2021 TV

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Feb 1, 2021.

1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if they will offer live betting on games, directly from the TV console.

3. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK great news. Next hurdle is getting their app compatible with all of the streaming devices: Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, et al.

Towards the end of last season, I ended up watching most of the games on my work computer and plugged into TV via HDMI. Somehow allowed ESPN+ and the VPN thought I was in many places but not Central Ohio. Would prefer not to do that.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That sounds like a really bad idea, actually. Like really, really bad.

LaMacchia and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that tidbit was triple Timongeuse but you're right.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    #6 Timon19, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Well, I mean, for your own future at your employer, I recommend strongly not doing that.

Maybe I'm extra sensitive to it because of my particular employer and the equipment they provide, and the nature of my job.

Funny thing is, like the older days of similar work, you could probably get away with it if you don't use the company VPN (if that's possible), like if you're in a hotel and have no private device as in the days before widespread modern cell phones - in fact it would be downright insane to do so on the company VPN - but OPSEC considerations plus potential abuse of company assets issues would make it inadvisable. Maximally so.

In the not-terribly-distant past, the only practical way to access private e-mail and personal, off-hours surfing while on travel WAS to use the company-issued laptop, connected directly, rather than through the VPN. Nowadays, it's no longer necessary or practical (and may lead to bad outcomes).

7. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't visit any website not directly related to my work with my work provided laptop. Just not worth the risk. When they decide to make lists of people to layoff, I don't want to be at the top of any list. Including inappropriate use of work hardware/software.

8. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume they look at every website I visit - including this one. And would be prepared to justify it versus my timesheet. And I realize it breaks rules and I am objectively in the wrong and as I continue to type people are shuddering at my hubris.

TRUJDUB and POdinCowtown repped this.
  9. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I am curious though - does anyone know how long the current TV deal with - now Ballys Sports - is?

It's a real killer with so many cable/satellite providers not carrying those channels.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's not the "visiting whimsical websites from time to time" that's necessarily the dangerous thing. People have been doing that since time immemorial with little risk or consequence.

It's the streaming that is the outstandingly bad idea. That's a much, much, much larger use of limited resources.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other places that cause trouble? Many sites now have automatic videos that run whenever you go to them. Many news sites are guilty of this. Those are a resource killer.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You know what can fix those?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not have options when I am on my work computer.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yes you do. You're just scared to death.

If I have options, so do you.

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bally Sports is just the name of the channel, they are still owned by Sinclair and they still don’t have a timetable of when they possibly will spin the channels off as a standalone option.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not 100% sure of what you are talking about here. For example, I can't run an adblocker as that would require changes to my browser--and I do not have the requisite permissions.

17. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sinclair owns Bally’s sports OH, Great Lakes etc.
    Sinclair owns Fox Sports Go app or at least has license to program it.
    Sinclair owns a contract with The Crew to broadcast a lot of games for the next so many seasons.
    I don’t care what they call the channel as long as they air the games. I’m not expecting big changes immediately.

boomshea repped this.
  18. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Yes - but - I would like it if they would be available consistently for a provider. I keep getting providers that carry the games, and then those channels get dropped. If they just make the channel itself available for me to purchase a subscription to I don't care what the channel is called - I'll pay for it. But when I got to pay a massive contract cancellation fee with a provider just so I can switch services...

The other downside - shite rural internet service.

Maybe Elon's Skynet - errr - I mean Starlink will save us one day.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  19. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Streaming a game over something like ESPN+ is much more likely to catch the ire of your IT department. A news site with a low quality video briefly playing is pretty unlikely unless they are really looking for it. I can tell you, we IT guys have much more important things to do than look at your browsing usage. We can, but don't unless asked to or need to reduce usage overall for some reason. We have much better things to do, like posting on BS or keeping an eye on Gamestock and AMC stocks.

Robbo Crewfan, catfish9 and POdinCowtown repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, for sure. In my exchanges with Ken, I didn't mean to make it sound like that was that huge of a concern. It's the streaming of long-form, high-quality video that is a bad idea.

Streaming over a company VPN that other people are trying to do work on is very bad form, and can get you in serious trouble. It also leaves you zero defense, since that VPN is 100% controlled by your company, and if they find out you're the reason there's congestion, you're ********ed.

21. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked this up for CBJ last week, until Bally's has the app working, the only place you can get the stream is on AT&T, $89.99/mo no contract, $69.99/mo if you get the contract. Not ideal.

22. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    That does get you CBJ, Crew and Reds or Indians if so inclined. In the long run, streaming is going to eventually even out or come close to cable. It sucks, but is reality.

23. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I switched to it this month at the $94.99 tier. If you don't care about DVR or pausing live TV it works well. The picture looks better then I got with Spectrum at least.

24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two big questions from me:
    1. What's a "TV Console"?
    2. Will Sinclair make their service available to non-traditional service providers (YTTV, Hulu, Pluto, etc)?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    [​IMG]