News: 2021 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Dec 20, 2020.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I own that shirt, it is going to be a far more interesting design, with the mesh look under the arms and 3 horizontal stripes, than any black practice jersey.

I really liked our last home jersey, but only because of the template. They put the bare minimum into the design effort and I am fairly sure the away shirt had more effort in the story about our flag and the marble monuments than the actual design. The 2018 shirt was great.

Without the horizontal stripes, you're talking about a plan black adidas template year after year, which is actually not the brand that DCU's founders built. I am not necessarily averse to a plain black jersey, but put a sublimated design in it, the crest, an eagle, a skyline. Do something other than the jock tag, neck tape and the back of the neck graphic. I am looking at a lot of adidas templates from teams with a lot less history than us who have put a lot of thought into making something that looks good and stays on brand for a given team. I've seen zero effort since the 2018 jersey, beyond the must have elements for every jersey using the template.

Our brand was sunset with the 2007 jersey and since then it has been 2 crests and some fairly uninspired designs. Just put the right colors for DCU on the template.

Alejandro 10 and tallguy repped this.
  2. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the vintage white dc united jersey with vertical stripes. Only wish they'd have them in black.

3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs

Wow! Seattle threw down on their training facillity.

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    this is almost closer to Portland than it is to Seattle - jk

but this isn't anywhere near the stadium - the city stadium - which they don't have to expend any money or energy to build and develop

the equivalent for DC United would be a training facility in Charlestown

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It appears to be a renovation of an existing former Boeing headquarter building.

6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Funny you say that, Renton WA is only 12 miles from Lumen field. Segra Field is 10 miles closer to Charlestown WV than Segra is to Audi Field, which is 41 miles.

fatbastard repped this.
  7. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nope. Renton is to Seattle and its downtown stadium as College Park is to Audi Field. 12-13 miles and a half hour drive.

8. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Who remembers attending "meet the team" day at our "throwdown" training facility, the old Deadskins, er, sorry, the old Commanders, training facility near Dulles Airport?

That place was outdated even before the 'Skinz left, but it was one of, if not the best, in MLS at the time. I managed to the restaurant I worked at selected to cater a couple of those Meet the Team events - that was fun.

bigredfutbol, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I remember the team using that facility. The best facility is one that some one else has already built.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC beat the MetroDonkey’s 6-1 for their last preseason game.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Not good if he has Pontius type hamstrings. If 6 months of rehab didn't do the trick, I would opine the next step is surgery and no World Cup this year.

13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Both sad and funny -- a NZ player today had 3 own goals against the US Women. There's a hat trick, a Gordie How hat trick, but what do you call it when you score 3 goals against your own team?

fatbastard repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some people saying that it looks like he was holding his left hamstring when he left, which is the opposite hamstring to the one which caused him to sit out. However, 2 minutes before he left, you clearly see him stretching his RIGHT hamstring in the middle of the field, after a collision. I guess we have to wait and see. Either way, we had better plan to not have him.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was tough to watch. Moore was substituted in the first half and that looked like it broke her. Yes, all of the own goals were in the first half.

16. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear USMNT,

Do not use the hamstring or hernia surgeons that DC United does. Sure, they'll give you a bulk discount, but that's not a good thing.

Yours truly,

DC United Fans.

MattR, ejs1111, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  17. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    This structure doesn't hold a candle to the one-story steel warehouse building that DCU put up! :whistling:

18. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    And now McKennie with a likely foot fracture, with the final 3 games mexico panama and costa rica, the 3 teams most fighting for 3rd and 4th spot (other than us). CP needs to start playing within himself and lead this team.

Winoman and John L repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

the Sounders bought an abandoned warehouse

20. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and are renovating it.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    a new NPSL team is starting in Annapolis in 2023 with Beckerman being one of 3 owners.
    https://www.capitalgazette.com/spor...gn=Daily Top Stories&utm_content=791657188883

fatbastard, bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman repped this.
  23. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always loved sports. It was about community. This is our team, our players. I felt tremendous loyalty. But the way players are moving for money, money, money, money is killing it for me. I'm glad they have greater agency and control, but their lack of loyalty calls mine into question. Soto turning down $440M guaranteed over 15 years is just too much. F*ck them all.

Winoman repped this.
  24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a result of owners/FO not having any loyalty to the players. If you can get traded on a whim, cut, etc., why on earth would a player not look to get as much as they can for a small subset of their life while they are in demand so that when their career ends (likely in an injury) they have something to live on.