2021 Season Member Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Pauncho, May 21, 2020.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TKyle repped this.
  2. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_5703.JPG
    Please use a cuddle curtain to keep each other safe.

3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. I’ll drive to every game.

4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna swing through here and pick up a couple of hitchers?

Seriously, though, the wife and I are probably going to Cota down and Uber back for most weekend matches. I'm more concerned with the evolution of open container laws on Nationwide Blvd than I am with parking.

5. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will depend on the game. I have a friend that lives just off Goodale in Grandview so at times we may try and take a scooter or something from there. Early weekday game I’ll probably just park in the AD.

LaMacchia repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get part of what you are saying. BUT The seats are also not equivalent. Not angry--but the soccer better be better too. It is, after all, what we are going there for. As another poster noted, when I go to see the Jackets, I'm getting to see the best players in the world--even if most of the time they weren't the Jackets. Not so much for MLS. And we haven't been paying minor league prices for the Crew in the past 5 years anyway. My new seats will be about $10 more than my Blue Jacket seats for a similar seat.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a long term holder, all I felt I deserved was first shot at the new stadium. I got that. So no complaints on that basis.

catfish9, Minnman and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #858 Bill Archer, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    A few years back when international man of clownery Rocca Commisso bought the rights to the name Cosmos and then wanted a free pass into MLS on his own terms because reasons it was pointed out to him that ny then there were already 2 teams in NY and wouldn't 3 make it a bit crowded.

He arrogantly -the way he does everything - replied that there are five clubs in London so certainly New York has room for three.

He was wrong in about 10 ways but the two main ones were 1) there aren't 5 clubs (he meant Arsenal, Chelsea, Palace, Spurs and West Ham, one assumes) there are maybe 12. Fans of Millwall, Brentford, Charleton, QPR etc. are not one whit less involved or passionate because their teams are a league down.

But the second reason is why I bring this idiot up: there arent 2 teams in New York there are a dozen and they're called Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Nets, Knicks, etc.

They are the competition for sports dollars and tv eyeballs in NYC and the fact that Commisso doesn't get it is a marker for the reason he is a miderable failure who still employs Danny Szetela.

In the same way, the competition. for sports dollars in the US as a whole is not ManU and Bayern. Its the various NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB teams across the fruited plain.

Even when those sports do not have a presence in a given city, that's irrelevant.

Rather, the market as a whole is the market. You charge what the market charges, within reason.

As has been pointed out by others around here, this is mostly Columbus catching up with the rest of.the league and the market. As it must if you want the Crew to stay around.

One more note, a personal one: for many years, with little kids, wife in grad school and other stuff, we simply could not afford Crew ST's. We were lucky if we could manage a couple games a year buying lousy tickets at a discount. I envied those who were better situated than me but I sure never whined about it. Sometimes in life there are things you can't afford.

I never once in all those years, got angry at the team because they charged more for tix than I could afford and felt cheated because I was a loyal fan from Day One and thus they owed me something.Because that would be childish and stupid.

9. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Like I mentioned in the Facebook group, there are valid reasons for people to feel hurt. Not only did the price go up but they also reduced the payment plan option from 12 months to 4 and 6. I understand that. Yet people like to complain instead of looking at solutions.

For 2021, find others who are in the same boat and split season tickets with them. If you used to have two seats, let people know that you're looking for someone else who had two seats; connect and go in half and half. That way you at least get to go to the stadium for some games instead of being the martyr or rebel back home.

For 2022, as you already have an idea of pricing, from $650 to $1400 for non-premium, non-Nordecke seats, put yourself on a payment plan and stack away money in your savings account over 12 months. That way, when the time comes, you have the money on hand and start planning for 2023. It's called budgeting (which I know wasn't an option this year).

Last but not least, a West Side lower deck midfield club seat at Mapfre is not the same as a West Side lower deck midfield club seat at the new stadium. Just because you were used to "x" location, find the equivalent "x" location in the new place. For me, it's Upper Deck East Side. I'll have a similar view, the crowd noise will be more intense, the team on the pitch will be better and I'll have a good view of Hang's 180 foot wide "Fire Coach Porter" tifo hanging in the Nordecke.

LaMacchia, Crew96Fan and catfish9 repped this.
  10. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Also a roof!

catfish9, Bill Archer and DGA57v2 repped this.
  11. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    We don't want his tifo to get wet, now do we?

catfish9 repped this.
  12. Masefan

Masefan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 4, 2018
    My post was quoted so I assume it was read. If not I'll start again, I'm not angry. And I don't feel I'm owed anything. I'm making a reasonable assessment of value for entertainment $. As Mr Gilbert above stated, he was willing to go from 10 rows behind the bench to an upper end zone seat which is comparable to his Jackets seat for only $10 more. For me to get a comparable seat to my Jackets seat is $38 more. It's also 40% higher than that seat in Cincy.

puttputtfc repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a fair critique. Same league--similar markets.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    People feeling they are being priced out is always a fair critique. Columbus fans owe the league nothing after the way they've been treated.

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure.

Ass, grass or gas. No one rides for free!

In reality, it's such a simple drive from the west side. I park at Jackets and Clippers games as well as concerts and the rest.

The only thing I am concerned about is the 3-5 vehicles we tailgate with being able to find a regular spot to park together.

Bill Archer and LaMacchia repped this.
  16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no sympathy for people that are comparing Jackets tickets to Crew tickets.

At $10 more a seat, considering the number of games, it's WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY less expensive to have season tickets to the Crew.

catfish9 repped this.
  17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Friends don't let friends use the Crew Facebook page.

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm going to try the CMAX bus to go to at least one game. Drive over to the hub off of 161 and ride down to Nationwide.

19. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Was hoping someone would do a season pass. I don't mind the walking (I rode my bike from hudson to the stadium 2 weeks ago), but my parents need close parking. Now I have to hope that Nationwide is open for dropping people off.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I'd want to park there at night (and I live in the area). But then I used to park at Fern Rock station in Philly--but my car was a rather beat up '69 Impala with 170K on it at the time.

21. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is your seat in that location in Mapfre should have been 3X what it was. We enjoyed crazy low pricing for years and years and where did that get us?....#savethecrew. My seat more than doubled and I'm totally fine with it, because I understand the realities.

LaMacchia repped this.
  22. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, I'm hoping that COTA has at least decent security at their park and ride locations. Fortunately, I have a dashcam in my car so if anyone messes with it I'll be able to see.

23. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made all those points as well. My company was the old United jersey sponsor. When the deal came up for renewal, we wanted t keep it. But the price escalated and Chevy was willing to pay it. And guess what, my company stayed on board and paid the same amt they had previously to be the training grounds sponsor. The sponsorship $ is multiples of MLS teams - even for the smaller clubs. Shoot probably even for the 2nd and/or 3rd division teams.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy that completely. Had tickets been $10, maybe. Maybe. Lower, yes. Crazy low? No. Cf. FC Food Lion's new stadium prices.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of these days I'm going to have to ride that bus.... Heard good things about it. It does go through some rougher turf, however (South Linden)--which I used to drive from time to time as I once lived in North Linden--but rarely south of Hudson at night.