the interwebs.

11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theoretically we should hear about the end-of-season roster decisions between today and Saturday, no?

Josef Martinez to Barcelona sounds a bit like Josef Martinez's agent talking, trying to raise his price tag among MLS clubs given his lackluster past season.

On the MLS Extratime podcast, Matt Doyle opined that if Messi goes to Inter Miami, it makes Alejandro Pozuelo redundant there. He specifically mentioned the Rapids as a team that really needs a player like him. But then all the other hosts chimed in and said, "Well, that won't happen because the Rapids don't do DPs."

TheWarmBurger, Quinn 33 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While, I assume, ignoring that the Rapids have had a DP on the roster every year since 2014(?), and 2 this year.

(Not that I would call them good DPs or anything, but the Rapids 'do' DPs. They just don't do them well.)

SccrDon, jrowe13 and Quinn 33 repped this.
  13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While technically correct, it does demonstrate what kind of reputation/stigma this club has. I've stated in the past that the kind of DPs the Rapids should be signing are in that $1m to $3m range. However, an underlying issue is we have a GM that is extremely bad (probably the worst in the entire league) at identifying and signing anybody that commands anything north of $500k. I don't think we can expect any future DP signings to rise above the quality of Namli (a guy we signed that didn't even fit the system) or Zardes (an overly expensive desperation signing) until Padraig is no longer with the club.

14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith is a Bargin bin signer, right now other clubs have made signings or you hear who they are pursuing. RFO only shops after the bins are picked clean.

I have never bought into their whole, "DP's ruin the clubhouse/ team" drivel they used to use to explain not going after DP's.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its true...for some DPs. The mistake is worrying about it as an issue across the board. If they really think having somebody like that would destroy the locker room good scouting and negotiation should be able to reveal who won't be a good match, and then you just don't sign that player and move on to one that will be a good match.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    A couple of tidbits from The Athletic article linked earlier in this thread:

• The MLS regular season will begin on Sat., Feb. 25
    • Home matches will kickoff at 7:30pm local time (I think this is still up for consideration, not set in stone yet.)

JasonMa, Quinn 33 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think we should sign Ronaldo. I hear he’s great in the locker room as of late

JasonMa repped this.
  18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good observation and something that has driven me nuts about the way they have operated. This off-season we've seen a bunch of clubs already announce their end-of-season roster moves. Some clubs have even already announced new signings. The Rapids season ended almost a month ago and we've heard absolutely nothing. They operate on a "we'll get to it when we get to it" attitude, rather than a "we got a plan and we want to hit the ground running" attitude. For all the big talk Padraig likes to make about how they have a plan, waiting until after the season starts and windows close to make any sort of major acquisitions strongly implies the opposite.

It's just more bullshit in-line with "we're not going to spend Zlatan money" when asked about the vacant DP slots, as if anyone with a functioning brain expected that. They legit think the fans are stupid.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right on the acquisitions, but I can tell you the lack of an announcement about retained/released players is 100% intentional. Its the same reason we don't get a lineup until its absolutely required (and then not in a formation graphic) and why the injury reports are never up to date. Padraig believes that any information given out helps the other teams so he will always release the minimal information allowed and wait as late as possible to do it, to get as much of an "edge" as possible from it.

I think 90% of the time that hurts building engagement with the fans more than it helps with roster building, but that's the strategy they're going with.

SccrDon and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  20. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I couldn't agree more. There's seemingly very little interest in growing the fan base.

Ironically, I live in AZ and actually saw a Colorado Rapids bumper sticker the other day. Couldn't believe my eyes and had to do a triple take!

Sports Yak, SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  21. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Daniel Chacon is going to the World Cup:

Will be an extremely valuable chunk of experience for him. Not just the World Cup setting, but Costa Rica is in a group with Spain, Germany, and Japan - no easy task by any means.

Good luck Daniel!

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unkiemark and JasonMa repped this.
  24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunk cost fallacy? Also, I think the odds of anyone wanting him are extremely low. I could see other teams looking at a guy like Acosta, but theres no way anybody is dumb enough to roll the dice on Vallecilla again.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly I just needed to come up with some reason to protect two other players. Honestly, its a stretch to even get to 10 worth protecting once our auto-protected HGs and GAs are covered.

jrowe13, SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.