2021 The Netherlands thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by desinho, Jan 22, 2021.

1. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #326 desinho, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Another scandalous call by the referee in women's football :whistling:. This time in the Twente v Ajax match, shot on goal saved by the keeper deflects up onto the hand of a Twente player at 50cm distance maybe, ball going away from the goal. Decision: deliberate handball, red card and a penalty :ROFLMAO:
    Ajax poor in the match so far and 2-0 down not much earlier. Scored the 1-2 on a break and now leveled with the penalty kick ...
    'Ma gurl' Casparij with the 3-2 in extra time :cool:

Meanwhile the former headcoach, who a couple of weeks ago was a useless nobody with no coaching pedigree is leading the Bundesliga ;)

Also posted today, a tribute/commercial by the federations main sponsor on the 50 year anniversary of women's football

2. upload_2021-11-14_14-31-53.png
    After todays loss by Ajax, despite FC Twente being one player down, Feyenoord still is on top.
    Soon to be followed by the Feyenoord men team:)

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Injury and knee operation for Sisca Folkerstma. She is out for some time.

4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Damaris Egurrola for the Netherlands or for the US? It looks like Spain are out of the picture right now. In terms of playing time and a closer personal connection (Dutch mom and seems pretty close to her mom's side of the family), playing for the Dutch would make more sense; in terms of wanting a better chance at winning a World Cup and/or Olympics, playing for the USWNT would be the better choice. Damaris vs Spitse (any promising young Dutch CDMs coming up?) compared to Damaris vs Ertz/Sullivan; I think it's clear the Dutch have the bigger need for her.

5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Why not Spain?

6. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    It's reported that she's in the process of switching her sporting nationality.

Check out this thread.

sbahnhof and Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Didn't even know she was half-Dutch but is one of the players that caught my eye in the Spanish youth teams so would be a welcome addition :cool:

sbahnhof repped this.
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I read the Groenen is hurt and not in the selection for the next two international friendlies. Anyone know what the injury is? Nothing serious, I hope.

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I’m reading hamstring injury.

L'orange and Ethan Frank repped this.
  10. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #335 desinho, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Hadn't played for ManU the last couple of games so shouldn't have come as a surprise. Martens may miss the games as well since she didn't travel to Hoffenheim. But I read she only injured a finger on her left hand so that shouldn't keep her off the field for long ...
    Now that I was watching the Bayern - Lyon game it occured to me vd Donk is in the Lyon squad and I'm sure the topic of her having a Dutch mother would have come up at some point :whistling::giggle: (but I also saw Kika v Es commented on one of her ig posts from 34 weeks ago so probably no secret to at least a few players).
    One obvious defensive midfielder on the squad is of course Folkertsma but she has the legs to be the box-to-box 8 as well (pretty sure she played even further up front in the youth teams). Caitlin Dijkstra should be able to play that position as well but as we've read before she fancies herself a central defender ... Then they added Olislagers to the squad, probably a squad replacment for Folkertsma, who captains the U23 and has played that position occasionally but undersized and more suited for the leftback position.

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yikes: The Dutch will be playing the Czech Republic and Japan without 4 starters who are out with injury--Martens (hand), Groenen (hamstring), Folksmerta (knee) and and Nouwen (don't know). Not good--not good at all--for a team with limited depth. Who is going to play right back? I suppose Dekker will take Nouwen's spot in the back. Will be interesting to see how the Dutch play without these four.

sbahnhof repped this.
  12. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will honestly be a good test for the new coach. Groenen's absence is the most difficult to make adjustments for honestly but the rest have decent replacements. I'm not that worried about Czech Republic but Japan might give them a hard battle.

13. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Maybe Janssen at right back and van Dongen at left back. Beerensteyn and van de Sanden on the flanks and Spitse, van de Donk, and Roord in midfield. (I'm a bit undecided on whether I want van de Donk or Roord to play Groenen's role.)

14. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #339 desinho, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Dekker is not in the picture anymore. Gragt and Janssen is the obvious center with van Dongen at left and Casparij at right. Spitse and Roord, with vd Donk or Pelova at point. I'd put Pelova at CAM to give vd Donk free reign from the left, Miedema and Beerensteijn on right
    Japan is only a friendly and CR shouldn't be made bigger than they are, such teams should be easier to break down at home? Hopefully there'll be a crowd...
    Preview at the moment in the sports news journaal, heavy snow [emoji4]

sbahnhof repped this.
  15. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Match postponed until noon local time (CET), will still be broadcasted :thumbsup:

Re: the Damaris storyline, apparently Parsons has been in contact as well when they played the ICC in Portland :ninja:

sbahnhof and L'orange repped this.
  16. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Czechs take the lead with a fantastic goal. Could see it going in the moment it was airborne, especially with Veenendaal on goal and her having to move her feet [emoji849]. Turnover from a Dutch throw in, Roord careless in protecting the ball was dispossed which created an immediate shooting opportunity...
    Vd Donk already squandered a 200% chance earlier, point blank after an excellent delivery from the flank by Casparij.
    Now it might actually become a difficult one again...

Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wow: Just saw that Van der Gragt scored at 90 + 3' to save the Dutch--it ends 2-2.

sbahnhof repped this.
  18. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just all around bad today from the defense to the frontline.

19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Google says the Czech Republic took 10 shots with 6 on target; that's quite ridiculous. Both teams had 6 corners.

