2021 U17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think pretty much everything is going to be on hold for quite some time

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no U17/U20 WC’s for the 2021 cycle. Not like it’s some revenue generator for FIFA to begin with. I’d say the U17’s would have the best chance since that’s usually later in the year and U20’s are usually May/June, when there’s the Euros, Gold Cup, Copa America, and Olympics next summer.

Lookingforleftbacks and largegarlic repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    FIFA ratings.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand the point that FIFA has more important tournaments to worry about, but what sense does it make to cancel everything altogether? There’s definitely a big detriment from not running international youth competitions for a full youth cycle.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    and
    It was the Danish U-16 NT and not the U-17's:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/denmark-u16_united-states-u17/index/spielbericht/3323636

But I'll add that Jeppe Kjær, who got his U-16 NT debut for Denmark in that friendly vs. the USA U-17's also got his Danish Superliga debut on his 16-yo birthday (because of the 16 year age limit) and now has 1 goal and 3 assists in his first 7 Superliga games for Horsens, also making him the youngest player ever to score a goal in the Superliga.

He's kind of a new "Laudrup" in the sense that even his coach in the Danish league said that this 16-yo has a more mature soccer-brain than all other players he has ever worked with and that sometimes he even see things during a game that he himself had missed as a coach... point being, that even a good experienced Superliga coach can have trouble keeping up at times, if you have a huge talent on your hands.

I don't think a youth NT coach can do much, if the problem is the youth coaching staff at club level and at a very young age, years before we even reach U-16.

A bit of Jeppe Kjær :

Pegasus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I heard about him. Looks like a very talented player. We call them U-17 for two years, most other countries go from U-16 to U-17 from year 1 to year 2 of the cycle. It's the same aged players playing against each other.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Yes, but in Denmark we both have a U-16 NT (with players aged 15 to 16) and a U-17 NT (aged 16 to 17) at the same time, so the Danish U-17's are not the same as the U-16's

8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article today by Arch Bell on Nico Carrera's move to Holstein Kiel hints that younger brother '04 FCD academy GK Antonio Carrera was called up to the March US U17 camp in Carson. Article says Antonio is a "new goalkeeper for the United States U17 team." No explanation for that other than a call-up to the most recent camp.

Malick Sanogo, Quinn Sullivan, Kevin Mearse are the other first-time call-ups to that camp that we know of.

ckajMonet repped this.
  9. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    This is a fantastic move for Carrera, a perfect fit for him.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mentions Antonio in the article as well.

ussoccer97531 and dougtee repped this.
  11. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    There were rumors going around a few months ago that Antonio was off to Mexico. Wonder if that was just rumor or if training with NTSC is enough to keep him around.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    kind of interesting how nico really differentiates between north american and european development and is only interested in the latter - wonder if that is a view held family-wide.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I think that is a widely held view overall. Sometimes, I don't think we take into consideration a players family situation and how that may play into their decision. Housing and a $35k-$40k salary is huge for some kids, others not so much.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #214 Clint Eastwood, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    I think its a widely held view. Many kids want to get their foot in the door in Europe, and will go to clubs like Holstein Kiel as a starting point.

I think the best developmental club that Nico Carrera has been at was his first club. Pachuca. I'd be happy to argue that Pachuca is a significantly better and bigger club than Holstein Kiel. I mean, let's be honest..............that's not arguable. Pachuca finished 3rd at the Club World Cup three years ago. Holstein Kiel is a Bund2-Bund3 yo-yo club. Not close.

But the idea is to get in the door in Europe and go from there. I wish him the best. There are some youngsters that move from FCD and the cord is irreparably severed. [You will never see FCD acknowledge the existence of Weston McKennie.] There are others that seem to part with mutual respect and understanding. Nico and his family seem to fall in the latter category.

As we know, keeper is a different animal altogether. Antonio Carrera has a long time to go until his 18th birthday anyway.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I’m not saying this is Carreras situation. In fact, I think he’s in the opposite situation.

My point was geared toward those US players that sign USL deals when we would rather them test themselves in Europe.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. I'm sure Carrera didn't grow up dreaming of playing for Holstein Kiel either.
    Its all about where kids think they can develop in order to get to the "highest levels."

What MLS has to do is provide more examples of kids that went the USL/MLS/Europe route successfully. Like say Tyler Adams. He'll be in the Champions League next season. Then more of these elite U17 youngsters will be tempted to follow in those footsteps. 25 years from now this'll be a completely different conversation.

At the moment the highest profile former FCD academy player in a "top 4" European league is the one that left without signing a contract (Weston McKennie).

If you're an FCD fan and you want these elite youngsters to continue signing for you, then you need an assembly line of Chris Richards examples. So they need to sell Reggie Cannon to a top 4 league this window. Followed maybe in the next window by Pomykal. You have to show these elite youngsters that the path to the big time goes thru YOU..................not Holstein frickin' Kiel.

