2021 The Netherlands thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by desinho, Jan 22, 2021.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I went for a job interview at Opta and they have humans watching the games live and entering data in the software.
    I also note at games people doing vocal transmission for statistical purposes in the press box.

L'orange and Ethan Frank repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I question how accurate stats can be if they are collected by watching a match ilive. There are so many quick changes of possession, for one thing, that it cannot be easy for someone to keep up. I would think that one would have to watch a replay, and slow it down or stop regularly, to really get truly accurate stats.

This match against Cyrpus is exactly the type of game that needlessly drags out the WC qualifying process. It's a waste of time, money, resources. It's nice that FIFA wants to give every country a chance to qualify--but it's just not practical. As I've said before, WC qualification should be limited to the, say, top 75 teams in the national team rankings--or somesuch. The idea would be to shorten and quicken the qualification process so that it doesn't drag out for, what, two years---absurd. And there are lots of lopsided matches like this. And the players don't like these games against over-matched opponents: Roord called the match "annoying" because Cyprus's level of play was so low. I think Cyprus is 123 in the rankings. Belarus, the next opponent for the Dutch, is 53--but even at that number it is not a decent team. Formula One doesn't let people driving 10-year-old Kia's try to qualify for the starting grid at its races, and yet that's essentially what FIFA is doing with WC qualifying.

kolabear repped this.
  3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have someone double checking the data collected indeed.

4. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be elated if Parsons move Groenen upfront (swap her and Roord) even for just one match. I honestly think she will be as good as a forward.

5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Groenen definitely has some qualities that would translate well to RW - her pressing ability, her workrate, and her movement, which I think is pretty underrated. [These are the reasons why Stoney played her often at CAM (also her link up passing) and sometimes at RW.] The downside is that she probably/maybe would be inconsistent with her end product. I think she's quite good with her crosses/cutbacks along the ground, but her aerial crosses can be on and off radar. (Edit: This actually kind of describes Marten's game yesterday. Based on my recollection, her great/accurate crosses were pretty much all along the ground.) She actually has been in good finishing form for the NT for a while now; so, if there was a time to try her out at RW, I guess it would be now.

sbahnhof repped this.
  6. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #306 desinho, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021

Apparently a 7-nations tournament for the U23's, all unoficially of course. Should be interesting if they meet Spain who beat Italy 0-4 a few days ago.

Probably misinterpreted this post as there doesn't seem to have been a full livestream, only live updates.

sbahnhof repped this.
  7. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fun fact perhaps: she made her debut in the NT at left wing in the first match of the 2016 Olympics final qualifying tournament with Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. (Was also the last match she played ...)

sbahnhof and L'orange repped this.
  8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    In my opinion, the same qualities translate well to LW; it's just she's far more suited to traditional wing play than inverted wing play. Her assist vs Switzerland came while she was on the right, and she won the ball back preceding another Dutch goal while on the left.

sbahnhof repped this.
  9. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #309 desinho, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    In the end she is absolutely not better suited for any wing position than she is for a midfield role. Not explosive enough, no power for an aerial cross (consistently/time after time), no skill moves to get past her opponent one on one. I would think the suggestion to swap with Roord is to have her play it like Roord does which is pretty much to move to CAM and let the back overlap?
    There are so many more players coming up who could fulfill a traditional wing role better than Groenen, in tonight's U23 game there were four I could name already :thumbsup:
    But she does drift into that position when the opportunity is there and then does create something quite often. Not quite the same as having to start from there and then create something ...

kolabear and Ethan Frank repped this.
  10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I wouldn't say "no skill moves to get past her opponent one on one"; she's shown that a few times so far for United this season at least (drifting into such a position as you mention), but I definitely get your point. No disagreements overall though. I much prefer her as a CM.

