2021 Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Jan 25, 2021.

1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Columbus Crew SC, the 2020 MLS Cup champions, will start the 2021 season in early April, Major League Soccer announced Monday.

The season will start April 3 and feature 34 matches for each of MLS' 27 clubs, according to the league.

The 2021 regular season will conclude on Nov. 7, and the 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs will start on Nov. 19 and conclude with the MLS Cup final match being played on Dec. 11.

The Crew's specific schedule will be announced "in the coming weeks," according to the league.

The 2021 season promises to be an eventful one for the Crew. Not only is the team coming off a championship season, it also hopes to move into its brand-new stadium, now under construction in the Arena District, later this year.

Preseason training for the 2021 season will start on Feb. 22.

Unknown right now is how the season will include the three Canadian clubs amid travel restrictions between the U.S. and Canada. MLS said it is continuing to work on that issue.

The 2021 season will look similar to the 2020 season in terms of Covid-19 protocols.

"Similar to the 2020 MLS season, Covid-19 testing protocols will again play an important role in MLS’ competition framework," according to the league. "MLS continues to work closely with the league and (player's association) infectious disease advisors on health and safety protocols, including testing. During the regular season, all players, technical staff and essential club staff will continue to be tested every other day, including the day before each match day. In addition, clubs will take chartered flights for all road trips until further notice."

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the end of the season/“DECISION DAY!!!” and the playoffs are separated by the FIFA international window in which the USMNT is at home to MEX and are away at JAM in WCQ.

5. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question is who gets that Mexico game us or Cincinnati? Has to be one of us right?

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It should be us. Why would Cincinnati be in consideration any more than any other place?

TrueCrew and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  7. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shiny new stadium too. And effectively same demographics for ensuring Pro-US crowd. I'm guessing US Soccer will spread their games across the many new stadiums. But also might chase the money and go for bigger stadiums.

TKyle repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    For that game, what USSF needs most is the best chance to win. Nowhere else has the track record of Cbus. We had a late collapse and lost for the first time in the last game but that can easily be attributed to Jurgen.

TKyle and Kryptonite repped this.
  9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're preaching to the choir.

Attribute it to Klinsmann if you want, but the US did lose to Mexico in Columbus, so the 2-0 bubble has burst. And there are other stadiums that could host it now, in markets where the Fed could wrangle a pro-US crowd. I think we have a damned good shot at hosting again, but only because of the new stadium and training facility, and because we've successfully hosted a lot of US national team games here. I'll be disappointed if we don't get that game, but not shocked.

crew2112 repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 Bill Archer, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    On another topic, since I seeem to be making a lot of predictions lately, I will go on record that if Columbus plays Austin in 2021 it will not be in Columbus.

MLS has been convinced for years that Crew fans are drunken thugs, the hoolies of the league and unruly, obscene and out of control. Dons most recent receptions here have done nothing to change their minds.

They are surely concerned about fan violence if the Broccoli Warriors show up in CBus. At the very least a whole bunch of loud, rude and ungentlemanly behavior.

They wont let it happen.

11. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a safe prediction. Our FO has said they don't want that team playing in Mapfre.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus should absolutely get a game.

Why not make it Mexico? Aim high, right?

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 TKyle, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    The way I see it, objectively, the MEX game will be in either Columbus, Minny, KC, or Cinci. Midwestern metro areas with small MLS stadia with some distance from higher populations of Mexican fans in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast/Fla, Texas, and Cali.

Of course we MUST have as many home field advantages as possible. These four cities not only give us the best shot at a good "home" crowd, but also, with the match in November, some cold weather would give us another advantage.
    Now, subjectively, I want the match in our new stadium. Columbus has a great track record as host of this match, and I think our new stadium gives us a leg up on hosting the match. "Can the magic of Columbus be re-ignited?" (If there were no new stadium yet, and the Crew played all of 2021 at MAPFRE, I'd say there'd be no shot for us hosting MEX.)

Also, keep in mind, this time it's not "The Hex", but there are 8 teams, so the US has 14 games, meaning seven home matches. We will undoubtedly get a match, and Cinci has a very good shot at one as well (see Midwest comment above, which applies to fans of other Central American teams as well).

I would like to think that USSF has learned the lessons of DC/Honduras of 2001 and Red Bull/Costa Rica of 2017. It is imperative that we qualify, attendance money be damned. In fact, I would argue that not being in the WC costs the Fed, and SUM, a lot more money than playing a quallie in front of a bigger but "away" crowd at the Greater Anacostia Raccoon Wildlife Refuge, for example. (Yes, I know it's closed as a stadium, but you get my point). However, this is the USSF we're talking about here--the ones who decided to play Costa Rica in the New York metro area, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure cold weather is a factor. The players who will make up the Mexican team don't necessarily come from the Mexican league, as they did from 2001-2009.

If we (or Cincinnati) get a game, I wonder if that's "DOOOOOOOOM" for the other city. Would USSF want to put two games so close together?

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not rule out Denver at that time of year. But you never know what weather you will get. We were out there in mid-October a couple of years ago. The first part of the week, it was in the 80s. On Wednesday at noon-ish, it was 80. By the next morning, it was 13 with 3 inches of snow.:eek:

16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think both Columbus and FCKY get a game. I think it will be one or the other. And I'm guessing the fed will see both as being effectively equal with 2 potential key deciding factors - Columbus' History and the slight difference in stadium capacity (26k vs 20k).

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, Cincy is on the 2026 list while Columbus is ... not.

18. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our new stadium has 20,000 seats. Our capacity will be a bit higher. There is standing room in 2 decks above the Nordecke. Also to the right of the press level is a large open area. I would think 22,000 is doable if the demand is there.

19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But FCKY is still larger and may also be able to fit even more - maybe as high as 30k - IDK? Thas my biggest fear with basically competing with them for the Mex game.

TyphonInc repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't happen, but how ideal would it be to be qualified and host them on the last match day and be able to host it in a place like JerryWorld?

21. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.
    My $0.02.
    If the USSF thinks Columbus and Cinci are too close together to both get WCQ's, I gotta think Columbus gets the nod due to our history and track record.
    So...instead of a quallie, Cinci's new stadium might be a venue for group matches for the 2021 Gold Cup (assuming that the USA is the host, which I don't believe has officially been decided yet).

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong (I've sunk about 3 minutes into researching this) but it looks as though Cincinnati has hosted a total of two US Soccer matches in its history: a 0-3 loss to Venezuela by the men's team in 2019, and a 2017 women's match vs. New Zealand (a 5-0 win) in 2017. Both at Nippert. The men drew 24K, the women 30K.