News: 2021 Season news and discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Apr 14, 2021.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This flew over my head. Is this a reference to something that happened in the past?

2. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not a reference. I just mean if you check out the announcement on twitter you'll see a lot of fans from his last team expressing disappointment in his departure.

3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I love that he has the nickname, "The Hitman"

RSLer repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I posted that I wasn’t aware that he has been on loan at Cartagena. I thought he was coming directly from Aris.

5. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #206 15 to 32, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Interesting that the league site is publishing this and not soapbox - where the reporter in question publishes his work. Also interesting that, if you listen to the soapbox podcast, the beginning of the quote from Freddy is not included in the mls article. Essentially Freddy said that Lucas Muller doesn't know soccer. Which... wow.

The Petke similarities just keep coming

Rusnak's spot in the team seems pretty untouchable to Freddy. Which is so insane given the guy is producing, from a statistical standpoint, on the same level as Donny Toia and Erik Holt. Rusnak doesn't play a position that can be passed off as "well the guy puts in the work". He has zero assists. Zero goals. He hasn't been rated as MotM this year. That's not acceptable for the guy that plays in a pivotal position and who gets paid what he does.

All of the attributes that Freddy throws out for defending Rusnak (hard work, standard setting, gets the ball in areas, "habits", etc.) are laughable. This guy doesn't have a ********ing clue

jessyca, acima, RoyalNonesuch and 2 others repped this.
  7. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paused around "he gets the ball in... areas". Feels like a word is missing there. "Good" or "dangerous" come to mind. The omission is telling.

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

I saw the quote on Twitter and was immediately impressed with how Freddy took offense at the question and demeaned the asker. Nice work.

It’s no mystery that I have zero faith in Freddy and this response makes respecting him questionable. But it’s not like my opinion matters.

I kinda understand his defensiveness though. You could ask him the same question. What has he actually done to warrant his role at RSL any more than Albert? Not much.

I have been listening to the Reality Check Comprehensive History of RSL and found it rather telling when talking about how Freddy came to be the RSL head coach. He was the obviously easy reason is what was the consensus by Dunny and the crew. But still they gush about how Freddy is this tactical genius that Petke relied on for help and advice who at the end of the day made Mike an average coach. Literally if you look at his record at RSL.

My biggest fear, and what really keeps me from letting my inner pollyanna out, is that Freddy, with the new seemingly decent signings will coach this team to mediocrity and the playoffs. Then get an extension and we linger in mediocrity for a couple more seasons until it all goes the way of Petke and Cassar. Thus wasting more time on below average MLS coaching for RSL.

I WILL GLADLY EAT CROW THOUGH. GLADLY! Prove me wrong Freddy.

I sincerely doubt it will come to that though. I don't see Freddy becoming anything more than he already is at this moment. A below average HC.

#tacticalgenius

My hairy ass.

9. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - in this era of organizational chaos Ive tried to be more patient and objective than I was with the Jeff. That’s getting more and more challenging.

10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that according to Freddy we should be judging our attacking players on more than just goals and assists. That's kind of their primary job, especially forwards. We're not going to be winning any trophies by working hard and 'putting the ball in areas'

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. If the "other things" included savvy runs that opened up the space the other person came into and had a good look at goal, or (like Rubin last week) drawing two defenders so there was space for others to operate, then I'm there.

Rusnak used to be be the player who opened space for our other attackers. Now teams tilt away from him - they don't leave him wide open, but he's less a scoring threat.

With the new signings - which I hope gel - we'll have threats everywhere across the front. That'll be amazing. It also means Rusnak has some time to get going, and given what the team will look like the rest of the season - the other options - I am willing to give it to him.

Med_Phys and Allez RSL repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    For Rusnak the only real option is to play him in an effort to try and figure out how to get him back on track and playing anywhere near his potential. Especially if you want to get him sold, traded or worth resigning in hopes of selling him down the road.

Perhaps a few non starts and early sub in's might be worth getting him re-focused but putting him on the bench would be a mistake. Sounds like we don't have to worry about that though.

Maybe now that the Euros are not an option Albert can start playing with a little more abandon because he doesn't have to worry about an injury derailing his National team call up. His worrying about a National team call up took care of that for him.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National team snub can hopefully be a source of motivation for Albert. It can potentially force him to re-evaluate his play, as in “Maybe the nice things Freddy has been saying about me aren’t accurate after all”.

Freddy has some interesting times ahead. We have 2 heralded offensive signings coming in. Will they get a fair chance? If they don’t I think the fan’s grumbling will be turned up a few notches.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

From what I hear, Freddy is a tactical genius, so yeah.

I really expect Freddy to sit Justin in back of the new CB.

Doubt he sits Albert any time soon though. He’s painted himself in a corner throwing out all that “if only you knew anything about soccer” love his way.

Julio probably hits the bench too.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't believe the growing hype on Bobby Wood. I just don't get it. I really want to believe he's going to be great, but the purely logical/statistical side of me says this signing is going to be yet another bust.

From my seat, Rusnak hasn't done anything on the pitch to warrant starting, let alone wearing the armband. I appreciate the effort off the pitch that Freddy spoke of, which speaks to more of why the club wanted him to be captain. But when a player isn't performing, no matter who they are, a rotation needs to happen. Otherwise, you're going to lose everyone else. I'm not sure how a guy like Chang or Meram can watch Rusnak's production and not get royally pissed off.

goobx1 repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how long until there's a more negative locker room. It's got to be frustrating to work hard every week then never see minutes. Especially when you've got players starting that clearly aren't pulling their weight right now.

Med_Phys and goobx1 repped this.
  17. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like this might have been mentioned before, but tickets are available for Vancouver's "home game" against RSL at the RioT. Looks like they're only selling seats along the west side of the stadium, but lots of availability and a bit cheaper than the regular ticket prices.

Home - Rio Tinto Stadium

Maybe we can buy a $10 Molson, eh?

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also they are selling tickets to WSL’s matches against LAG.

19. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goobx1 and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
  21. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schmitt's trajectory with this club is confusing as hell. I thought he actually looked decent in 2020 in the few chances he got, yet Freddy did the Freddy and refused to give him much more.

I hope this loan gets him confidence in minutes and he comes back improved or the club finds a way to make the loan permanent.

goobx1 repped this.
  23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I really hope that he goes down there and goes all Brody and tears it up at whatever position they play him.

It would go a long way to show if he is ANOTHER player that just needed some time on the field to shine and that there actually are players on the bench for RSL worth subbing into a match.

He could also not get playing time and help to infer the opposite but where's the fun in that?

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the sentiment of what you're saying here, but I would challenge it to be viewed from the opposite point of view. There are PLENTY of players on the field for RSL worth subbing out of the match. This is true of more games than not this year. Instead of holding the sub to a standard that they must perform at a level exceeding their replacement in a fraction of the time, why not make a critique of the player on the field who isn't performing?

RSL has dropped 5 points through goals in the last 15 minutes. RSL has conceded more goals in the last 15 minutes of games than any other team. The performance of the players on the pitch doesn't warrant them staying on. I don't care if the bench is completely USL level, the players on the pitch aren't MLS level.

Med_Phys, evilradar, 2nd Mouse and 2 others repped this.
  25. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that a lot of what we were discussing in the offseason? Just not enough top end talent on the team? I'm hoping we've added some starting level players. Not sure how much time we should give the team to incorporate the new guys. Don't see how it's going to work with the 4-2-3-1 they've played (for too long).

RSLer, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.