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

Mostly agree--but it was Groenen's cross that led to the huge first goal against England in the Euro17 semifinal. But, yea, midfield is where she has excelled and where she belongs. She was brilliant in that tournament--and in that big game.

sbahnhof repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    When at Chelsea Jackie was playing as a right winger, the of course she went to Frankfurt who moved her inside. As a side note, I am really surprised Miedema was allowed to go home early. Dutch staff are nice to Arsenal.

sbahnhof and Ethan Frank repped this.
  13. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Groenen couldn't impact things with her crossing today (no one could really though), but she definitely didn't hurt my disagreement about "no skill moves" today. Yes, I know it was just Belarus, but her dribbling and balance today were very good in my opinion. Watch back the game for a bit before each goal, and you'll see Groenen doing well to retain the ball under notable pressure. She and van de Donk were the best Dutch performers today in my opinion. I hope Parsons took Groenen off instead of Spitse, Roord, or Martens for non performance reasons because I thought she comfortably outperformed all three of those players.

14. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #314 Ethan Frank, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    I know I'm biased, but I just can't with Groenen's rating. She was better/much better than both Roord and Spitse today, and saying all Martens did today was score isn't far off the truth in my opinion. At least, give Groenen a 6 and Martens a 5. Did Leonne just randomly give 6s to the goalscorers (not arguing van de Donk's rating though)?

Edit: The difference in Van Veenandaal's rating today and her rating vs Cyprus is quite humorous. Very much side with desinho that she should have gotten a 6 vs Cyprus as well. Not quite sure why Nouwen and Casparij scored so well (relatively), but alright.

15. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Yes some strange scoring again but at least Casparij deserved her 6,5 imo (if this was [ice]hockey she would have had an assist to her name for the first goal; if it had been anyone else that game that header would have ended up in the stands or the feet of an opponent and it might have very well ended up in a draw).
    Groenen has some quick feet for sure, may work and often does on those bait happy defenders/opponents but wouldn't come off against a top level one (imo).

Posted this in the wrong section:

sbahnhof and L'orange repped this.
  16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    See, that’s what I don’t quite get regarding Casparij. Some players wouldn’t get that level of credit for such plays. Without Groenen’s steal, turn, and pass to Roord, would the Dutch have even had the territorial advantage that led to Martens’ goal (i.e. the ball never got back to the Dutch half until after Martens scored)? I don’t think anyone else that game would have pulled off that play. I’ve seen Groenen pull off such plays numerous times vs quality opposition (just not so many in just one game), and I thought she was every bit as good as van de Donk yesterday (certainly helped van de Donk out on that steal when van de Donk seemed to go to sleep). Agree to disagree though.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I don't know who those player ratings come from--but I wouldn't pay too much attention to them. Didn't see the first half, but thought the Dutch were perfectly fine in the second. They were in and around the Belarus box for most of the 45', threatening to score time and time again. With a bit more luck, precision, finishing they could have scored 4 or more goals. Belarus is a decent team that defended well in numbers.

I'm a bit surprised Janssen didn't get some minutes in this game. She probably was, too. Glad that Smits got some NT action--she is a talented young player.

I read that Wilms is back training again for Wolfsburg. That's good news. The story I read didn't mention the specific nature of her back injury--only that there was a lot of rehab involved, as we'd expect. Let's hope it's not a chronic thing for her.

sbahnhof and Ethan Frank repped this.
  18. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now I am just itching to see how Parsons fare against more superior squad and I don't mind if it's only friendly competition.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, the first half was largely just Groenen and van de Donk getting around and trying to make things happen. I found that foul call on van de Donk on the Belarus keeper to be pretty questionable considering the keeper made contact with van de Donk with her elbow just before securing the ball. That robbed Groenen of a fairly composed finish. There was also a foul call on Groenen before she played in either van de Donk or Pelova (I think) through on goal. Pretty incidental contact in my opinion, but fair enough call. Don't know how Martens missed that big chance involving Nouwen, Pelova, Groenen, and Roord near the end of the first half by so much.

