News: 2021 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Dec 20, 2020.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Nah. That says a lot more about the Nationals organization than anything else to me. The list of people the organization has been "loyal" to from the Championship team (not even 3 years ago!!!) is a very short list.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Bottomline, as incredible as the numbers look to most of us, it wasn't a good offer.

3. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owners are the original parasites. But there have been examples of players who valued what the team was building, their relationship with team mates, the fans, the city that they didn't try to negotiate every last dollar out of a situation. I feel the same toward wall street types - how much is enough. When does the amount of money become obscene. And to your question @sitruc, a good offer compared to what?

The re-balancing of power in sports definitely a long due. In the end it leaves me less likely to care deeply about a team. Same reason I'm not going to have a favorite corporation. It's a relationship of money. It's transactional. It would be absurd to root for a corporation, to feel some unique bond with them so that when the do well I feel better, when they don't I suffer. For me, it calls into question fandom and it's value. Enough of sharing my personal perspective. Have at it.

4. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If fans want to get mad about the money, they should look in the mirror. We are consumers through and through, but the people hold the power to change everything.
    I only hope the nouveau riche spend altruistically and help the world. Often, they do and that’s very cool.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edison Flores had two assists for Atlas last night in their 3-2 win over Cruz Azul.

morrissey, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The team isn't building anything and hasn't since they won it all. They've sold most of the pieces at this point. This decision doesn't exist in a vacuum. The team is for sale and likely doesn't want a big contract on the books for a new ownership group. They made him a basic offer so they can look at trades while he has time on his current contract. He's closer to $50 million/year than $29 million. There's a big difference between those numbers.

yabo repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Soto just won the Home Run Derby.

Yowza repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    No matter how bad DCU plays, TFC and the Wiz just won't give up chasing the Spoon.

Winoman, song219 and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proving the critics wrong, the race to the bottom CAN be exciting ;)