2021 U17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Nov 1, 2019.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Jordan Jones is the first '05 called up to the new U17 cycle as a late replacement.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    IMO, he's a little overrated. He has potential, but I've not seen him turn that potential into consistent or even regular production. This reminds me a little of Sealy being called into the first U-17 camp last cycle where he was clearly out of place, and then didn't get called in the rest of the cycle. I like Jones game better than I liked Sealy though. I'm not saying he's bad, but I certainly don't think he's earned this from the games I've seen.

Maybe I've just seen the wrong games, and I know @bpet15 rates the guy extremely high.

Do we know who Jones replaced?

ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I think he is a very good player and should be squarely in the conversation as one of the best midfielders in the U15 (2005) age group. This level (2004 YNT) will be too much for him, but it doesn't take away from how I view him. He is not going to embarrass himself at this camp as he is fully capable of fitting in and playing a role, but he won't run that team. I think people need to keep in mind the overall call ups in this group, as it is no where near our best U16 team.

As for what I think about him, it's a little complicated. I've seen him play nearly 20 matches and find him to be very consistent. That said, I understand where @ussoccer97531 is coming from in his scouting. His use of "production" is his scouting report is spot on because as good as he looks, he does lack production. He is very pleasing on the eye and incredibly smooth on the ball, that is the first thing that jumps out at people. Even though I rate him very highly at the moment, it doesn't necessarily equate to a USMNT prospect down the road. He really needs to become a player that can contribute with goals and assists from the CM position, something he doesn't do much of at the moment. He is great with the ball at his feet, which turns heads, but doesn't yet have the vision to create with the pass. I will say he is as two footed of a player as I have seen at this age. He has always played in a #6 role but has been moved up the pitch with Cochran introduced to that team. Each of those players make each other better because they are typically the two that see the game at an advanced level.

I don't like comparisons, but amongst all the scouts and agents at GA Cup in Houston, most already rate Cochran ahead of Jones at this moment. I find Jones to be a player that makes limited mistakes, but needs more "wow" moments, be it beating a player and scoring or making that decisive pass. That is the major difference between him and Cochran at this point in time.

I would add, this type of situation ties in well to @ussoccer97531 thread about opportunity. When you have been a central figure in what I think is far and away the best U15 team in the country, these things tend to happen. When any YNT needs a quick replacement, FCD isn't a bad place to grab them from.

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Who is Cochran?

5. watke

watke Member

United States
    May 9, 2019
    It seems we're developing a tradition of not saying his name here. Cochran was a code. Put an r between the o and the second c, and replace the h with an o.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Oooh, I’m getting closer.

Now, as someone who definitely doesn’t follow kids as closely as the rest of you, does Corcoran have a first name? :)

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It rhymes with "rat."

gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Befuddled

Befuddled Member

Swansea City
    United States
    Mar 27, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know when they play Spain today, if they haven't played already?

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Dom Rotundo Efrain Morales didn't make the trip for this camp as he got injured a couple days earlier.

ChuckMe92, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Never understood why it's so hard to take a photo of the XI and put it on Twitter. I think this match started at 2pm EST - 7pmBST

Befuddled, bballshawn and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At half time USA is up 1-0 via David Oliva (Fede's dad)

Luksarus, Pl@ymaker, bpet15 and 2 others repped this.
  12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently 1-1 and Spain scored from a free kick. About 10 minutes left in the game. Samuel Jones scored the first half goal. I have no idea about who started but I know Evan Rotundo subbed on at around the 75 minutes...pretty bold to not start the best player in the team.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final update: u17's lost to Spain 1-2. Spain scored a free kick midway through the second half and scored on a stoppage time corner. Positives for the game are that they nearly beat Spain without most of their first choice players.

Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the team is at full strength I wouldn't expect this to happen often. This cycle has a lot of players who are very physically imposing. With exceptions of Rotundo, Rokus Pukstas, Victor Valdez, and Allan Rodriguez every player who I like should be a great option in the box on corners.

Arantes repped this.
  15. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I’m looking forward to reading about this match sometime in April.

16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yup it has become burdensome to follow u17s with the lack of info

17. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and ckajMonet repped this.
  18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman, USSoccerNova and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Maybe genetics will surprise us but Rotundo may not grow past 5' 8''. Auvray is also not very physically imposing right now but his father is at least about 6''. There's hope.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe they probably lined up something like this.

Slonina
    Tanton-Leone-Jones-Wiley
    Yohannes
    Booth-Valdez
    Auvray-Toure-Oliva

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    U.S. Soccer report here, which notes:

The USA will be back in action against England on Feb. 21 and wrap up the tournament vs. Denmark on Feb. 24. These matches are the first of the new 2020-21 cycle for the U-17 MNT. Rules for the tournament dictate that each player on the roster is required to play at least 90 minutes over the three matches.​

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...in-first-match-of-uefa-development-tournament

That release also shows the Spain callups; I haven't looked for the England or Denmark ones.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it interesting that they gave valdes the 10 jersey instead of Rotundo. Valdez had a very solid concacaf u15 tournament so maybe he's jumped Rotundo in the coaching staff's eyes.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also should be noted how much Nati Clarke is needed at the LB spot. Wiley got the start there and is no where near any of the LB's of the last cycle. John Carlos-Cortez is not as good of a NYRB prospect as Tolkin was.

24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Nati left footed? I thinkI've only seen about one clip of him but in my mind he's a right footed player.

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's left footed

TarHeels17 repped this.