I actually forgot about Janssen. I'd start her more often than van de Gragt at CB next to Nouwen. I rate van Dongen more than you do, but I get your point regarding her. If she was just more athletic, she'd be hands down a starter at LB for me.

Smits probably should have started the match yesterday with Roord or Pelova at CAM.

20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Van Dongen is solid, but yes, she is not all that athletic or pacey, and thus she has to play very conservatively against solid/good opponents. My other issue with her is that she can't beat a marker and get the ball up the field or take it into the middle of the pitch with her weaker (right) foot, and switch play. I don't understand how any longtime pro cannot play at least semi-confidently with both feet. Jansen is not great at it either, but she can and does go to her right and into the middle of the pitch occasionally. She's got a better right foot than Van Dongen, and she's more athletic, though she does typically have one bad giveaway in games against good teams with pressing forwards. Parsons made a comment recently that suggested he likes Van Dongen--and that worries me! One of the things that I like about Roord is that she can be on the right side of the field with the ball and she can turn and thump a beautiful pass with her left foot, with pace, to Martens or someone else on the other side of the field.

sbahnhof repped this.
  21. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Fair assessments. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of either van Dongen or Janssen at LB, but who else can play there?

Parsons also seems to really like Spitse and thinks she's very critical to the team. That worries me a bit. Yeah, in the second half, Roord did hit a quality pass with her left foot out wide to Martens.

I know I'm getting into this too much, but I've rewatched the play in the 9th minute. Van de Donk aerial duel, good first time pass from Groenen to Roord, Roord held the ball up well and played back to van de Donk, who played a good ball forward to Groenen, and Groenen then controlled the ball decently in my opinion before eventually doing well to turn past her defender and send a ball into the box. Now, at first glance, it looks like her cross wasn't that good, but that's actually a good/great place to put in a cross in that position. What the heck were Pelova and Martens doing? Four seconds for either to make a darting run into that area, and both of them do nothing because they thought Groenen wouldn't be able to do anything? The Belarus player who recovered the cross started off like 10 yards behind Pelova; the movement here was surprising to say the least. Okay, rant over.

22. Orange Lionesses Euro opponents data:
    upload_2021-10-28_21-0-49.png
    (winst-gel-verl) = (wins-draws-lost)
    EK-deelnames = EC participations
    beste prest. = best results

sbahnhof, blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  23. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #323 desinho, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Friday Night Battle in the Eredivisie for first place, and 'periodetitel' which qualifies you for the playoffs [emoji41]

Feyenoord v FC Twente (but Ajax and PSV are still in contention as well I see if Feyenoord doesn't win. In third and fourth place respectively right now and facing each other on sunday)

Casparij seems to be in the midfield holding position today. 0-0 at the break...

sbahnhof repped this.
  24. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #324 desinho, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    So far so terrible [emoji23]. Neither team can keep posession for more than 5 passes, this feels like watching a pinball game... or English football [emoji849] (or MLS). The worst game I have seen in quite a while and we had a stinker only yesterday with Monaco v PSV in the Europa League...
    The clock has been set back an hour last weekend so this is the first game on winter time and it's quite chilly outside, really the only plausibele explanation [emoji6].
    This game is so bad you could make a women's football blooper reel based on it alone [emoji85].
    Finished as it started so either Ajax or PSV can take over the lead on Sunday...

L'orange and Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #325 desinho, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Eredivisie table update: Ajax won the clash with PSV, convincingly (shut up that loudmouth PSV coach as well :laugh:. The replacements for their departed players not convincing so far. Lost Joelle Smits, Romee Leuchter and Kayleigh van Dooren, all talented players and got Amalie Thestrup [Denmark/Liverpool], Marushka Waldus [Dutch/Adelaide] and van Lunteren. Thestrup, a striker, hasn't scored a goal yet I believe. I see they had another Dane coming in Caroline Rask [AC Milan], hasn't played much so far. No starts as far as I can see ...)

[​IMG]