2021 Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the Crew. I am a devoted fan. But if the Crew spent a season, or two, or three, playing all their home games in Saskatchewan even I would start to lose interest.

There will never be a better time for the three Canadiastan teams to fly away home. The CPL needs those cities desperately, but not only do they not play in the CPL, they don't even play in Canadia.

How can they ask fans up there to take their supposedly first division league seriously when the only 3 cities in the country that matter play in another country's league and now play their home games in Florida?

It's not even funny any more, it's just sad.

Well OK, it's also a little funny

the_rickler, TKyle, TRUJDUB and 2 others repped this.
  2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. The rebranding is a perfect example.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS wants those markets. Particularly Toronto. And Vancouver is the Cascadian step-child.

Plus, I am not sure those teams are particularly keen on playing in the Canadian league. Road trips to Saskatchewan or Alberta vs LA and Miami? Hmmm. Plus less exposure and a lower level.

But if I had my druthers, those teams would indeed fly home and those slots would go to US cities (Phoenix, Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, Vegas, etc).

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That middle paragraph makes an excellent argument against promotion/relegation, FWIW.

I'd absolutely love to see Cleveland, but that ship sailed a long time ago. A stadium closer to Akron would have been a total joke and yes, one was considered at one point. Does Detroit even want a team? Indianapolis and Phoenix would definitely be on my "yes" list.

TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams currently in the top division are never going to be real high on pro/rel, since only the latter applies to them.

Kryptonite repped this.
  6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro/Rel will only happen if forced upon them by FIFA.

7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TRUJDUB repped this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we know that's never going to happen. What's so dumb about this is that we are effing light years away from this being close to conceivable, even if it were a common goal. We'd need multiple pro franchises in nearly every major market - and, obviously, support for those teams - operating at different tiers of the pro soccer hierarchy. We'd need continuity between one tier and the next, both in quality of play and of facilities. As much as I love the sport, soccer will never be that big in the States, as much as anything because the sports landscape is already so full of pro and college sports league competition.

Whatever. Personally, I'm fine with how things are evolving: MLS sets up shop in the country's biggest markets (2M+, more or less); USL Championship (assuming most MLS-run franchises eventually shut down) gravitates to cities just below this, plus a handful of bigger markets MLS hasn't managed to acquire.

And so on. The description isn't perfectly accurate, admittedly.

We know MLS has the deep pockets to sustain itself through the end of the pandemic. I just hope USL can maintain a structure that, IMHO, looked pretty promising. I'd love to see lower division pro soccer in the States really blossom.

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Div 2 & 3 soccer have really taken off over last few years. Some teams are heavily investing - Love what Louisville has done. Eventually that investment will pay off. I can totally see in next 10 years multiple D2 teams winning USOC. when that starts happening frequently, we might see a paradigm shift and pressure to open up the system. At very least we might see multiple tournaments that include those lower level teams. That will really help those teams build their brands and fanbases.

TKyle and Tobias C repped this.
  10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It's not that unusual for a lower level team to make the USOC quarter, even semifinals. Depends on how seriously the big boys take it.

Tobias C repped this.
  11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant believe no one has come here to trash my view points. What board am I on?

12. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dos anyone know who will be televising these CCL matches?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I not hear somewhere that FS1, FS2 and TUDN will?

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Sports holds the rights to any and every soccer game played under the auspices of CONCACAF until 2023. No one need look elsewhere.

The only question is whether and where they will broadcast it. And I doubt if that has been decided.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens other places too, at times. RW Essen is in the German Cup quarter final, along with two second division teams this year. One of those three will be in the semis due to pairings.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On DeWine's presser today, Randy Ludlow from the Dispatch asked about sports team capacities. DeWine said they will have an answer coming, but they're hoping to start at around 30% capacity and "will go from there". Could vary up or down depending on specific stadium configuration. The various virus "variants" could also influence that plan.

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  19. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, about 6,000 for Historic Crew Stadium

TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I posted such in the caronavirus thread. Due to who said it, I could see it going off on a tangent. It got posted twice. Oh well.

21. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's 4x the capacity they were running towards the end of last semester. I'm pretty sure there's more than 6,000 STH.

22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would actually be a good turnout for CCL match. Be interesting to see what attendance looks like. Also interesting to see how they will handle in relation to season tickets holders. With limited tickets to future league games to they allow people to swap one of their regular season tickets for that game?

23. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schedule still a few weeks away.

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'd have thought the Canadian teams would have already picked a home away from home to play their matches until freedom of movement across the border is restored.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #75 Bill Archer, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Vancouver will be playing in Salt Lake. I'm pretty sure it's official.

It's also likely that TFC will be in Tampa, but that's not finalized.

Club de Foot de Imbecile will skip the season entirely and no one will notice.

TrueCrew and TKyle repped this.