2021 TV

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Those weighed SOOOOOOOOO much

> Twitches from bad memories of carrying those things....

TRUJDUB, Robbo Crewfan, MLSinSTL and 2 others repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Only a nuclear weapon could move them.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I grew up watching Charles in Charge on WUAB TV43 on one of those things.

Bonus points for the VHS/DVD combo on top.

4. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At one point ours died and instead of moving it, we just put the new, lighter TV on top of it.

TRUJDUB, redi44crew, catfish9 and 3 others repped this.
  5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a Jeff Foxworthy joke...

6. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It lasted a few months (probably over winter) until my parents had time to get it loaded up and taken to the dump. We lived in the middle of nowhere so there was no trash pickup.

7. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no shame. Mine was the house that moved the non-working TV (and other dead appliances/electronics) to the basement waiting for someone to finally get around to fixing it.

Hint: No one ever did.

8. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did that too?

When I did it, the big heavy console on the bottom was a 25" black & white TV. Beat that!

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had multiple of those tv consoles in our house. Pops was an electronics teacher. So every television in our house came from a donated television that was fixed in his lab. My folks did not have a “new” television in their house until we bought them one in the late 2000s.

TRUJDUB and catfish9 repped this.
  10. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 boomshea, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    I think our new one was a 32” CRT TV, it was color though! We didn’t have cable or satellite until I was 15 so mostly it was used for NES/SNES. We did have a 60 foot antenna tower with a mechanical rotator so we could get Dayton or Lima channels. On clear nights we got some Columbus channels even.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had one of those when Mrs KG and I got married. In later years it served as the stand for the TV we *did* use.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinclair Broadcasting, which bought the Fox Regional Sports Networks in 2019, with gambling giant Bally's is rebranding the RSN'S.

Sports Time Ohio will become Bally Sports Great Lakes and Fox Sports Ohio will become Bally Sports Ohio.

It's not a merger but rather Sinclair is selling Ballys the naming rights to their channels as they move closer to full time gambling programming.

13. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense, considering how much World Series of Poker crap they show. They could call it Ballys Poker, Jimmy Hanlin Golf, and Occasional Live Sports Ohio channel.

catfish9 and Bill Archer repped this.
  14. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a kid, my dad told us that the TV console was broken. We trusted him and never touched the TV, for a year. Then, on a fall Monday night, I woke up and went downstairs to find my dear old dad watching Monday Night Football on the broken TV console!

As Steinbeck said...
    "When a child first catches adults out -- when it first walks into his grave little head that adults do not always have divine intelligence, that their judgments are not always wise, their thinking true, their sentences just -- his world falls into panic desolation. The gods are fallen and all safety gone."

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are few things that make me sound older than my disinterest in navigating, what seem to me, ever-changing, Byzantine, and unreliable TV packages in what's often a frustrating attempt to watch my favorite team(s) play. It's why I'm pretty firmly in the "******** it" category, and will chug on, a reasonably happy cable cutter who'll hopefully be able to go to games, in person, this year, and check out some games in local pubs if the mood strikes.

Robbo Crewfan and LaMacchia repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And were much the better person for it.

If I were asked for just one piece of child-rearing advice, it would be to put your foot through the f*cking boob tube.

Also, FWIW, a very wise women once wrote that you needn't bother asking your wife what she wants to watch on TV. Secretly, she wishes you'd turn the damn thing off.

17. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False.

She loves TV. All the programs that would make you run from the house screaming. The only thing she doesn't like about TV is all of the shows you feel are actually worth your time. Such as live sports.

18. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't miss a thing without the TV. I always thought it was a funny story and today I wish I didn't have the TV, the phone and the internet. But I'm also one of those horrible parents that sets time limits on the use of all of the above. The challenge is trying to realistically limit screen time across multiple platforms!

19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much this. Especially because I - for all intents and purposes - don't watch sports.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that talk about broken TVs stacked on top of each other is Jeff Foxworthy's dream come true.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #46 Kryptonite, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021

And you just KNOW Oliver Tse is hurting over this. He sold his website to get into the televised poker industry, back when ESPN was showing a lot of it before the crackdown.

Even without a pandemic and before the Bally's branding, they were showing a lot of that. But then again, who actually watches that stuff? It's probably a better business decision to sell a guaranteed number of commercials every half-hour than it is to show a game from 2-3 years ago that won't have the same amount of commercials.

How many people are really going to watch an RSN at 4pm Wednesday that isn't showing a live game?

With that said, it's sad that the channel isn't "All Ohio, All The Time" like it could be.

22. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I'm not proud of this

But I totally read this while imagining you as Dwight from The Office...

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=23943

24. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bally's direct to consumer product will not come until 2022 and will only provide access to "certain content from our RSNs, as well as other unique content." So, no guarantee even then that if you subscribe, you'd be able to watch any live games.

https://thestreamable.com/news/sinc...fox-sports-rsns-direct-to-consumer-until-2022

Edit: also, as a Crew fan in Dayton that can only access the matches via the app, I am not confident this app will rollout smoothly. So early season matches will be an adventure to watch I am sure.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Increasingly, as someone who cannot get cable, a not insignificant subset of the viewing population is being left at the curb.

The best I and my neighbors can do is satellite internet which is simply not fast enough to stream anything.

So sure, make it impossible for me to watch games. Greedy f*ckheads.