I'm talking about every MLS club here, not FCD.

Pegasus and dougtee repped this.
  17. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I don’t even think more of these examples are going to sway some of these kids. Even by going to a 2Bundesluga club in their Academy, you might only be 6 months away from the first team with a string of great performances.

Being locked in a USL or MLS deal with club options can put massive delays on getting to Europe. That doesn’t even include having performances good enough for teams to come knocking, much less getting on the field for an MLS team. Even then, the player is at the mercy of their club accepting a transfer fee. There are many things that have to happen for an International transfer to work out.

I would argue the path to first team football in the Bundesliga is much simpler via the route that Carrera is looking to go.

But you are right. Things do have to change.

18. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Since you clarified, do you care to elaborate what is his "opposite situation"?

19. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I’m not sure my point came across correctly...either time for that matter.

Nico has college waiting for him and didn’t need to jump at the first (NTSC) contract that came his way. He had the luxury of seeking out what was right for him. Not all kids have that luxury.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, the path to the Bundesliga for another CB, Chris Richards, did go thru an FCD contract. They sold him before he ever played a game for them. That was pretty simple.

In order for clubs to entice kids with multiple opportunities (in other words leverage) to stay...................you need to pay them handsomely to do so. Some will take it; some won't. FCD supposedly offered Weston McKennie the largest homegrown deal in history at the time. It didn't matter.

FCD has singed 13 kids to homegrown deals since the off-season prior to the 2017 MLS campaign. 13. Every single one of them a USYNTer. [Pepi, Richards, Cannon, Pomykal, Ferreira, Servania, Cerrillo, Tessman, Sealy, Roberts, Reynolds, Munjoma, Avilez] So obviously there are plenty of kids that want the MLS opportunity.

This is going to sound worse than I want it to, because I wish Nico the absolute best. If FCD was desperate to keep him, and thought he was a can't-miss prospect.....................they'd have offered him a first team deal like they did with Tanner Tessman. You can only offer those deals to a limited number every year. If you have a U19DA team in which every starting player is a legitimate pro prospect, you know you can only offer first team deals to 2-3, only a few will accept USL deals, and the rest will go elsewhere. The key is you get as many of the elite kids as you can. If you asked me at Christmas which DA academy player I wanted FCD to sign.....................I'd have said Tanner Tessman. They got him. After that I probably would have said Jonathan Gomez. They struck out on him.

21. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Yes, it was simple, but completely out of the ordinary. There is an announced partnership with Bayern and not many American kids are ready to step into Munich, even at the Academy level. As much as I loved the way that deal went down, there were some outlying factors that really helped. Mainly, him being from Birmingham, which is not part of a HG territory.

Completely agree. This is the point I've been trying to make. For some, the lure and financial impact of a large HG deal is enough to make them stay. For others, going into an environment where they are only a step (was it 10 months in McKennies case?) away from first team football in Europe will keep them from signing. Having that HG offer in your pocket when negotiating with a club like Schalke could be the difference between $2k/week and $10k/week in initial wages.Weston Mckennie may have passed up the most lucrative HG deal ever, but he is much, much, much better off financially because he didn't sign it.

There is no doubt FCD got it right with choosing Tessman over a player like Carrera. This is why I don't understand why people are upset with him going to a 2Bundesliga club. FCD has to play by the rules and roster restrictions like everyone else. We may not like the limits MLS has placed on the clubs, but until those change, we will see more and more kids leaving. Which is what many people want to see. The best of the best are pretty easy to handle, but I still have concerns about players at the Roberts, Cerrillo, Reynolds level. I would like to see these players loaned out (with an option to buy) to get consistent time at a level higher than USL League One. If their performance out on loan is fantastic, bring them back and play them in MLS or sell them. If the roster limits every change, I would like to see a rule that restricts the length of a players initial contract to 24 months.

USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    One change that should also be made is that HG contracts should be separated for players who've signed them straight from the academy and those who've signed them after playing college soccer. They shouldn't all be treated the same. They're not.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Are people upset?

I'd probably increase the number of first team contracts MLS teams can offer to homegrowns by some amount, but I also don't think it's productive for teams to be able to stockpile talent.

FC Dallas valued other players over Nico, and perhaps Nico valued going to Europe above all else. Both of those are fine.

I know nothing of Holstein Kiel; hopefully they are both strong developmentally and really like Nico. Hopefully he did his research on them, and understand how he fits in their plans. All that is more important than MLS v 2. Bundesliga.

USSoccerNova and bpet15 repped this.
  24. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Understood it well initially but I confused myself. You must be familiar with his situation or it permeates well publicly. I was surprised to see he committed early to college. To me, that's usually an indication they have no intentions of attending.

25. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Agree. I think committing has turned into a point of leverage for some of these players. It stinks for some of the University's because they lose highly regarded players right before their season starts.