2021 preseason general discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 14, 2021.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The draft is done! There's still a ways to go before rosters are finalized and preseason, much less the Challenge Cup, begins, but there's still plenty of stuff to chew on before then...

Sky Blue has picked up a veritable mountain of cash from the draft, and LaHue has said it's all going to roster building (including the small chunk already spent to bring Cudjoe back). Will it be enough to bring them into the playoffs?

You can never count out Chicago and NC, but both teams have lost quite a few big names this year. Portland, Houston, and maybe even DC seem like safer bets for some of the six playoff spots this year. I'd bet on Portland for the Shield, but with all the changes this year, anything is possible.

So who does make that sixth playoff spot (if POR/HOU/DC/NC/CHI are five of them)? I'm sure there will be a formal prediction thread later, but it's fun to speculate for now. I don't see much coming out of ORL or LOU, but between RGN, NJ, and KC all seem possible... Though we still don't even know where KC will be playing their home games yet. :confused:

Here's hoping we get some NWSL-vs-NWSL preseason games scheduled before the CC starts up! And that we hear about the new details of the TV deal soon too!

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I’m not sure portland is a lock for anything with the core of the team gone for long spells.
    Best hope is to stay i striking range until after the Olympics and the two week rest after.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Everyone says things like that... But the Thorns don't seem to care about international breaks; in fact, it's basically an inverse relationship with them. The most recent time it happened in 2019, the Thorns went 7W/4D/2L through JJA (1.92PPG) vs 4W/3D/4L otherwise (1.36PPG). Similar thing happened in 2015, when the Thorns had 1.27PPG without the USWNTers and 0.89PPG with them. True, the Thorns struggled during the 2016 Olympics.... but that's because they only played one single game during the Olympic window in August, which was a loss.

Basically, since Portland has so many USWNTers and other NTers, what happens is that they basically get two separate "cores", with the presence of NTers across the league leveling out parity, letting Portland's non-NTer core thrive as almost a completely separate unit (i.e. so many pieces change that they simply have their own flow) while other teams have more trouble shifting just two or three important pieces in existing frameworks.

CoachJon repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Haha

your 2019 argument that other teams had more trouble integrating one or two players than the Thorns had with integrating two cores is belied by the statistics you just presented.

for one thing, they didn’t come back as a core. Different players came back with differing amounts of rest and differing injury.
    That supposed World Cup core scored one goal in September and October.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #5 SiberianThunderT, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    I think you misinterpreted my "core" argument.

Most teams have 1 core than includes their WNTers
    Portland, with so many, is forced to have two cores.
    Outside of big tournaments, the presence of the WNTers makes parity high.
    During the big tournament times, the other teams have their cores disrupted, while Portland wholesale shifts to their functional secondary core. (This last bit is the most important part of the argument - other teams are finding replacement players in existing systems, which is hard to train, while Portland just uses a replacement system, which is easier to train.)

Yes, not all WNTers came back at the same time. However, that doesn't change the larger argument, plus it actually explains Portland's post-WWC struggles all the more. With so many WNTers and not all of them returning at the same time, Portland attempted straddling their two cores, a problem that other teams didn't have to nearly the same extent.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree with STT. One other factor, however, that does not get enough credit, I think, is that when players come back from the World Cup -- and the Olympics -- they are physically and mentally exhausted. No matter how good they are, they are missing something.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One constant of the preseason is always wondering when the official schedule will drop. X-D

I expect that a Challenge Cup schedule might drop soon, but it may take longer to get a full regular season schedule... As we know, many NWSL teams share stadiums with MLS teams, and MLS had a CBA renegotiation issue that only got resolved today.

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Notre Dame website, the Red Stars will have a pre-season game @ Notre Dame on March 7, time TBA.

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Racing is also playing some games against local or college teams. Maybe Portland can again play against U-23s.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can’t see a u 23 camp happening in the middle of an abbbreviatred spring season

59Amerinorsk and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #11 SiberianThunderT, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    In semi-related news: the MLS season start date has been pushed back about a week, so it will now start on April 17th. This means that, for the second year in a row, the NWSL Challenge Cup will be the return of DI pro soccer in the country! :laugh::thumbsup:

=edit=
    Actually, I'm going to copy the above message to a new thread, because while searching for other comments about preseason games, I came across even more info about the Challenge Cup itself...

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Red Stars have been practicing but I have no clue as to what's going on. They always have a lot of players in preseason.

I am waiting to hear more on this though:

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Good to hear more investors are coming in.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IDK if it means anything game-wise, but the Washington Spirit are also heading to Florida for a few weeks of preseason.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thorns and Reign will be playing a pre-season game, apparently next week.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Even if it’s preseason good time to check out new players especially drafted players or undrafted players.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As mentioned in a few other posts above, multiple NWSL teams will be in Florida soon, and the Pride just released a preseason schedule that includes both DC and KC:
    https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2021/02/26/orlando-pride-announces-2021-preseason-schedule
    All games will be closed-door, I assume as COVID precautions. Interesting to me to see the Pride playing FSU twice.

21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    59Amerinorsk and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

With goals from nine different players, KC wasted no time getting down to business in its first preseason scrimmage! KC tallied

[​IMG] goals in the first half and

[​IMG] in the second for a dominating 14-0 victory against the Orlando FC Royals.

23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    14-0 against a pro/am team.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Drubbing a pro-am team (especially one that was even lower-division within UWS last year) may not be much to talk about, but KC is currently 1-0 up over Orlando in their preseason match right now, with about 10min left to play. Goal from Okimoto.

ORL is basically playing their entire first-string roster; KC did for the first half but not for the second (when the goal was scored)

(Kreiger out for 2nd half)

59Amerinorsk and West Ender repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, ok, but according to what I read about their line-up in second half, it's not like their reserves were actually all "second string" players: Michelle Vasconcellos, for instance, have been brilliant in Chicago a pair seasons ago and Mariana Larroquette is one of the most solid Argentinian internationals, to the point that she recently scored an header from an "impossible" angle in the SheBelieves Cup.

I mean: a good number of these KC second half players could quite comfortably be starters in a NWSL match (and some of them actually were).