2021 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180512022815/http://www.nwslsoccer.com/2017-roster-rules

Interestinly, no comprensive rule are on the current NWSL website.

Multiple Claims for the Same Player

If a Team makes a valid Discovery Player request and no other Team makes a Discovery Player request for the same Player on the same day ... the Player shall be assigned to the requesting Team. In the event a Discovery Player is requested by more than one Team during the Discovery Period, the League shall award the Player to the Team per the Discovery Order.

The Discovery Order is determined via reverse order of the standings from the previous Season until Teams have played at least three (3) League games.

blissett, lil_one and cpthomas repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And then Eugenie Le Sommer on her way to the NWSL according to the local paper Le Progres de Lyon.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, after losing Champions' League and possibly the league, OL are dismantling? :eek:

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And here people were saying NWSL was in crisis for "losing so many" top players...

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, the article seems to imply they will go after American stars, but will they get the last generation or the next one? And will they adapt to the style of play Americans are brought up with. They haven’t had an inclination to do so in the past. ( see Rapinoe as fullback).

6. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really? Can you elaborate? I'm curious about Fletcher.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure how much reliable my source is (a women's football Italian website), but it looks like Portuguese striker Jessica Silva (who basically just sat on the bench in OL in the last two seasons) was signed by Kansas City.

She was a sensation some years ago and after all she's just 26, so she could probably still do well and re-start her career.

Myrtle and Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Holy cow! That is a significant signing! No doubt about it! Surprised she be sitting on the bench for two seasons. Probably hurt her in the Portugal NT since they lost to Finland for the Euros. Guess she feel like she didn’t do much.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well NWSL posted about it to their social media channels yesterday around lunch, too, so I'd say it's pretty reliable X-D

blissett repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah Silva was not good enough at Lyon. You do wonder why they signed her.

11. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #36 WoSoFan, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    That is not what it appears to be. Those players have all resigned hefty contracts for at least another 2 1/2 years to play for Lyon. They are basically being loaned loaned out to OL Reign supposedly for 5 months from June 5, 2021 to December 31, 2021, and I doubt that December ending date is etched in stone, because Lyon is going to want them back the minute the Reign's season ends for them. Early December is when the 1st Champions League game is played, and that should not be a problem since the NWSL Championship game will be on Saturday, 20th of November.

There has to be something going on between Lyon and the Reign on just how they go about paying these players because there is no way they come over here and play for $5,200 a month, assuming they get the maximum amount. With Lyon starting up in September, they would be receiving 5 or 6 times as much, if there. So there has got to be some kind of arrangement they are getting that money in some way. What kind of creative financing will it be?

Hexa repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Could be OL and OL Reign pay half and half or so? Let’s say 1 player contract is 200,000 and OL Reign pays the max 60k or so while OL pays 140k while the player gets the chance to play and play in highly competitive league.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree OL Reign gives them the max on a US bank account and the rest of the money is paid as usual on the players' French bank account. It makes sense.

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I mean you have the whole roster of stars. I heard and read complaints of not able to play even though they considered themselves the best.

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hopefully Ada would come over as well in near future. OL can make it possible. Not like she’s committed to her national team.

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Yeah it makes sense. Also, I am sure that at whatever point the season ends, either the regular season or in play-offs, they are on the plane back to France.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In a surprise to virtually nobody (at least around these parts), Sam Mewis is back with the North Carolina Courage.

The wrinkle being that for 2021 she is a Federation Player on loan to the Courage, but in 2022-23, she'll be under direct contract to the team.

That will make her the third "Federation Player" eligible USWNT player to sign a direct club contract with the NWSL.

Hopefully the floodgates will open and the end of "Federation Players" is at hand, though I kinda doubt it.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And Rose Lavelle signs with OL Reign, $100k in allocation money headed to Washington Spirit.

SiberianThunderT and Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Possible that Spirit may use that money to sign someone overseas?

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Reign Man and CoachJon repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I admit that I'm someone surprised that she never really made it as a pro player. But then all youth stars don't always turn into adult stars.

She absolutely terrorized the ACC when it regularly had 8 or 9 ranked schools with 3 or 4 in/around the Top 5. And she single-handedly made Wake Forest relevant while beating All-American stacked defenses like UNC, FSU, and UVA.

She was a monster in college. A joy to watch. I would never have guessed that she'd turn into a journeyman player that eats minutes and provides depth, but never really showed the promise of her youth career.

Unless she chooses to retire, I'm sure someone will pick her up.

Reign Man, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--