2021 offseason discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by slycat, Nov 10, 2020.

1. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well cost us the consensus #1 pick in the draft. That's good.

3. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dumbass trade. Traded for a backup midfielder and could have had a starter in Mayaka. Jones better be good.

4. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I guess devil's advocate is that they didn't think Mayaka was going to be there, but lord that sucks. Might have needed the GAM too I suppose.

5. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Also probably blew a chance at a Generation Adidas player

6. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The worst part was i didn't realize Houston made a trade until I saw Rapids had the third pick. I was so pumped thinking how lucky we got. Womp womp.

7. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, this was me

8. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well DC made some wild picks. Still some great CBs available.

9. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo pick Ethan Bartlow. They got lucky he fell that far I think. It is what they thought they'd get at the 3rd pick so I guess that works out.

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the fine print on all contracts right!

“We are pleased to add a midfielder to our roster like Derrick who will bring athleticism, mobility and energy to our team,” said SVP and General Manager Matt Jordan. “He is a player we’ve targeted for quite some time and someone who our staff has worked with in the past.”

Then there is this from the writer:
    The 23-year-old has been a part of the U.S. National Team system since 2016 when he made his debut with the Under-20 National Team for then-coach Tab Ramos. Jones made four appearances for the United States in the 2017 U20 World Cup, helping America reach the quarterfinals of the tournament. Jones also made two appearances for the United States U23 National Team in 2019.

Is that Club America from Mexico Liga MX or Colombia Liga Mayor or Brasil de Carioca league cuz "America" is not a FIFA nation last time World Cup Qualifying came around???

11. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    im happy with that. generation adidas contract helps

Ethos, *rey*, CeltTexan and 1 other person repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is his player page at the University of Washington:
    https://gohuskies.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/ethan-bartlow/11804

I agree!

Here is what his Univ. of Washington college coach thinks of him:
    Clark on Bartlow: "Ethan is a fantastic central defender that is dominant on both sides of the ball. His range of passing is incredible and he's dominant in the air. Ethan's time with the US U17 national team saw him handle many of the top attacking players in the world, so he will be ready to play against any of the top attacking players he faces this fall."

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    What was the deal in 2017? We swapped picks and got an international slot. Were we already over the limit? Cause I'm trying to figure out what we spent it on because the subsequent two acquisitions were AJ and Sanchez who both counted American.

So a team that sucked didn't even get a player for the pick.

Meanwhile at the 4 slot that draft you could have gotten Ebobisse Gressel Yueill.

This time we get a player for the pick swap but it's basically a backup. Context matters. He was a part time player on expansion Nashville after being a part time player on Philly in the years before they improved.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think a bad team should be picking best available and then sort out the rest from there. I think only the loaded title teams should be looking at it narrowly like "I need a center back." I mean, be honest with ourselves, we need everything and you dress 18. I think the idea we need a CB flatters the actual roster.

Also, a pick has x factor while a player tends to have a track record. We seem to do a lot of trading picks for bench players which gives some certitude but a modest return. It's like drafting an older pick who you know can play a few hunrded minutes. But to me we need starters and if you don't trade for one you've given away your lottery ticket in exchange for a player not good enough to start and change your fortunes. And we know this going into the trade.....because track record. Jones made 9 starts, 9 subs, 0g, 2a. What does that help?

To be fair, Dom often traded picks away. But maybe the value of a pick has eroded but we've gone from a pick trade helping get Mulrooney, Kamara, Oduro, Wenger, Maidana -- starters -- to getting bench in exchange. And Dom's teams needed specific help or you were redundant and wouldn't see the field. We need everything.

Part of the problem here is we are like a machine that aggregates others' surplus. To fix that you have to start insisting upon and chasing starter level players. Maybe the kid is but Jones isn't. He's basically a coach's favorite from U20.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    In old school fishing the fishermen would cast a wide net and see what they can haul in. So should it be for any last place pro team.

We know how this goes with our club.

16. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I doubt they thought Mayaka would fall to them. In the end they got the same pick we all thought they'd take. So it works out for them. But hindsight is 20/20 and Mayaka is a huge miss.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    US U17 gives some hope but shouldn't be exaggerated. He played 3 friendlies. He wasn't on either the qualifying team or the youth world cup team. While I am sure that's impressive for UW he didn't make the team and then never played for the U20s. And it says something he didn't go pro and went to college.

He played 3 friendlies at least 2 of which I think were Honduras. What are we talking about, many of the top attacking players in the world?

For comparison, Hoffmann was still getting US U20 calls last year while in a Bundesliga farm system.

I do hope he helps and hopefully he's as good of a defender as sold. I just think he was on the margins of U17 which is a HS age team and we're drafting him sophomore out of college.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Trading down to me is either you were unrealistic what would be available at the high slot -- so let's pout and put ourselves in even weaker position. The first three in 2017 were good. If we pouted and dropped to 10, having lost interest, several more decent players it turned out went 4-9. Pick 4 is marginal USMNT. That reads like you were emotional and misread the draft/combine. As it turned out 4 was fine and several in between and we even later traded for 9. Then picked 10 who lasted one season. That sounds like emotion and not rationality. You misread the talent. You pouted about who got picked early. You overlooked who else proved available.

Either that or some mix of too laser of focus comes in where all you want is one position and that makes you pout if your first choice is gone. Well, I wanted "position x," _________. is gone, so efff it, drop down, "I can get my second choice CB at 6." Later on we find out it was a good draft for mids when we were obsessed with backs. You overrated your talent at other positions and also overrated the position pick.

To me if the guy I want at 3 is around picks later when I choose I'd be concerned I sold my team short, the intervening picks short, or overrated the player falling back in my lap. I may think I got my 3 at 6 but everyone else seems to think he's not a top 5 or he'd be gone. (Granted, they could be picking for need.)

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i guess give some credit for picking a GA for a change.

20. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo pick forward Kristofer Strickler in the second round from VT

21. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd have been tempted to go for Bauer there, but who knows. You get two of the top 5 CB prospects and maybe one of them works out.

*rey* repped this.
  22. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No, but the title is youth movement and the Dynamo don’t seem to be getting particularly younger. My point is, if anything the starting XI is figuring to be older.

23. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Struna is 30 and Parker will be 28 by the time the season starts.

Corona is 30

Manotas is 25 and Bajamich is 21 and Fafa is 29

Elis is 24 and Lassitar is 26 and Urruti is 29

Overall starters are getting a little older.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Elis and Manotas are gone!

You're looking at more like
    Maric 25
    Valentin 29 Parker 27 Figueroa 37 Lundkvist 26
    Corona 30 Vera 25 Memo 25
    Lassiter 26 Urruti 29 Quintero 33

Bench Pasher 26 Ramirez 29 Fafa 29 Ceren 31 Nelson 25 Fuenmayor 24 Bizama 26

Do the kids even dress?

25. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    But it's you, they could win the MLS Cup and you'd complain it wasn't by enough. It was a good draft, we all know that. You never know how any player is going to turn out, but Jordan did well here.