Van de Donk had a poor header clearance prior to the Czech Republic's goal last match, and her clearance before the Czech Republic's second goal today wasn't much better.

sbahnhof repped this.
  20. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #345 Ethan Frank, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Wow, that breakaway in the 24th minute. Šlajsová probably should have just played the ball straight forward a good distance (obviously not too much though) for Svitková while they were both still in their own half. Once she didn't do that, Svitková needed to slow down and get behind the ball so that she could be a passing option. Great recovery tackle from Casparij to make up for being dispossessed.

desinho repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    According to the posted lineup, Parsons started Pelova in Martens' spot. Has she ever played wing before? Seems like an odd move as she is all center-mid, no? Haven't seen Casparij play--what's the word on her? Wondering how Wilms is doing--supposed to be back in training for Wolfsburg. Can't understand why Snoeijs is out of favor---she's shown for club and country that she can put the ball in the net.

22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    It's obvious the difference Svitková made in this match for the Czech Republic, but the Dutch helped facilitate her influence with the errors they were making. Roord's loose touch for Svitková's goal, van de Donk's clearance to Svitková for Necidová's goal, and Svitková's corner for the header off the bar came after van Veenandaal had to save a point blank chance following a mix up between van de Donk and Casparij. I know a lot of fans have been and are being very critical of van Veenandaal, the defense, and the midfield, which is definitely fair, but I wouldn't let the frontline off the hook. Apart from Cyprus, I don't think Martens or Miedema have been particularly good this World Cup qualifying campaign so far.

23. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #348 desinho, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Pelova plays that position the majority of the time. For Ajax as an inverted winger obviously, and under Wiegman as well.
    Didn't really watch the second half but Casparij seemed to be making a solid debut in the starting lineup, other than that one slip-up which she made up for with her blazing speed (as advertised [emoji56]). Post-match score gave here a 5 [emoji1782] (and vd Gragt a 7 and therefore potm [emoji1])
    She scored an overtime winner against Ajax two weeks ago with a player down. Breaking to the left wing to receiver a crosspass and a nice left-footed strike right past the goalie's head. And she was the rightback then as well [emoji57]

24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

I don't ever remember Pelova playing up front for the NT and Wiegman--did I miss it? I remember her coming in late in a more than a few games, but in the midfield. In any case, she was not influential in attack in this match--at least through 70 minutes--and neither was her partner on the left side, Van Dongen, but then Van Dongen just isn't capable of doing much except an occasional cross if she's got time and space.

No one up front was very good. There were several good crosses into the box in the first half--some from Casparij, whom I thought was pretty decent overall (except for the one blunder that might have cost a goal except for her good recovery speed)--but no one could do anything with them. Van de Donk had a good opportunity off one of them--but her volley was straight at the Czech keeper. Miedema had a couple of decent chances--but didn't get enough on a header and took a shot from inside the box that didn't have enough pace or location. (She did have an excellent header in the 2nd half that would have been a goal but for a nice reaching deflection by the Czech keeper.) I rather agree that Miedema hasn't seemed quite as sharp or ruthless in recent weeks. Maybe she's just a bit tired--mentally, physically, or both. Arsenal's coach has made a point of resting her this month. Beerensteyn was also completely ineffective. She got a couple of good crosses herself early in the first half but could not bring down the first one and had a volley opportunity on the 2nd one but could only pop the ball up in the air harmlessly. They might have been only half-chances--but you need people to make plays, and she didn't. I seldom see her make plays for the NT, if I'm candid. A couple of plays by Van de Sanden also bugged me: She twice got the ball deep and wide in the Czech defensive third--with no defender very close--and twice sent crosses in the box. Fine, yes? But on both plays she could have--and should have--driven the ball to the Czech goal to draw some defenders who were in the box toward her--filled the available space--which might have freed up a Dutch attacker for a centering pass/cross. Didn't happen.

My take is that the team has been playing at about 75 percent of its normal intensity in some of these recent matches--and beyond that I think the physicality of the Czechs has bothered the Dutch in the last two matches between the two squads. At least we got a point, thanks to Van der Gragt, whom I'm really come to appreciate for her intensity and determined play out of the back.

25. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #350 desinho, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Pelova has been subbed on as a straight swap for Martens on numerous occassions under Wiegman. Iirc she started away against Slovenia when Martens was injured.(edit: apparently Renate Jansen got the nod then but was replaced by Pelova. Home against Russia she replaced Beerentsteijn and against Turkey replaced vd Sanden. Etc.). Against Belarus might have been the first time in midfield but she doesn't have the technical abillity of a vd Donk in tight spaces. Damaris + Folkerstma and Groenen up top sounds like a plan :laugh:.

Beerensteijn's best period in the NT was when Miedema was injured and frankly the team functions better when (or used to) she is playing at 9 (then again from what I've been reading about Bayern lately she,'B-steijn', is playing very selfishly these days ... probably fighting for her spot with the addition of a player like Jakobsson).
    Miedema apparently is complaining about the new system making the center of the pitch too crowded/ the attacks are funneled through the center with these inverted wingers ... or something. Not much different than Roord starting on the right flank and pulling inside all the time as well as Martens ...
    Probably still need to get a grasp on the new tactics, mentally, the entire team ... Belarus was a first glimpse but somewhat disorganised pressing :alien:.

Miedema, Roord and Janssen not in the squad tonight to get some rest. Six called up from the U23 team, might actually be a nice preview tonight thanks to mother nature on friday :sneaky:

Klingo3034 repped this.