2021 UEFA Under-21 Championship

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by HandofAbel, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good game, and a solid German performance. Took away our time and space in midfield knowing it would limit us. Really smart tactical team in finding the pockets of space and exploiting certain weak players. The game plan was to obviously target the hole between the fullbacks/D-mid on the edges of the 18 which was always a weakness our team had..the 4-4-2 diamond really didn't cover that.

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wrong thread

3. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Leao was embarrassing.

Anyways, If we had trincao, mendes, neto they would have got rocked

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Leao should have been the "man among boys" out there but he was useless.

5. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We were missing some of our top payers, no doubt about it. Yet we still had the talent to win this final, a lot of this loss was on coaching imho.

Leao is a huge loss of talent...if he had any sort of desire/hunger he could have won this game on his own. Incredibly lazy.

6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah he was a ghost...

7. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    This team reminds me of what senior Teams were in the 80's and 90's. Game based on individual dribbling skills, lightweight players, lack of intensity in defensive game. The best example of that is the missed chance by Vitinha, he opted for faints and dribbling when he just should have taken a shot. After Germany took the lead, Portugal took more the initiative, but had little impact. I hear some people in the media saying that many of those players will make it to the A team, but I don't think so. Those last 3 games were painful to watch.

8. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Trincao never had covid was only isolating, I do believe it’s only 10 days for some one that has to isolate? And he was already into his 4/5 day before we played Italy could not see why he could not of turned up for the semi and final

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    PDC probably already sold him to Wolves ;)

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This pic:

„I had fun once. It was awful.“

NewLaw83 and SCP_16 repped this.
  12. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It would've been nice if Goncalo Ramos came on earlier than the 86th minute considering he was the team's only one-touch striker and Portugal managed one shot on goal for the entire match.

I like Leao, but Portugal needed an attacking target and he spends so much time operating on the fringes of the penalty area. And as wonderful as Mota's finishes were vs. Italy, both were from set pieces and in the run of play he seemed more interested in dribbling the ball into multiple defenders.

There just wasn't anyone in front of the goal; combining that with Germany's stout defending (and Vitinha's incredible indecisiveness at the end of the first half) is how you end up with one SOG despite playing from behind for essentially the whole second half.